Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Selecting a netflix channel loses HDMI signal

I reported the problem and solution a couple weeks ago.  I tried the new version yesterday and I'm still having the problem.  I will go back to 4K from auto detect.  Honestly, I do software for a living, it appears your "solution" wasn't QA'd.  This community should not be your UAT environment.

Draupadi913
Level 9

I have an Ultra, and have been having the same problem with my Samsung 4K TV (UN55JU7500F) & Netflix.  I recently updated to firmware 9.2 (4750).  And now I can get Netflix without the blank screen or “no signal” message with display type on “Auto Detect”.  However, this firmware is still far from bug-free.  When Netflix comes up, there’s a black screen, with a lag time of about 4 seconds, and then Netflix comes up, immediately to my profile page. (The Netflix red logo never appears while loading.)

Today I tried connecting my old Roku 4 box.  And everything worked fine (while in “Auto Detect” mode.). But this was with the 9.1 firmware.  When I reluctantly pushed the system update to 9.2, and afterwards, tried accessing Netflix, Netflix would not load at all.  I just got a Roku message saying  “Loading Netflix”, and it never loads.  And the same thing happens with Amazon Prime, and all my other channels.  Needless to say, after this, I switched back to my Roku Ultra, where at least I can get the channels to load.  (Just the same, even with this latest fIrmware update of 9.2, build 4750, in “Auto Detect”, things just don’t look as sharp, especially on my Amazon Prime homepage.)

All of this has confirmed for me that there is still a definite problem with this firmware.  And though I appreciate all of Tanner’s efforts, and all the community members here, I, like others here, am getting very tired of providing UAT support for the Roku products I spent my hard-earned cash on.  (It was fun at first, but now it’s just tiring.  And I honestly feel that Roku should provide some form of compensation to us for these problems.). It is for this reason, that I will be checking out options with Amazon next week.  I don’t want to do this, because I really can’t afford it, and I do love the Roku user interface, but I really do need a product that can give me what I paid for, when it comes time for me to relax, after a very hard work week.

Much thanks to all here. 

akent35
Level 10

Man, sorry to hear all the issues everyone is having.  Even though everything "seems" to be fine with my Roku Ultra 4661R and our Samsung UN65JU7100 65" Smart LED 4K Ultra TV, I find it so, so disappointing that we cannot get an explanation of what the 9.2 update accomplished, ie, what did it fix, what are the enhancements, etc.  And I am still "in the dark" as to why the device, with "Auto Detect" in the Display Settings, detected that my TV is "4K HDR 30Hz TV (HDCP 2.2)", but it does not have the HDR feature.  (By the way, that setting was "obtained" both before and after the 9.2 update).  I do now have the Display Setting at 4K 60Hz TV (HDCP 2.2), and things seem to be fine.

I do have two questions that maybe the community can help me with:

1.  How can I determine the Frames Per Second Rate (FPS) on that TV?  The refresh rate is 120Hz, but from what I read, FPS and Refresh Rate is not really "related".

2.  How can I determine if Netflix is actually being shown as 4K with a resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels?  According to the specs of that TV:  "Ultra High Definition TV with 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)".  I do see that resolution stated on the startup screen (ie, after turning on the Roku Ultra and selecting the Home button), which then gives me the screen containing all the streaming services available.

One other thing that happened last night is that after taking baddceo's suggestion about changing the Display Setting, and selecting Netflix, the next screen to appear would be the "horizontal" list of all the profiles.  But last night, when I did it, the red Netflix writing appeared, and then the list of profiles showed up shortly thereafter.

0 Kudos
mpompey0110
Level 9

@RokuTannerD 

My Roku Ultra is connected to a Denon X6300H AVR, which is then connected via HDMI to my display, an Epson 6040UB 4K/HDR projector.

If I manually set the resolution to either 4k/30Hz or 4K/60Hz (anything without HDR) then I can stream 4K content from Netflix. But if I leave the Roku Ultra on AutoDetect, it will set my display type to 4K HDR/30Hz, and Netflix will default to 1080p not 4K.

This issue of displaying content at 1080p when the Roku Ultra sets the display type to 4K HDR/30Hz only happens with Netflix. MoviesAnywhere and Google Play Movies do not have this issue.

0 Kudos
milchuck
Level 8

Same for me, already been researching non-Roku products for reliable streaming.  They're all on sale this coming week and I'm thinking Amazon Cube TV is the right choice for me.   This Roku software issue has been mishandled and has really turned me off to buying any more Roku products.

Draupadi913
Level 9

I do believe this firmware issue is going to hurt sales.  I used to love Roku, but now I’d never recommend to anyone.  It makes me uneasy that these issues occurring.

genotype
Level 8

These issues can occur with any product. While i find it inconvenient, I know they are working diligently to find the problem and correct it. I've used Amazon and Western Digital media players, and I find Roku to have the best interface and compatibility around.

The latest update is working for me with my display set to Auto.
Roku Ultra
LG OLED55B6P
Pioneer VSX-532
Highlighted
akent35
Level 10

"These issues can occur with any product. While i find it inconvenient, I know they are working diligently to find the problem and correct it. I've used Amazon and Western Digital media players, and I find Roku to have the best interface and compatibility around."

I tend to agree with that.  I never have used any other such product, as I decided to "cut the cord" with Comcast (as far as TV offerings was concerned) about a year ago.  I did quite a lot of research about streaming players, and talked with some folks that owned them.  I decided on the 4661R based on all that, plus I liked the fact that it had a USB port., which meant I could copy movies and/or TV series from my computer to a USB Flash Drive, then plug it into the Roku Ultra and watch it on either TV.

Up until about 5 weeks ago, never experienced the Netflix issue (nor any other problem).  But when I did, what was baffling was that it was only happening with one of the Roku Ultras directly connected to my Samsung SMART 4K UHD TV.  For our other Samsung (a non-SMART TV), the issue was not happening.  One I took baddceo's suggestion about changing the Display Setting for the Samsung SMART TV, things are back to normal.

0 Kudos
baddceo
Level 10

Happy to hear my work around is helping. I hope they fix the root of the problem. Since the latest update occurred mine is staying on 4K HDR @ 60Hz though so that's good... I have the newest ultra which may or may not make a difference.
0 Kudos
akent35
Level 10

"Happy to hear my work around is helping. I hope they fix the root of the problem. Since the latest update occurred mine is staying on 4K HDR @ 60Hz though so that's good... I have the newest ultra which may or may not make a difference."

Yeah, would be good if they get to the root of the issue.  I have my Display Setting at 4K 60Hz TV (HDCP 2.2),, even though 4K HDR 60Hz TV (HDCP 2.2) "works" (though I had to "force" it).

As a side note, just saw where one of my favorite TV series, Better Call Saul, has a premiere date for Season 5:  Sunday, February 23rd:

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a29861964/better-call-saul-season-5-premiere-date/

Fortunately, won't have to worry about Netflix with that new season for a few years!  And note that Rhea Seehorn says at the end of that link:

""There will be six seasons. It seems like that's the way, the comfortable way, to end this show.""

Excellent!  And again no dependence on Netflix for a few years!

0 Kudos