Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpompey0110
Level 9

Re: Selecting a netflix channel loses HDMI signal

@Draupadi913 wrote:

I do believe this firmware issue is going to hurt sales.  I used to love Roku, but now I’d never recommend to anyone.  It makes me uneasy that these issues occurring.

Unfortunately it seems the trend for most consumers is to buy the smart app enabled TV versus standard components. As long as the stripped down Black Friday TVs still work, no one is going to complain too loud. Kinda like the separates vs soundbar trend. If it is still convenient and cheap, no one is going to care about quality too much.

0 Kudos
Draupadi913
Level 9

We’ve asked for them to rollback to the previous version (before 9.2).  But for some reason, they haven’t done it.  I too, want to wait before purchasing a different streaming device, because I prefer Roku overall.

0 Kudos
ad5wb
Level 7

New update installed Monday morning seems to have solved my issues, at least for 24 hours :-)

Roku Ultra model 4670X

software version:  9.2.0  build 4750-46

System is slow to respond but does.  Stays on black screen a for a few seconds, then launches Netflix without the Netflix splash screen:  goes straight into content

Has worked 3 times in a row.  :-)

0 Kudos
mpompey0110
Level 9

@ad5wb wrote:

New update installed Monday morning seems to have solved my issues, at least for 24 hours :-

Has worked 3 times in a row.  :-)

I'm on the same build 9.2.0 build 4750-46

While Netflix is no longer going to the black screen with no signal present. Now, if I leave it on autodetect, Netflix streams at 1080p. The only way to get 4K with Netflix is to manually set the display type to a 4K variant without any HDR options set.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
akent35
Level 10

"I'm on the same build 9.2.0 build 4750-46"

I upgraded about 4 weeks ago, and all it says on the System Update Screen is V9.2, Build 4750.  And I just checked, and it tells me that firmware version if up to date.  How do I determine if I indeed have the "-46" version (assuming that is the latest one)?

Actually, everything is working fine, and so maybe, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".  As has been suggested, I do not use Auto Detect, but instead have the Display Setting as 4K 60Hz TV (HDCP 2.2) (my Samsung Smart TV does not have HDR features).  But how can I tell if the Frames-Per-Second Rate for my TV is 60 fps?  If I use a display setting of 4K 30Hz TV (HDCP 2.2), everything seems the same.

0 Kudos
mpompey0110
Level 9

@akent35 wrote:

How do I determine if I indeed have the "-46" version (assuming that is the latest one)?

If you go to system -> About - Software Version it will tell you what build you are on. If you are on 4750 then you most likely have 4750-46. I believe it was 4131 prior to that.

I would have no problem manually setting it to 4K/60Hz, but then the Roku will reset itself back to HDR when results in 1080p with Netflix.

0 Kudos
akent35
Level 10

"If you go to system -> About - Software Version it will tell you what build you are on. If you are on 4750 then you most likely have 4750-46. I believe it was 4131 prior to that."

I already have done that multiple times, and it says 4750.  How come it does not say 4750-46?

"I would have no problem manually setting it to 4K/60Hz, but then the Roku will reset itself back to HDR when results in 1080p with Netflix."

I have the Display Setting at 4K 60Hz TV (HDCP 2.2), and everything seems fine.  However, how do I know if my Samsung SMART TV produces 30 Frames Per Second, or 60 Frames Per Second?  Also, if I set the Display Setting to 4K 30Hz TV (HDCP 2.2), it seems fine.

Also, how do you know the Roku device reset the Display Setting for Netflix from 4K/60Hz to HDR and 1080p?  Why don't you set it to 4K HDR 60Hz TV (HDCP 2.2)?  In actuality, when I set it to 4K HDR 60Hz TV (HDCP 2.2) (have to actually "force" that setting, based on what the Roku device is telling me), it looks fine, but my TV does not have the HDR feature.

0 Kudos
mpompey0110
Level 9

@akent35 wrote:

"If you go to system -> About - Software Version it will tell you what build you are on. If you are on 4750 then you most likely have 4750-46. I believe it was 4131 prior to that."

I already have done that multiple times, and it says 4750.  How come it does not say 4750-46?

"I would have no problem manually setting it to 4K/60Hz, but then the Roku will reset itself back to HDR when results in 1080p with Netflix."

I have the Display Setting at 4K 60Hz TV (HDCP 2.2), and everything seems fine.  However, how do I know if my Samsung SMART TV produces 30 Frames Per Second, or 60 Frames Per Second?  Also, if I set the Display Setting to 4K 30Hz TV (HDCP 2.2), it seems fine.

Also, how do you know the Roku device reset the Display Setting for Netflix from 4K/60Hz to HDR and 1080p?  Why don't you set it to 4K HDR 60Hz TV (HDCP 2.2)?  In actuality, when I set it to 4K HDR 60Hz TV (HDCP 2.2) (have to actually "force" that setting, based on what the Roku device is telling me), it looks fine, but my TV does not have the HDR feature.

From reading your post, it sounds like you may be using the built in Netflix app in your smart tv. It may have a different build than the Roku Ultra that I have. In doing research and some info from @RokuTannerD, Netflix will only stream 4K with HDR if the display will do HDR at 60 fps. My Projector only does HDR at 30 fps, but will do regular 4K at 60 fps.

When I power on my Roku Ultra it displays a message that AutoDetect has been turned on. Happens at every power on.

0 Kudos
Draupadi913
Level 9

How do you know if the firmware build is 9.2 4750-46?  Mine also only says 9.2 4750.  Someone else also asked this question, but it was never answered.  I would appreciate an answer just to be sure my Roku box is using the most recent firmware, since the problem, for me, hasn’t been completely resolved.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
genotype
Level 8

Settings --> System --> About will show you full firmware version.

9.2.0 build 4750-46

With display set to Auto OR 4K HDR 30Hz, Netflix with only play 1080p, even with HDR. With display set to 60Hz, it will play 2160p, but that is incompatible with my setup and video is distorted. Amazon and other apps, with the exception of Disney+, play 2160p at Auto or 30Hz.
Roku Ultra
LG OLED55B6P
Pioneer VSX-532
0 Kudos