Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AmyH
Level 7

Screen is black, but can hear sounds when I hit Roku remote buttons

MAJOR ISSUES. My Roku stick has been working perfectly with the same TV for over a year. Suddenly, I turned it on and the menu came up for a second before going to black and staying that way. I can hear the Roku menu noises when I hit buttons on my remote, but can't see what I'm doing, so can't really get to any settings or anything. 

I've unplugged everything and re-plugged it in. I tried other HDMI ports. It's not the TV or the ports because other devices work fine in the HDMI ports. The Roku worked fine last night. Nothing has changed, so I don't understand why it's suddenly not working. 

I tried the reset button on the Roku. I was able to get part way through setup before it blacked out again. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AmyH
Level 7

Re: Screen is black, but can hear sounds when I hit Roku remote buttons

UPDATE: I found a workaround in another thread. It would seem this is a pretty widespread issue... But this worked for me for now. Hopefully Roku fixes whatever happened with that last update!

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/Display-and-home-screen-blanks-out-I...