Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jrunkdad
Level 7

Re: Screen Flickering with Roku Premiere Plus

just bought a premiere plus, signed up for directv now and got the free premiere.  TV is Samsung 65" KS8000 updated to 1180.
Immediately noticed the flickering and every once in a while, the blackouts.  I thought maybe it was directv now "live" TV issue, then tried a VUDU movie and had same problem.
Switched to the VUDU app on the smart TV hub and watched the film with no issue.

Noticed a previous commenter switched off HDR capability and had positive results.  So far, so good!  But then.... what's the point of paying extra for the HDR version??

Roku needs to issue an update ASAP or this shit goin' back to target.
0 Kudos
momalave
Level 7

Same issue here on the Roku Ultra using an LG TV. I have to disable HDR and then no flickering. If you switch back to HDR, no flicker. Unfortunately, when you turn off the tv and turn it back on later, the issue come back. Please fix this problem Roku, or I may have to switch to a Chromecast Ultra.
0 Kudos
wacko
Level 7

"momalave" wrote:
Same issue here on the Roku Ultra using an LG TV. I have to disable HDR and then no flickering. If you switch back to HDR, no flicker. Unfortunately, when you turn off the tv and turn it back on later, the issue come back. Please fix this problem Roku, or I may have to switch to a Chromecast Ultra.

Try setting the HDR Mode to chroma subsampling of 4:2:0 instead of the default 4:2:2 in the HDMI secret screen (Home x5, Down, Left, Up x3).  There is only 1 selectable field in the bottom right in this secret menu.  This selectable field will either show either "HDR Mode: 4:2:2" or "HDR Mode: 4:2:0".
0 Kudos
Kob227
Level 7

"wacko" wrote:

Try setting the HDR Mode to chroma subsampling of 4:2:0 instead of the default 4:2:2 in the HDMI secret screen (Home x5, Down, Left, Up x3).  There is only 1 selectable field in the bottom right in this secret menu.  This selectable field will either show either "HDR Mode: 4:2:2" or "HDR Mode: 4:2:0".

Thank you so much, wacko. Setting the HDR mode to 4.2.0 did indeed fix the issue for us. We've been dealing with this for a few months now, even just replacing our Roku. I'm so relieved to finally have a solution. Thanks again!
0 Kudos
jrich05
Level 7

Same problem here with Samsung KS8000 and Roku Premiere+. This just started happening out of the blue after working fine for six months. The screen goes black every few seconds and audio doesn't work. Also, I noticed random button pushes, not by me! Like the option button would be pressed, or the back button. Restarting the Roku makes everything work fine. Then the next time you try to watch something, the problem is back.

I'll try to disable HDR.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 9

jrich05 I also have the Samsung KS8000 tv and have started having similar video problems since the 7.7 update. Switching the Roku to 4:2:2 mode seems to help although not perfect but more stable than it being in 4:2:0 mode. Check and see what mode yours is in and if it's in 4:2:0 try 4:2:2 and see if it helps some.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra 4640 (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
angelogallo
Level 7

I too am having the same screen flickering issue. Not consistent - happens at varying times.. BUT it does happen and it is annoying. I have tried changing "HDR Mode: 4:2:2" or "HDR Mode: 4:2:0". Still the issue prevails. 
To note, when I first purchased the unit I didn't have the issue. It only started happening after a recent firmware update. I wish hardware vendors would test their updates properly before rolling them out. I'm considering hitting the forums and warning other perspective purchasers to stay away from this unit/model/product. 
I did call customer service - but they started to step me through a scripted 'restart' - 'reboot' - 'reinitialize the unit' steps. Steps I had already performed on my own (I am an IT geek). Irrelevant - they needed to follow their scripts. Why should I have to waste my time following scripts when the issue was created by their inept firmware practices. 

Hate to sound so negative - but this has been a frustrating experience.

Is there a way to revert to a previous firmware?
0 Kudos
allendsup23
Level 7

Did anyone figured out the solution? I have roku ultra and Samsung Ks8000. Fron july, I have also seen this issue where screen goes black for couple of seconds and then come back if ROku is set to 4k HDR. No issue if it is set to 4k. It was working fine for months so an update must have caused this. How can we go back to older firmware?
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 9

No solution yet, still flickering on my set up.
Going back to 7.6 fixed it but I don't think they will let you do that anymore.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra 4640 (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
matt1958
Level 7

Having the same problem and I think I identified the cause.  I also noticed that several of the posters have a Samsung 8000+ as do I.

After playing around I isolated the problem to switching between HDR and non-HDR content. The problem is exacerbated by Netflix's auto play "feature" which switches back and forth based on what's being auto played.  There are no delays switching between non-HDR content but going from HDR to HDR or non-HDR to HDR (or vice versa) will make the screen go blank for a sec.

Unfortunately I think the delay is in the TV when it switches between HDR and non-HDR content.  It looks like the screen goes blank when it switches modes.  I don't have a different 4K HDR TV to test this on so I cannot verify. 

To verify it wasn't a Roku problem I used an Amazon Fire TV (4K) and it does the same thing. Netflix on Fire TV does not have auto play so you don't notice it as much.

Would appreciate it if someone who is having the issue could try it on a different 4K HDR TV to see if it still happens.

For now I set the Roku display as 4K not 4K HDR and it works but not satisfied as that is not a solution.  Does anyone know if there's a way to disable Netflix's auto play on Roku?
0 Kudos