Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Swill517
Level 7

Screen mirror/share

I have a 55S401 TCL Roku TV and I'm trying to make it screen mirror but it won't. I connect my LG Stylo 5X to the Wi-Fi direct...then it prompts and asks allow, don't allow, always allow etc. I click allow and it says Video Starting from and stop video button underneath. It never fully loads to show my phone screen successfully. My LG Stylo 5x doesn't have an immediate cast/mirror/share button but it does have Smartbeam and media sharing. Neither one of those functions work either. Why does my Roku get stuck on the "video loading from" screen with the phone being properly connected? 

I disabled Wi-Fi on tv then restarted tv and connected Wi-Fi again...did the same with my phone. They still connect but no successful mirror. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 15

Re: Screen mirror/share

WiFi Direct is not Miracast (screen mirroring/sharing), though it is used by Miracast to make connections.

You cannot screen share/mirror simply by using the WiFi Direct functionality of of your phone/tablet/device - instead you must use the screen sharing/mirroring (Miracast) functionality:

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-227789/

Share Your Screen

NoteFollow these steps to view your entire screen contents on your TV.

1. From a Home screen, navigate: Settings Settings icon > Connected devices Connected devices icon.
  2. Tap Screen sharing.
  3. Tap the Screen sharing switch to it turn on On switch icon or off Off switch icon.
    NoteOnce turned on, your device locates compatible displays.

0 Kudos
JaneDoe1
Level 8

I had this same problem and purchased a $14 HDMI cable to usb. Finding out our LG stylo is not HML compatible so it doesnt work. Now I have seem videos on YT of the LG stylo screen mirroring but It may be compatible with only certain tvs. Mines did not work after a zillion videos and confusion my brain feels fried

0 Kudos
JaneDoe1
Level 8

On a LG stylo 5 the settings are different. There is no screen share option under connected devices(bluetooth). The LG stylo does not support HML compatability. You must have a wifi connect and both devices on the same connection. The tv must also be DLNA compatible.Screenshot_20200703-172141.png

Screenshot_20200703-172514.png

Screenshot_20200703-172733.png

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 15

@JaneDoe1 wrote:

On a LG stylo 5 the settings are different. There is no screen share option under connected devices(bluetooth). The LG stylo does not support HML compatability. You must have a wifi connect and both devices on the same connection. The tv must also be DLNA compatible.

As I dont own or use an LG Stylo 5 I can only share third-party resources such as the Verizon KB - which I cant verify the accuracy of.

You probably mean MHL (not HML), a wired screen output/"sharing" protocol - which in this context is irrelevant as the intent is to wirelessly share via Miracast. 

That being said, if your specific Android version/phone model does not directly support screen sharing/mirroring via Miracast from the UI (User Interface), there are many different small Miracast sharing apps/utilities in the Play Store that will enable/use the "hidden" (disabled by default by Google who promotes its own non-standard proprietary Chromecast protocol) Miracast functionality in all recent Android versions.

(e.g. older lower end Samsung models that lack any UI setting for screen mirroring or SmartView can/must install/use one of these apps to screen mirror using Miracast)

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=miracast&c=apps&hl=en_US

There are both free (ads) and paid apps, and I have tested many and most of them work (sceen mirroring via Miracast to different types of devices with Miracast receivers) - try some of these for yourself, find one that works for you.

0 Kudos
User716
Level 7

It no longer works since update. Bought a new one yesterday and it stopped working.

This update was poorly thought out and performed. Numerous customers are complaining and angry.

This is textbook dishonesty.

Rollback this update just as you updated our devices.

Or provide a fix..None of your devices perform as advertised.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 15

@User716 wrote:

It no longer works since update. Bought a new one yesterday and it stopped working.

This update was poorly thought out and performed. Numerous customers are complaining and angry.

This is textbook dishonesty.

Rollback this update just as you updated our devices.

Or provide a fix..None of your devices perform as advertised.

I can't tell from your comments whether "a new one" is a Roku or a phone that stopped working/you purchased - regardless, I'll assume its a Roku, and that you've already updated, restarted, and (re)configured the screen mirroring settings.

If your device updated to 9.3.0 Build 4194, and after which all your devices which were previously able to connect with Miracast/screen mirroring can no longer successfully connect, I suggest using their email contact form to let them know about the bug:

https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options

0 Kudos
larryk4311
Level 7

Hmmm.....I'm getting the same message displayed when attempting to Miracast from my desktop to the Roku stick.  I was/am going buggy looking at possible Windows issues, when it might, in fact, be the stick.

0 Kudos
Bamasmoke76
Level 7

Ok I need to chime in here too I have a stylo 4 and element Roku TV and a note 10+ ok note 10+ works fine one button push and done the stylo 4 which has screen share turned off and you have to download a app to get the widget or app to turn it on it still won't connect I've done everything from removing all the devices,restarting wifi over and over,on both devices I even reset the TV which I wish I didn't do but anyway then I came across this app in play store called screen mirroring for Roku which is a paid app to get hd or faster connection and it's a POS app too and I went thru almost all of the apps looking so long story short it is possible but there is something weird help...

0 Kudos
larryk4311
Level 7

Wow, I completely forgot I was here 2 months ago looking for help and here I am again...going even more buggy.  When I first started having problems connecting my desktop (Win10) using Miracast to my Roku stick (3600x) I just 'assumed' I should be troubleshooting Windows possible issues, which I did for about 2 months.  After checking every possible 'fix' I could find, nothing helped.  Then I accidentally stumbled on this discussion group suggesting the problem may lay in the Roku stick.  (My software version is 9.4.0.  Build 4183 if that means anything to anyone).  When I attempt to connect, it does appear to be trying...briefly the pairing icons, then the screen that reads 'Starting video from desktop 71FP, etc., etc.'  Then 'poof' back to the home screen and 'disconnected' display on desktop.  I am beyond frustrated now.  It should not require a PhD to perform a simple screen mirror.  I don't think it will do any good to call or email ROKU, but I really don't know what else to do.  I know there are apps and dongles to work around this, but I guess I'm just 'old school'...if something should be working it should be working or don't tell me it should work.  The only good that's come out of this is that it feels good to know I'm not the only one.  I am thoroughly open and appreciative of any suggestions anyone can throw my way.  Thanks much in advance.  Larry

0 Kudos