Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iceman8801
Level 9

Samsung UHD color with Roku Ultra

I’m experiencing an issue with trying to get Roku to display HDR on my UN65JS8500 (2015) tv.

Roku>Pioneer VSX-933 (4K/HDR)>UN65JS8500

When I hook up my PS4 through the same input and hdmi cable, turn on HDMI UHD color for the input, HDR works flawlessly. I attempt the same thing on Roku and I get audio just no video. I can only pass 4K from the Roku EVEN if I force 4K/30Khz w/ HDR.

Once UHD color is disabled the Roku displays the screen fine, just without HDR. It appears that if I cannot enable UHD color on the TV, it WILL NOT display HDR from external devices. If I do enable it, Roku can’t communicate properly (as the PS4 does communicate just fine, even with the same HDMI cable to pass HDR with UHD color enabled on the same input). Does anyone have this issue?

***UPDATE***: so if I plug the roku directly into the TV this isn’t an issue but my PS4 passes HDR through the receiver fine. So it’s definitely an issue with the Roku communicating with my Pioneer VSX-933.

ROKU, can you help me out here?
0 Kudos
14 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Samsung UHD color with Roku Ultra

I'm not familiar with Pioneer settings, but it's your AVR, not the Roku, this is the issue. With my Yamaha AVRs, there's a menu setting that Yamaha calls Mode 1 and Mode 2. It came set on Mode 2, but Mode 1 is required for HDR passthrough. Your Pioneer most likely has something similar, although most likely named something different. I can't say why the PS4 was successful, I can only relate the issue I had. And of course make sure you've enabled UHD color on the correct HDMI input for the TV. I changed all of mine, just to be sure. Smiley Happy
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Iceman8801
Level 9

"atc98092" wrote:
I'm not familiar with Pioneer settings, but it's your AVR, not the Roku, this is the issue. With my Yamaha AVRs, there's a menu setting that Yamaha calls Mode 1 and Mode 2. It came set on Mode 2, but Mode 1 is required for HDR passthrough. Your Pioneer most likely has something similar, although most likely named something different. I can't say why the PS4 was successful, I can only relate the issue I had. And of course make sure you've enabled UHD color on the correct HDMI input for the TV. I changed all of mine, just to be sure. Smiley Happy

Yeah. I have searched my pioneer forwards and backwards through the settings. I have the UHD enabled on the proper input and, as stated, the PS4 works. That eliminates the issue being with the receiver, imo. If it can't pass HDR, it wouldn't pass it at all. It's DEFINITELY something to do with the communication the Roku is sending to the receiver if nothing else. PS4 is pasing 1080p coupled with HDR. Roku doesn't pass video AT ALL with UHD color/HDR enabled. I'll keep watching this for replies as I contact Pioneer and see if I can make some headway there as well. Thanks for the reply.

**UPDATE**: Contacted and spoke with Pioneer support. They recommended turning off any/all video scaling options (which are) on my AVR. Secondly, they said there is not 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 secret menus they are aware of. Thirdly, they recommend factory resetting Roku. I will double check all my video scaling options, just to make sure they are off before I factory reset my Roku. I'm really beginning to wonder if the AVR, though it advertises 4K/HDR, can do 4K pass-through COUPLED with HDR. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Yes, scaling would throw things off. But since the PS4 wasn't having a problem, I figured you didn't have that set. I've had such good luck with Yamaha I haven't used any other AVRs, so don't have any experience with them. You might go into the advanced display settings in the Roku and see if you're set to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 and try whichever one you aren't set to now. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Iceman8801
Level 9

"atc98092" wrote:
Yes, scaling would throw things off. But since the PS4 wasn't having a problem, I figured you didn't have that set. I've had such good luck with Yamaha I haven't used any other AVRs, so don't have any experience with them. You might go into the advanced display settings in the Roku and see if you're set to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 and try whichever one you aren't set to now. 

I've called myself trying that, but I will try it again this evening and see if that works. I've had Pioneer amps for about 10 years and never had any issue, so this, too, is a first for me. The main reason I decided to stay with them when I upgraded is because I am familiar with their feature sets and I did not have to reprogram my harmony activities Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Iceman8801
Level 9

So in further troubleshooting, I changed inputs on the TV and replaced the hdmi cables with 18GBps from the roku (bypassing receiver) to the wall and the wall to the TV. That didn’t fix anything. Some I’m left with 2 steps left to do (as I’m not sure the cables have anything to do with it but I don’t know what kind of cable is behind the wall connecting the two plates behind the fireplace and down near the media cabinet): 1) plug up another 4K UHD source to the receiver and/or directly to the TV (because we know 1080p with HDR sources pass fine, PS4) and see if it passes 4K with HDR to the TV OR (last resort) 2) pull out all hdmi connectors and cables from the wall plates and just run one single cable from the TV behind the wall directly to the receiver.

