Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Samsung Q9FN - No Dolby Vision affecting Atmos on Disney plus ???

Hi All,

I've just realised my 2018 Samsung Q9FN TV does not support Dolby Vision.  Could that be why I cannot get Dolby Atmos on Disney Plus on my Roku Streaming stick plus.  

I get 4k UHD and HDR picture but only 5.1 sound. Are Dolby Vision and Atmos connected? I.e. as I cannot get Dolby Vision I will not be able to get the Atmos sound ?. 

Thanking you in anticipation, 

Jan.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Samsung Q9FN - No Dolby Vision affecting Atmos on Disney plus ???

@Jhru wrote:

Hi All,

I've just realised my 2018 Samsung Q9FN TV does not support Dolby Vision.  Could that be why I cannot get Dolby Atmos on Disney Plus on my Roku Streaming stick plus.  

I get 4k UHD and HDR picture but only 5.1 sound. Are Dolby Vision and Atmos connected? I.e. as I cannot get Dolby Vision I will not be able to get the Atmos sound ?. 

Thanking you in anticipation, 

Jan.

They aren't technically connected, though there may be licensing-deal connections  (i.e. cheaper licenses for each if licensed together...).

It is certainly possible (and likely) that streaming service providers have service functionality levels and that they limit service quality relative to certain factors (e.g. connection speed, client version, platform capabilities, geographic location), which they do.

That being said, as to whether Disney+ Dolby Atmos sound is available/active only when Dolby Vision is available/active: that has already been disproven by the large members of users here and elsewhere reporting Atmos output with the D+ Roku client (which only outputs in HDR10 with the Roku players).

There is/are some other factor(s) at play as to why D+ isnt outputting Atmos on your system setup...

What version of the D+ app do you have? (full version+build)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Samsung Q9FN - No Dolby Vision affecting Atmos on Disney plus ???

Thanks @StreamerUser  - that was very helpful.  I should add that through my current Roku Streaming Stick plus set up I can get Dolby Atmos through Anazon Prime  - so I know its not the cables or speakers etc.  So makes it even more strange.

I've reinstalled the  Disney + app and rresettle Roku to factory settings but no luck. Don't really know what to try next. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos