Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LindaG1
Channel Surfer

Re: Screen freezes on ad picture and then I hear the show's audio. Using Express.

Removal and reinstall does nothing. I notice the freezing issue when TikTok ad appears on the screen. Sometimes audio from other commercials can be heard but the TikTok ad is still on the screen! I have to 'back" out of the program and then click "resume". While watching the Cardinal series, backing out of the frozen TikTok screen and resuming renders the closed captioning completely off. This is VERY annoying and is a shame because the Roku Channel has some good shows. 

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Screen freezes on ad picture and then I hear the show's audio. Using Express.

@LindaG1 wrote:

Removal and reinstall does nothing.

You should’ve done these steps in correct order: 

1. Remove the app.

2. Settings > System > Power (If not applicable skip to the next step) > System restart

3. Reinstall the app.

It is always 1, 2 and 3.  Not 2, 1 and 3, not 1 and 3.

~ Jordan 

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
LindaG1
Channel Surfer

@Michelle3 I just did your steps EXACTLY. I'll know whether it was successful tonight when we continue watching Cardinal. 🙂

Rush1
Reel Rookie

It will be interesting to see if it works for you. I did those steps in the advised order days ago before joining this forum. My wife said the Roku channel app worked for about an hour, then started freezing and buffering again. Still no other app she uses has this issue. She is now watching two of the programs on Freevee with no problems. Good luck!

LindaG1
Channel Surfer

No good. During a Paramount+ commercial the app froze and only the audio for Cardinal resumed. Had to back out and then resume. Any other ideas?

opgrant
Reel Rookie

Is there an update to fix the Roku software bug?  It appears to have appeared around the time the last update was pushed.  It appears to be on several models.  My Roku II intermittently will not transition from one ad to another or from an ad back to a program. This appears on at least the Roku channel, and Hulu. 

4210X1 SN:5Y25A7074925

Phases of a bugfix:

1. That can’t happen.

2. That doesn’t happen on my machine.

3. That shouldn’t happen.

4. Why does that happen?

5. Oh, I see.

6. How did that ever work?

ChrissyMarie
Binge Watcher

Liberty mutual insurance is another one that causes it to freeze on roku express. 
while watching Malcolm in the middle.

LindaG1
Channel Surfer

To add insult to injury, when you resume the program after "backing" out of the frozen frame, the ad click resets and you're subjected to another minute and a half of commercials! 

pailwriter
Reel Rookie

I'm getting the same issue and it's only on the Roku channel. None of the other channels have this issue. 

I followed the steps laid out by the Roku support staff, to the letter. Twice. This did not cure the issue. I thought I should purchase a new Roku device, since mine is several years old, but since it's only happening on the Roku channel and no others, I can't see the logic in getting a new device. 

Does anyone on here have any advice? If there are any tricks you may have tried that worked, please share. 

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
ChrissyMarie
Binge Watcher

@pailwriter Unfortunately  not. Maybe call roku, on here the only way they said they can fix it is if everyone gives out the device serial number, model number, device id  etc. However it’s obvious it’s happening on several models and it’s just the roku channel that is messed up and has nothing to do with what model you have. I’ve just deleted the roku channel and will reinstall in a few months. I’m just cycling through the free subscriptions (paramount, hbo,showtime etc)

0 Kudos