Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johare
Level 7

Samsung soundbar makes popping noise and shuts down with Roku Ultra

Just bought a Roku Ultra to upgrade my Roku 3 and it works great except for one significant issue which is serious enough to return the Ultra and look for another 4K streaming solution. When I hook the Roku up to my TV, it will frequently start making popping/clicking noise and after about 4 seconds the soundbar shuts down with a PROT! message. Once the soundbar has shut down and the audio reverts back to the TV, there are no issues. I have a Samsung HW-J6000 soundbar that I hook up to my Samsung TV (UN55JU6700) via TV SoundConnect wireless connection. If I instead hookup the soundbar via HDMI ARC connection, I do not have the problem, however this is not really an acceptable solution because, and I was surprised by this, the soundbar sounds better when hooked up via wireless connection than it does via HDMI ARC. Also, I have hooked up a Bluray player, an old DVD player, a PS4, Nintendo NES Classic and Roku 2 XS and Roku Streaming stick models to this TV and have not had the problem. It is definitely something that is going on with the Roku Ultra. I'm going to try to exchange it to see if maybe I got a defective unit but don't really have high hopes for that to correct the problem. If it doesn't, I'll have to look for another 4K streaming solution which I'd really rather not do since I have three other TV's in the house with either integrated Roku or streaming stick and it's what everyone is used to.  Has anyone experienced anything similar and found a solution that didn't involve using a wired connection between the TV and the soundbar?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Heyitsrick
Level 11

Re: Samsung soundbar makes popping noise and shuts down with Roku Ultra

Everything I've read about that PROT! message indicates a problem with the soundbar, itself.  Have you tried the Ultra in a different HDMI input to see if that makes a difference?
0 Kudos
johare
Level 7

Yes, tried 3 different HDMI cables and 2 different HDMI ports on the TV.  Don't think it's the soundbar because not a single other device, including 3 other Roku models, exhibit the same behavior.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 11

I'm not trying to be difficult here, and I don't like mysteries. But I'm not seeing the causality. The Roku is not connected directly to the soundbar. How could it affect what gets sent to the soundbar that's wireless? The PROT! message usually (from what I read) is a protection function of the soundbar when electrical levels are out of spec. There's no electrical current being carried by wifi (whatever the wireless transmission is). It's just radio frequency energy.  

I do understand your contention that since no other device is resulting in this, it must be the Ultra.  Can you try removing every other device from the TV's HDMI and then connecting the Roku by itself and testing?

Also, can you see what the audio settings are on the Roku? The settings are dictated by what the TV says it can take (stereo/Dolby Digital, etc.). Can you explicitly set it for stereo output as a test instead of Dolby? Obviously, this wouldn't be a fix, but just a test.

And lastly, is your soundbar (and TV) firmware up to date? I see there was a firmware update for the soundbar earlier this year:  https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2015-curved-soundbar-w-wireless-subwoofer-hw-j6000
0 Kudos