Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
not_derek
Reel Rookie

Screen and sound flicker on and off on occasion

Product is a Roku Express 4K+ purchased two months ago. For the last few weeks, every once in a while the screen will start turning on and off back and forth with the sound turning on and off as well. After a few minutes it stops, and everything begins working fine again. I've tried numerous HDMI cables and both HDMI inputs on my TV. I use both a Nintendo Switch and a PS4 on this TV and they've never had this issue. I've reset the Roku player and the TV with no success.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: Screen and sound flicker on and off on occasion

@not_derek 

You didnt mention your firmware version:  Settings/System/About

You also didnt mention your TV brand/model and/or AVR brand/model and firmware/software versions, or how your Roku is connected (directly to TV or AVR, etc).

Its also not clear what the exact issue is (you might try more being more explicit about what device has a "Screen" or "sound" that is turning on/off), so the source of the problem may be harder to detect (and solutions harder to provide).

Try:

1) Manually configure your Display Type:  Settings/Display type = 720p/1080p/4K/4K HDR (do NOT use the Automatic setting)

2) Disable framerate matching:  Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced display settings/Auto adjust display refresh rate = Off

If the above dont work, its also possible there is a remote issue (spurious IR/RF) or CEC issue:

1) Disable CEC:   Settings/System/Control other devices/1-touch play = Unchecked

2) Reprogram remote for false device:  Settings/Remotes & devices/Remotes/<name of remote>(In use)/Set up remote for TV control then choose a brand you dont have, then "lie" and tell it the music stopped playing.

0 Kudos
not_derek
Reel Rookie

Firmware is 11.0.0, build 4193-CR.

TV model is Samsung model UN65NU6900.

Roku is connected directly to TV through HDMI.

The issue is that while either watching a program on the TV via the Roku or even just browsing the main Roku menu, all of the sudden the TV screen will go black and the sound will shut off for about two seconds, and then it pops back on. The sound and visuals will flicker off and on like this for a few minutes. Eventually it will stop and everything will resume functioning normally. Usually if I wait long enough, it will start to happen again.

I've tried everything you've pitched, and I've also tried a factory reset on both the TV and the Roku. Nothing has solved my issue.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@not_derek 

Do you have the latest firmware (version 1325.2, released June 2 2022) for that model? 

https://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=UNI_CA&OriginYN=N&Model...

Check TV settings:

1) You also need to make sure you have enabled HDMI UHD Color:  Settings/General/External Device Manager/HDMI UHD Color  = On

2) You might also want to disable FreeSync:   Settings/General/External Device Manager/Game Mode Settings/FreeSync = Off

0 Kudos