Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rockou
Level 8

Re: Screen Flickering with Roku Premiere Plus

That doesn't sound like the problem I am having.
The screen going blank for a few seconds when it starts playing an HDR source on the tv is normal. It is switching modes is all.

With my problem the video will flicker and be unstable, sometimes showing an HDCP error whenever you switch input to the Roku. I have to switch to another input, wait then switch back to Roku. Sometimes I have to do this a few times before it acts right. After that I have no more problems watching 4k or 4k HDR until I switch inputs again or turn off the equipment.
It was fine before the 7.7 update. It ain't the tv, it's the Roku firmware causing it.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra 4640 (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
angelogallo
Level 7

I think the solution is as follows:

On your Samsung TV disable "Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)'. Turn this off. This will mean that the Roku, and any other device you have, will no longer turn off/on your Samsung TV when you turn it off/on. But the flicker or going to black screen should be resolved.

I hope this helps - please let me know if it works for you.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 8

That is not a solution for mine.
I had anynet turned on so I could use ARC with my receiver when I use the built in tv apps. Worked fine before 7.7. After 7.7 screwed it up on the Roku I tried turning off or on multiple things including anynet on the tv and it didn't help at all.
0 Kudos
allendsup23
Level 7

"matt1958" wrote:
Having the same problem and I think I identified the cause.  I also noticed that several of the posters have a Samsung 8000+ as do I.

After playing around I isolated the problem to switching between HDR and non-HDR content. The problem is exacerbated by Netflix's auto play "feature" which switches back and forth based on what's being auto played.  There are no delays switching between non-HDR content but going from HDR to HDR or non-HDR to HDR (or vice versa) will make the screen go blank for a sec.

Unfortunately I think the delay is in the TV when it switches between HDR and non-HDR content.  It looks like the screen goes blank when it switches modes.  I don't have a different 4K HDR TV to test this on so I cannot verify. 

To verify it wasn't a Roku problem I used an Amazon Fire TV (4K) and it does the same thing. Netflix on Fire TV does not have auto play so you don't notice it as much.

Would appreciate it if someone who is having the issue could try it on a different 4K HDR TV to see if it still happens.

For now I set the Roku display as 4K not 4K HDR and it works but not satisfied as that is not a solution.  Does anyone know if there's a way to disable Netflix's auto play on Roku?

Netflix app on Samsung TV does not have this issue so I do not think it is due to Netflix.

I see this issue in all of my apps and even Roku's home screen goes blank for few seconds every 3-5 minutes. As other user have also mentioned, Roku's latest firmware caused this issue. This used to work fine before July. Now I have to use 4K as display type as there is no issue in that. Roku's firmware is not handling 4K HDR output properly. Problem is Roku's customer care will not understand this

Couple of days back I had changed the HDR chroma from 4.2.2 to 4.2.0 in Roku's secret menu. So far I have not seen flickering on 4K HDR. I do not know what this will do for my HDR videos though. I played one on Netflix and it seemed to work fine.
0 Kudos
terrysvtx
Level 7

The problem I believe is the HDCP 2.2 issue. Everything from the Roku Premiere Plus has to be 2.2 compliant or the Roku goes in to orbit. Every since I purchased the device stated below in my post I have had no more issues with my Roku premier Plus. I to was having the flickering screen as well. I purchased a new P+ about a month ago to replace my aging Roku 3 which is a great streaming device.  I have a new LG Smart Ultra 4K HD Tv which is 2.2.  I have had the tv for about a year which worked fine with the Roku 3 but when I hooked up the P+ I stared having the issue with the 2.2 error coming up on the purple screen and no 4k anything. I have read everything that I could to try and solve the problem to no avail.  I almost sent the P+ back for a refund until I found out about using a HDMI splitter which was 2.2 compatible. I purchased the Monoprice Blackbird 4K Pro 1x2 Splitter With HDCP 2.2 Support from Amazon for $29.99.  I hooked this up after the Roku and have not had a single issue with the HDCP 2.2 or the purple screen and the 4k is working perfectly.  I went into the Roku settings and set the display to 4K UHD.  I have been using this for about a week and I have not had to reboot the Roku 1 time yet. If anybody out there is having this issue you should look in to this. It was a cheap fix to what I have read is a pretty big problem with the P+ and the Ultras.  I am not using a receiver with my Roku I just have it hooked directly to the tv.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 8

The thing is though, it was working fine before 7.7 so you shouldn't have to go buy another piece of equipment to stick in line with the tv. It should work like it used to before they screwed it up with the 7.7 firmware.
My Roku Ultra is set to 4k HDR by the way and 4:2:2 (4:2:0 is a lot buggier for me which wasn't the case before 7.7)
0 Kudos
terrysvtx
Level 7

Well I guess in the meantime until Roku gets all the bugs worked out if that ever happens at least the device that I purchased is allowing me to use my P+ without any problems.  I agree that no one should have to purchase a extra device just to get the Roku to operate like it is supposed to in the first place. Roku should never have released these new devices until they had all of the bugs worked out. Calling customer service is a total waste of time.  I had a Roku 3 before I bought the P+ and used it for 3 years and never had problems with it at all. Great streaming device.  
0 Kudos
Vallnerik
Level 7

"matt1958" wrote:
Having the same problem and I think I identified the cause.  I also noticed that several of the posters have a Samsung 8000+ as do I.

After playing around I isolated the problem to switching between HDR and non-HDR content. The problem is exacerbated by Netflix's auto play "feature" which switches back and forth based on what's being auto played.  There are no delays switching between non-HDR content but going from HDR to HDR or non-HDR to HDR (or vice versa) will make the screen go blank for a sec.

Unfortunately I think the delay is in the TV when it switches between HDR and non-HDR content.  It looks like the screen goes blank when it switches modes.  I don't have a different 4K HDR TV to test this on so I cannot verify. 

To verify it wasn't a Roku problem I used an Amazon Fire TV (4K) and it does the same thing. Netflix on Fire TV does not have auto play so you don't notice it as much.

Would appreciate it if someone who is having the issue could try it on a different 4K HDR TV to see if it still happens.

For now I set the Roku display as 4K not 4K HDR and it works but not satisfied as that is not a solution.  Does anyone know if there's a way to disable Netflix's auto play on Roku?

I'm having the same issue on a Roku 4k Ultra with a Sony 4K HDR tv. This issue only started after the most recent firmware update. However, I've had a string of issues that have subsided with each new firmware release only to replaced by a new issue.
0 Kudos
DadTV
Level 7

I tried the Secret Screen method but had no success...Once I set the Display Type to 720p my 4K roku and 4K Vizio are now working without the flickering.
0 Kudos
jaim3lo
Level 7

I found a solution for me, I don’t know if it will affect the performance or Image quality, but I turned off the automatic Refresh Rate in the settings of the Roku. No more screen flickering after that.
0 Kudos