Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iceman8801
Level 9

Re: Samsung UHD color with Roku Ultra

"atc98092" wrote:
4K/60 is a pain with multiple devices, Roku being one. Yeah, it's tough with a in-wall cable that likely needs to be replaced. Since 4K/60 works with a direct connection, My cables are only 3' each, so no experience with longer cable runs. That's a nice thing about the Samsung connection boxes, I don't have to run all these different cables all the way to the TV. But the One Connect box itself has a fairly short cable, so I can see the issue with a wall mount that you don't want any cables showing. I have a plastic cable run from the TV down on the wall, and with it painted wall color it's almost unnoticeable. But yes, it would be nice if nothing at all shows. 
There are other options for longer HDMI cable runs. Either an active cable (requiring power) or a converter that uses either fiber or Cat 6 cable between ends. But cost begins climbing with those. 

I read not to use baluns as they cannot transmit enough to enable 60fps/HDR. I'm going to try a monoprice certified cable that's 15'. If that works, I'll take the one in the wall out and replace it with this one (maybe even buy a 10' and return the 15' as I only need 10').

My One-Connect mini is mounted to the back of the TV because it's hung above the fireplace. That would be a solution though, as well, I hadn't thought about. I know they make a 25ft one connect cable I believe. If that worked, I could move the box to the media cabinet. Either way, I'm running another cable in the wall
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Shorter is certainly better. I wasn't referring to using a balun. But there are powered boxes that convert the HDMI signal to either Cat6 or fiber, then convert back at the other end. I don't believe there's any bandwidth restrictions with the correct one, so 4K/60 should be fine. But like I said, it starts getting pricey. 
I wasn't aware they finally began offering a longer cable for the One Connect Mini. I remember a lot of people asking for one. Glad it happened, even though I don't need it. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Iceman8801
Level 9

"atc98092" wrote:
Shorter is certainly better. I wasn't referring to using a balun. But there are powered boxes that convert the HDMI signal to either Cat6 or fiber, then convert back at the other end. I don't believe there's any bandwidth restrictions with the correct one, so 4K/60 should be fine. But like I said, it starts getting pricey. 
I wasn't aware they finally began offering a longer cable for the One Connect Mini. I remember a lot of people asking for one. Glad it happened, even though I don't need it. 

Max bandwidth over Cat6 is only 10GBps. That wouldn't work for 4K w/ HDR today. Balun (professional name for extender) is what you're describing. It's a powered box that converts HDMI to another medium (Cat6 or other mediums) to run longer distances to another balun in which it terminates.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Sorry. I'm a ham radio operator, and balun to me means an antenna matching device.  Smiley Very Happy  I found devices that claim 4K/HDR support over Cat6 Ethernet. No clue how they are supporting the datarate required. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Iceman8801
Level 9

"atc98092" wrote:
Sorry. I'm a ham radio operator, and balun to me means an antenna matching device.  Smiley Very Happy  I found devices that claim 4K/HDR support over Cat6 Ethernet. No clue how they are supporting the datarate required. 

No worries lol.. so I tried another cable: Monoprice 15ft certified premium cable. It works. So it's definitely the cable in the wall (I tested both 6 fts from the receiver to the wall and from the wall to the tv directly into the Roku with positive results). So looks like I'll be taking the TV down, pulling plates off the wall, and replacing the cable on that side. If, by some chance, it's the connectors on the plates, I'll just put a bullnose in place and run that one cable directly from the TV to the receiver. So when they say "all cables are created equally" .. that's a lie.
0 Kudos