Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jk24
Channel Surfer

Scrambled “stripes” on roku stick 4k

Jump to solution

Every time I turn on Roku, the entire screen is scrambled in horizontal stripes. I have tried the reboot, unplugging, etc. and nothing works. So now I can’t even watch TV anymore. I have only had this 4K stick for maybe 3 months. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Scrambled “stripes” on roku stick 4k

Jump to solution

@Jk24 

Unfortunately, sounds like you have a failed device then if not working on your other TV as well.

Warranty replacement seems to be your only option on this one.

https://support.roku.com/article/208757058

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You don’t turn on a Roku since they are always on. What is your Roku model number? Have you tried other HDMI ports? Where did you purchase it from? Did you try other TVs? Have you verified it’s the Roku and not your TV? If you only owned it for 3 months it’s under warranty so file a warranty claim. 

0 Kudos
Jk24
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Sorry I use the wrong phrase. It’s whenever I turn on the television, and push the little house button to make the Roku work. It’s the Roku streaming stick 4K SKU # 3820R and I bought it off of the Roku website. Yes I have tried every HDMI port. It is definitely not my television

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Jk24 

For some troubleshooting, you can try a few different things.

1. Try the Streaming Stick on another TV, see if a different result.

2. Try powering the Stick from the wall outlet if currently using the USB TV power port. (Try swapping out the power adapter with cell phone power adapter 5v 1 amp)

3. Try new HDMI cable.

4. Try another HDMI port if available.

4. If you are running the Streaming Stick through any peripheral  components, eliminate them by connecting Stick directly to HDMI port of TV.

See if any of the above helps.

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Jk24  Are you seeing this only when you turn on your TV? Once your on your Roku Home Screen do you see it? Do you see it when watching Netflix? Hulu? Is it always there?

0 Kudos
Jk24
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks @AvsGunnar - I run it through the electric outlet from a wall, not the tv. It doesn’t work on my other tv. HDMI cable isn’t the problem either.
and it is literally the only thing hooked up to my television. I don’t have any other streaming services, cable, etc.

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Jk24  Why doesn’t it work on your other TV? No HDMI port? Again is the problem always there? On the Home Screen? While watching something? Or is it only there when you first turn in your tv? Can you bring the stick to a family or friends house and see if the problem occurs there? You need to try to do some troubleshooting before you figure out if the problem is with your Roku stick. Post a picture of what you see. 

0 Kudos
Jk24
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@StreamerSue my television works perfectly. It only happens when the Roku is actually plugged into the HDMI on my TV.

I do not have any other streaming services such as Netflix or Hulu.

as soon as Roku is plugged in, it is completely scrambled with horizontal stripes mostly black and green. If I squint my eyes, I can see the words on the Roku home screen, but they’re very stretched. I can even scroll through, but I wouldn’t know how to fix it even if that were an option.

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Jk24  If you don’t subscribe to any streaming services then how are using your Roku? Just the Roku channel? You need to verify that the problem isn’t with your TV. Do you have anything else you can hook up to your TV? DVD player? Or bring your stick over to a family or friends house and try it. Please post a picture of what you see. It’s possible you have a bad HDMI port on your TV. Do you have any other HDMI ports or only one?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Jk24 

Unfortunately, sounds like you have a failed device then if not working on your other TV as well.

Warranty replacement seems to be your only option on this one.

https://support.roku.com/article/208757058