Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ghcritter
Level 7

Seeing ROKU TV Screen on PC

I have an elderly parent (I'm talking around 100 years old here) that we are trying to get to use a ROKU TV with HULU Live TV.  They do not see very well and have trouble with the usage of the remote.  No matter how many times we go through how to access HULU and any of the Live TV channels within it, they just don't get it.  So we have been looking into ways to remotely (via WIFI network) control the TV for them.  We have put an android emulator on our Windows PCs (we have no other "mobile" devices available) and downloaded a ROKU mobile app.  This let's us connect to their ROKU TV and see the main channels screen and gives us a remote to use.  BUT, we cannot see the actual TV Screen, so once we choose the HULU channel from Home panel, we can not "see" the subsequent screens (or are we missing something on this app?).  I can remember the up, down, OK patterns, to get to My Channels, but from there I have no way of knowing where the streaming channel they want to watch is in the list of choices.

Any thoughts and ideas on things we can do here?  Any way to "see" the Roku TV screen on my PC?

Thanks in advance for any input.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Seeing ROKU TV Screen on PC

No, there's no way to see what's on the screen unless you use an HDMI splitter and send the video signal to a second display. But that would be difficult to accomplish if the distance between the Roku and the monitoring location is excessive. Might also be cost prohibitive. 
Just so you know there is a Windows app for controlling a Roku over the network as well. But I've heard some people reporting issues with it, although I'm not certain those issues make it unusable as a remote control. But again, you can't see what's being sent to the screen itself. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

Great job so far, I'm impressed.  Maybe use a web camera to remotely view the onscreen reality?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"Chicken" wrote:
Great job so far, I'm impressed.  Maybe use a web camera to remotely view the onscreen reality?

Yeah, I was considering that myself. But then you might have legal/privacy issues. But that could work, especially if you can demonstrate the cameras are just focused on the screen and that whomever is monitoring doesn't have the ability to change the camera settings, position or zoom. But of course if they are living in your home that should resolve any legal issues. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
"Chicken" wrote:

Yeah, I was considering that myself. But then you might have legal/privacy issues. But that could work, especially if you can demonstrate the cameras are just focused on the screen and that whomever is monitoring doesn't have the ability to change the camera settings, position or zoom. But of course if they are living in your home that should resolve any legal issues. 

Imagine dragging a 100yr-old to court.
0 Kudos
ghcritter
Level 7

WOW, such a simple solution.  Wouldn't have to worry about the "privacy" issue as we are pretty remote and don't have really close neighbors.  Thanks for the input and thoughts.  I was kinda hoping for an app type solution, just so I could play some more with adding to my knowledge base.....
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Sorry, my legality thought was if the elderly person was in a non-personal living space, such as a assisted care facility. I was thinking of a facility employee doing this, not a family member. Don't know why my train of thought went that way, but it was obviously off the rails. No privacy issues in a private home.  Smiley LOL
Dan
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

"ghcritter" wrote:
WOW, such a simple solution.  Wouldn't have to worry about the "privacy" issue as we are pretty remote and don't have really close neighbors.  Thanks for the input and thoughts.  I was kinda hoping for an app type solution, just so I could play some more with adding to my knowledge base.....

How about splitting, then feeding the 2nd hdmi to a computer beaming that to your remote location?  I guess this would require the correct video card.in the computer, one that has hdmi input.  This idea was already presented above and I'm not sure how you'd go about remotely monitoring the PC display perhaps administrative access will allow it?
0 Kudos