Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Draupadi913
Level 9

Re: Selecting a netflix channel loses HDMI signal

Thank you, Genotype!

How are you able to tell what your Netflix is playing at? Are you looking at the tag that’s located underneath the program title like “HDR” or “HD”?  

Thanks much.

0 Kudos
genotype
Level 8

I actually check on my TV using "info" button to see what resolution it is being playing. 1080p or 2160p for 4k.
Roku Ultra
LG OLED55B6P
Pioneer VSX-532
0 Kudos
akent35
Level 10

"From reading your post, it sounds like you may be using the built in Netflix app in your smart tv. It may have a different build than the Roku Ultra that I have. In doing research and some info from @RokuTannerD, Netflix will only stream 4K with HDR if the display will do HDR at 60 fps."

That does not make sense.  Yes, I can select Netflix via the SMART HUB remote for my Samsung 65" SMART TV (icon is displayed along the bottom of the screen, along with some others; that display will disappear after a few moments, or i can "force" it to disappear).  But, I ALWAYS select Netfix (or YouTube, or YouTube TV) from the "grid" provided by my ROKU Ultra 4661R.  Logically, I would expect that choice to mean that I am obtaining Netflix through the Ultra, not through my TV.

akent35
Level 10

"Settings --> System --> About will show you full firmware version.

9.2.0 build 4750-46"

Mine says 9.2 Build 4750 (NO -46)

"With display set to Auto OR 4K HDR 30Hz, Netflix with only play 1080p, even with HDR. With display set to 60Hz, it will play 2160p, but that is incompatible with my setup and video is distorted. Amazon and other apps, with the exception of Disney+, play 2160p at Auto or 30Hz."

Our Samsung SMART TV does NOT have the HDR feature.  Via Auto Detect, the ROKU Ultra 4661R "selects" ("finds") 4K HDR 30Hz (HDCP 2.2)"  That setting caused me issues, and still does, even with the firmware update to V9.2.  If I select ANY other setting (720p TV (HDCP 1.4), 1080p TV(HDCP 1.4), 4K 30Hz TV (HDCP 2.2), 4K 60Hz TV (HDCP 2.2), 4K HDR 60Hz (HDCP 2.2)), Netflix is fine.  Also, for the setting 4K HDR 60Hz (HDCP 2.2), that has to be "forced" (stated by the Roku device).

Given that our TV does not have the HDR feature, why would I select that one?  I currently have it set to 4K 60Hz TV (HDCP 2.2), and Netflix "appears" fine.

So once again, I am asking the basic questions:

1.  What is the Frames Per Second rate for our TV?  How can I determine that?  Right now, with the Display Setting at 4K 60Hz TV (HDCP 2.2), that "assumes" a Frames Per Second Rate of 60 (I believe).  I guess a more basic question is what does the 60Hz mean?  I was under the distinct impression that it means 60 Frames Per Second (FPS).  The refresh rate of our TV is 120 Hz, but Refresh Rate and FPS are not the same thing (again, from what I understand).

2.  What resolution is Netflix being shown at?  According to the specs of our TV, it says:

"Ultra High Definition TV with 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)"

So, what Display Setting gives me that resolution?  And how can I determine that, after selecting Netflix? 

0 Kudos
akent35
Level 10

"I actually check on my TV using "info" button to see what resolution it is being playing. 1080p or 2160p for 4k."

What "info" button?  On the remote for your TV, or via the Roku Ultra?  And if it's via the Roku Ultra (I have a Roku Ultra 4661R), what button is that?

0 Kudos
mpompey0110
Level 9

1.  What is the Frames Per Second rate for our TV?  How can I determine that?  Right now, with the Display Setting at 4K 60Hz TV (HDCP 2.2), that "assumes" a Frames Per Second Rate of 60 (I believe).  I guess a more basic question is what does the 60Hz mean?  I was under the distinct impression that it means 60 Frames Per Second (FPS).  The refresh rate of our TV is 120 Hz, but Refresh Rate and FPS are not the same thing (again, from what I understand)

The 60 Hz referenced above is the fps. To see the fps Netflix is playing at, you press the Options * button BEFORE selecting a video for stream. This will display some detailed info at the upper left corner of the display. At least that is what I select via the Ultra.

2.  What resolution is Netflix being shown at?  According to the specs of our TV, it says:

"Ultra High Definition TV with 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)"

So, what Display Setting gives me that resolution?  And how can I determine that, after selecting Netflix? 

4K/30Hz or 4K/60Hz will give you Netflix in 4K UHD. Since your TV is not HDR compatible, they you don;t have to worry about the HDR option forcing Netflix to stream to you in 1080p. A give away that the Ultra has reset back into "AutoDetect Mode" is selecting a 4K Netflix show (i.e. Stranger Things) and instead of it being labeled "UltraHD 4K" it instead says "HD 5.1".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
akent35
Level 10

OK, an update on my "Display Settings" testing.  In terms if Netflix, yes, shows like Ozark, Breaking Bad, The People Vs. O.J. Simpson, etc. are being shown in "UltraHD 4K".  This is the case for the Display Settings of 4K 30Hz TV (HDCP 2.2), 4K 60Hz TV (HDCP 2.2), 4K HDR 30Hz TV (HDCP 2.2), and 4K HDR 60Hz TV (HDCP 2.2).  However, the 2 HDR choices (our TV does not have the HDR features) causes things I watch on YouTube TV to "stutter' in terms of the video.  In actuality, I have not re-tried 4K HDR 30Hz TV (HDCP 2.2), because either via Auto Detect or manual setting, Netflix (at least starting up) does not work quite right.  That is, at that setting, when I start up Netflix, just like before applying the System Update and changing the Display Setting, the screen would go blank, and I would get the Samsung-generated message about an issue with my Set Top Box (ie, the Roku device).  Only by turning off the TV, waiting about 10 to 15 seconds, and then turning it back on does that message go away.

