Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pscannell3
Reel Rookie

SPDIF/Optical Audio drops out intermittently - TCL 6 Series (55R635)

Newly purchased TCL 55R635:

The SPDIF/optical audio output drops out for about 1 sec every 90 sec or so when playing source content from any of the HDMI inputs. I have not witnessed the same issue when playing content from installed apps, only HDMI sources (Xbox, Chromecast, Nintendo Switch).

This issue starts randomly, usually after the television has been on for >30 mins. Power cycling the television usually fixes the issue for some time, but it tends to come back after some time.

12 REPLIES 12
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: SPDIF/Optical Audio drops out intermittently - TCL 6 Series (55R635)

What is the RokuOS firmware version/build?

Make sure you report this to TCL:

https://support.tcl.com/contact-us

Rockpowered
Reel Rookie

I’ve seen this as well with my series 5 TCL TV

Devileau
Reel Rookie

I'm experiencing this issue as well.  It's almost as if there is some sort of interference causing the decoder to 'reset.'  Going to try a cable swap, but I suspect this is a software issue with the TV.  Can someone from TCL comment?

TCL 6 Series (65R635-CA)

S/PDIF to Logitech Z906 5.1 Speakers (TV set to Dolby Digital, DTS)

pscannell3
Reel Rookie

What is the RokuOS firmware version/build?

Version 9.4.0 Build 4206

pscannell3
Reel Rookie

Thanks @Devileau & @Rockpowered. Sorry to see others are having the same issue.

Have either of you contacted TCL Support? I got stuck in a dead-end conversation with no resolution.

Thanks

Devileau
Reel Rookie

No, I haven't called yet.  Tier 1 support is just going to run you through all the troubleshooting steps I've already tried.  They need to enter an issue into whatever database they use for bug tracking so an engineer can investigate.  I can't see why it would be a hardware issue, though it seems to only occur when using devices connected via HDMI.  I haven't noticed the problem when using Roku channels (streaming apps, youtube, etc).

Rockpowered
Reel Rookie

I’ve given up using the optical output and just use line out. It’s clearly something causing the chipset to reset for HDMI input. Software or hardware it’s a real issue that needs to be solved

Devileau
Reel Rookie

Aren't you only getting stereo from the line out though?

0 Kudos
pscannell3
Reel Rookie

@Rockpowered , I tried using the analog output as well since I'm only connected to a stereo amp, but I noticed a lot of harmonic distortion during playback of loud content even with the output volume set to ~50%. I did some quick measurements on a laptop & found THD>=5% even at those low levels.

I noticed the same audio drops with ARC/eARC output as I had with SPDIF/optical out. Seems like there's no good options for external audio...

0 Kudos