I ordered a 4K Apple TV to try and troubleshoot this. If it does work, there’s some flaw with the Roku for sure.

Roku DIRECTLY hooked to the TV, HDR works but if you have any other hops (I.e. roku > hdmi wall plate > TV or roku > receiver > hdmi wall plate > TV) it doesn’t even put out a signal that the TV sees when UHD color is enabled.

Crossing my fingers his Apple TV works so this will at the least give me peace of mind that it is something inheritently wrong with the Roku and I can be done troubleshooting lol
0 Kudos
Iceman8801
Level 9

So I got the same behavior from the Apple TV. 30fps HDR works but Netflix requires 60fps (which requires UHD color to be on). So it has to be the wall plates or something relating to the cable in the wall (length or lack of bandwidth). I can’t see that cable but it was just install 3 years ago and I was under the impression most cables support this fine. I just wonder if it has something to do with the total length from the receiver to the tv (3 different cables totaling around 20-25ft.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"Iceman8801" wrote:
So I got the same behavior from the Apple TV. 30fps HDR works but Netflix requires 60fps (which requires UHD color to be on). So it has to be the wall plates or something relating to the cable in the wall (length or lack of bandwidth). I can’t see that cable but it was just install 3 years ago and I was under the impression most cables support this fine. I just wonder if it has something to do with the total length from the receiver to the tv (3 different cables totaling around 20-25ft.

It's certainly possible that a 3 year old HDMI cable isn't certified for 18 GBps speed, and that's what's required for 4K 60 Hz. And the longer the length, the more critical the cable supporting that speed becomes. Before I bought my Ultra, I had a Roku 4 connected to my AVR, which then went to my TV, each cable was 6 feet long. Had no issues at all with 4K. When I plugged the Ultra into the same cable, I couldn't even get a 4K HDMI sync lock. I replaced both cables with Amazon Basics 18 GHz cables, and haven't had an issue since. And the pair of cables was less than $10.
Dan
0 Kudos
Iceman8801
Level 9

"atc98092" wrote:
"Iceman8801" wrote:

It's certainly possible that a 3 year old HDMI cable isn't certified for 18 GBps speed, and that's what's required for 4K 60 Hz. And the longer the length, the more critical the cable supporting that speed becomes. Before I bought my Ultra, I had a Roku 4 connected to my AVR, which then went to my TV, each cable was 6 feet long. Had no issues at all with 4K. When I plugged the Ultra into the same cable, I couldn't even get a 4K HDMI sync lock. I replaced both cables with Amazon Basics 18 GHz cables, and haven't had an issue since. And the pair of cables was less than $10.

So I just got a 15’ foot amazon basic 18GBps cable and couldn’t get more than 1080p directly from the roku to the tv (excluding the avr). I don’t know the length or type of cable in the wall but I have monster hdmi 6fts (which for troubleshooting purposes replaced them with the 6ft amazon basic cables with the same result) from avr to wall and wall to tv. If I hook the 6ft amazon basic cables directly from the Roku to the TV, it does 4K 60Hz fine. That being said, my original configuration supports 4K 30Hz just won’t do 60Hz. So it looks like it’s likely the cable in the wall or the overall length of the run. My only option here, I fear, is to get that cable replaced with another one. That also could prove to be difficult with having to order cables and then do all the wall fishing just to see if it works. It may wind up being more of a headache than I’m willing to deal with. I may just wait to see if the tech improves over existing cables. Not sure, but this has already been so much work.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

4K/60 is a pain with multiple devices, Roku being one. Yeah, it's tough with a in-wall cable that likely needs to be replaced. Since 4K/60 works with a direct connection, My cables are only 3' each, so no experience with longer cable runs. That's a nice thing about the Samsung connection boxes, I don't have to run all these different cables all the way to the TV. But the One Connect box itself has a fairly short cable, so I can see the issue with a wall mount that you don't want any cables showing. I have a plastic cable run from the TV down on the wall, and with it painted wall color it's almost unnoticeable. But yes, it would be nice if nothing at all shows. 
There are other options for longer HDMI cable runs. Either an active cable (requiring power) or a converter that uses either fiber or Cat 6 cable between ends. But cost begins climbing with those. 
Dan
0 Kudos