Ironically, prior to the beginning of November, and with the just prior version of the Roku software, with the Auto Detection of 4K HDR 30Hz TV (HDCP 2.2), everything was fine, ie, Netflix worked like normal, and YouTube TV was fine also.

So, for now, I have the Display Setting at 4K 60Hz TV (HDCP 2.2).

Finally, where can I get an exact "statement" that the 60Hz parameter is the Frames Per Second Rate (FPS), and not the Refresh rate?  (As it is, the refresh rate of our Samsung SMART TV is 120Hz(.

0 Kudos
Draupadi913
Level 9

Thanks for this detailed info.

Regarding selecting the Options * button on my Roku remote (I have the latest version of the Ultra), before selecting a video to stream, in order to know what Netflix is streaming at, I have a question:

How can you know *before* you select a video to stream, what Netflix is streaming at, if there are different streaming formats in Netflix (HD, 4K, etc,) for different programs?  I used to be able to do that with Netflix, once I started streaming a particular program.  However, recently, I noticed, that Netflix will no longer give me that information.  (The only thing I see, is the label listed, underneath the name of the program, telling you what format that particular program is available in: ex: “The Irishman” HDR.)

I don’t have an HDR TV (mine is a Samsung 4K), so I recently called Netflix to ask them some questions.  First, I asked him about how I could tell what Netflix is actually streaming in, because I could no longer see that info the way I used to.  The Netflix rep (who was very knowledgeable), told me that that Netflix used to let you see that, but that option was no longer available.  (I have the latest version of Netflix: V 5.0 - Build 81179034).  I then asked him why the program I wanted to stream showed a label of HDR, when I didn’t have an HDR TV.  And he told me that this label is indeed showing you the highest format available for a particular program, but that if you don’t have an HDR TV, it will stream to the closest available to that format.  And he said, in my case, that would be in 4K.

Currently my Display Type on Roku, is set to “Auto Detect”, and in this display type, Netflix shows, that are available in HDR, show up labeled as “HDR”.  I experimented with different Display Types on my Roku box, and when I would change to a 4K display type, the program in Netflix would then be labeled as “Ultra 4K”, or changing Display Type to “1080p”, would then label the same Netflix program as “HD”.  So I believe the Netflix rep knew what he was talking about.  Just the same, I wanted to make sure, which is why I asked my original question, about other ways to tell what Netflix is currently streaming at, with any particular programs. 

0 Kudos
mpompey0110
Level 9

Currently my Display Type on Roku, is set to “Auto Detect”, and in this display type, Netflix shows, that are available in HDR, show up labeled as “HDR”.  I experimented with different Display Types on my Roku box, and when I would change to a 4K display type, the program in Netflix would then be labeled as “Ultra 4K”, or changing Display Type to “1080p”, would then label the same Netflix program as “HD”.  So I believe the Netflix rep knew what he was talking about.  Just the same, I wanted to make sure, which is why I asked my original question, about other ways to tell what Netflix is currently streaming at, with any particular programs. 

The Netflix rep was probably reading the official script, because what he told you has not been my case. So to answer the first question, how to tell fps and stream info of the Netflix show: Select the Netflix Channel App -> Select any Title -> Press the * - Options Button -> Select the episode you want to watch. Once the episode starts playing you should see detailed info in the upper left corner of the screen. The following URL shows how it works: https://community.roku.com/t5/Channel-Issues-Questions/Somehow-got-Netflix-playback-statistics-in-to... 

If Netflix is displaying UltraHD 4K, then it is streaming in 4K. Whenever it says HDR w/o Ultra HD, it was always giving me a stream at 1080. I confirm this via the Netflix app and the detail on my 4K projector. If you don't have an HDR TV then you are not missing much, 4K is probably going to be more noticeably with Netflix streams than their implementation of HDR.

0 Kudos
akent35
Level 10

You are most welcome.  I am almost "afraid" to let the Roku Ultra Auto Detect the Display Setting, for as I mentioned above, when that setting is turned on, it detects 4K HDR 30Hz TV (HDCP 2.2), which is "partially" incorrect.  My Samsung 65" TV does not have the HDR feature.  Also, I am afraid to "mess up" Netflix with that setting.  Also, for the setting 4K HDR 60Hz TV (HDCP 2.2), again as I mentioned, I have to first "force" that setting to be accepted, but then I have issues with YouTube TV.

As for Netflix, when the video is first selected, and Netflix displays information about it, it will show, near the top, whether it is 720p, 1080p, Ultra HD 4K, or HDR.  Once one selects the video to start playing, when that next screen appears, pressing the "Options" button on the Roku device (in my case, it is the button labeled as *) will show a label stated as Video, and then (at least for me) it starts with one video "setting", and then cycles through some more before settling on one final setting.  So for example, in my case, it initially showed the following in the order listed for Breaking Bad:

2.24 Mbps/720

2.86 Mbps/720

4.10 Mbps/1080

7.02 Mbps/2160

9.53 Mbps/2160

11.44 Mbps/2160

15.25 Mbps/2160

For Ozark, it was:

2.86 Mbps/720

4.10 Mbps/1080

6.05 Mbps/1440

7.62 Mbps/2160

15.25 Mbps/2160

For Narcos and The Irishman, it was many of those, plus some more.  But in each and every instance, it "settled" on the last one, 15.25 Mbps/2160.  The 2160 makes sense, as according the specs for our TV, "Ultra High Definition TV with 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)".

0 Kudos