Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jm74

Re: Screen freezes when mirroring

I have the same issue and it only happens with my iphone 6 and now 12. Cleary a apple OS issue because it never happens on my surface pro or android device. Thats my workaround 

0 Kudos
jkilo03
Reel Rookie

So I have a theory, it seems the Roku I have does not have seem to have lag with videos, if you use a fan to dissipate the heat. I use 2 computer fans any fan should work, but I think it only lags when it's overheating. Idk I hope this helps

_Xena_
Streaming Star

Allcast app doesn't work either. I've used that for years. It doesn't recognize any device now since Roku updated to 10.5. that's the problem I'm having, I can't get anything to screen mirror/cast. 

0 Kudos
Uncommonmartian
Binge Watcher

@jkilo03 wrote:

So I have a theory, it seems the Roku I have does not have seem to have lag with videos, if you use a fan to dissipate the heat. I use 2 computer fans any fan should work, but I think it only lags when it's overheating. Idk I hope this helps

Any idea is appreciated, imma try that one as soon as I can get some of those fans. Thnx.

0 Kudos
jkilo03
Reel Rookie

_Xena_, Have you tried holding the reset button for about 5 seconds 

0 Kudos
JF83
Reel Rookie

I am having this issue too but with my brand new Dell Inspiron desktop. I was using my old setups to mirror my computer to my TV via an HDMI connection and that no longer works, so I had to select "connect to a wireless display" in the display settings of my computer and that pulled up my TV, a 50" TCL Roku TV and connects my computer display to my TV; but I am having the same issue everyone here has posted about. It doesn't seem to do this when I cast my phone to my TV, only my PC to my TV. I rely heavily on casting my screen to my TV for streaming and cruising the internet on a big screen TV, but I haven't been able to do this since setting up my new PC a few days ago and I hate this. It makes the enjoyment all the more aggravating because the connection is choppy.

By the looks of it, this is a Roku issue and not having to do with my computer, since everyone here seems to have some kind of Roku device. I went through all my settings and there was nothing significant to help me out. I don't know what's different about my phone connecting and projecting a crisp and clear screen versus my computer projecting a scattered and choppy signal. I just purchased a PS4 remote control so I can use my PS4 to watch DVDs on since my computer is just gonna project a horrible image and freeze up every few seconds.

Any help from anyone would be appreciated. Very much so. I'm also gonna try contacting Roku to see what they say.

-Jonny

0 Kudos
tech49
Channel Surfer

After years of dealing with this issue with my TCL Roku TV, I ran across a solution that fixes it.

Note, it doesn't fix the TV- which is the problem,  it is a workaround.

Short version: plug a Roku stick into your Roku TV. 

Yeah,  it makes no sense that we need to circumvent the Roku in a Roku TV for screen mirroring,  but TCL is completely uninterested in fixing their TVs for us. I'll never buy another TCL product.

I hit on this solution while testing and updating a Roku Stick I was taking on vacation. Just switched to the stick's HDMI input and mirrored to it- works perfectly.  Back to the TCL TV, and freezing video.

I'm dumping this TCL TV this week, and letting BestBuy recycle it and I'll be free of all its problems (bad Roku implementation,  wonky backlight, rebooting in the middle of watching, slow to update).

0 Kudos
JF83
Reel Rookie

I just looked up the 2021 Roku stick and apparently this is the solution to my problem. In a video I saw with the guy connecting the stick to his TV, his internet download speed was way up in the 100s and mine is only at 86mbps and I'm guessing that is the problem. His speed was crazy fast. So I'm gonna get this right now. I just came here to say thank you. Since I posted last night, I received a response from Roku about this issue and their solution only fixed it temporarily and it went right back to freezing up and being sluggish. So if it's a speed issue that the TV is not picking up on I am going to help that out by getting a Roku stick. Thank you again, very much. This is my first TCL product, btw. Shortly after using it I had an issue with a black streak appearing while using the Netflix app on the TV and it wouldn't go away but after a few months it just disappeared. So I know now to steer clear of TCL devices.

-Jonny

0 Kudos