Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tt_Harte
Level 7

Screen goes black after selecting and starting a movie/tv show

Jump to solution

The Roku main menu is fine, able to select any channel from the list and then able to select any movie or tv show.  When the show is selected it appears to start but the screen goes black and there is no sound.  If I push the pause or the fast forward buttons, the preview and the  show timer appear as if the program is running.  When I push stop, it goes back to the channel menu and I can then navigate to select another program or even back to the Roku menu to select another channel??  #Roku3941R #Express 4K+

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daSpud46
Level 7

Re: Screen goes black after selecting and starting a movie/tv show

Jump to solution

I have the exact same problem.  3941X 4K+ Express and Samsung Smart TV.

No audio but mute and unmute show little displays on the screen.  It is like the system is waiting for the video to come in, but it shows as playing.  I can pause at say 10 seconds and play for 5 and pause and it shows 15 seconds on the played time.

This also happened during initial setup.  The screen said it would do an update and the screen was black after that.  After 15 minutes I unplugged the power to the unit and plugged it back in

==========================================

As I was typing the last paragraph I thought why not try a factory reset.  That fixed it!  Good luck.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
daSpud46
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the exact same problem.  3941X 4K+ Express and Samsung Smart TV.

No audio but mute and unmute show little displays on the screen.  It is like the system is waiting for the video to come in, but it shows as playing.  I can pause at say 10 seconds and play for 5 and pause and it shows 15 seconds on the played time.

This also happened during initial setup.  The screen said it would do an update and the screen was black after that.  After 15 minutes I unplugged the power to the unit and plugged it back in

==========================================

As I was typing the last paragraph I thought why not try a factory reset.  That fixed it!  Good luck.

0 Kudos
shanners789
Level 7

Jump to solution

When I did a factory reset it's still not working. I can see everything except for when I push play on any channel I get a black screen with sound and with captions.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@shanners789

Thanks for the post.
Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue? What specific Roku model device are you using? How is the device setup? Do you have any external audio devices connected to your home setup? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos