Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED, Sort of...] Roku Streaming Stick: Audio Cuts-Out for 2-3 Seconds, Repeats Every Several Minutes

Hello,

This is my first post, so if I've omitted any critical information, kindly let me know and I will be happy to provide the missing details.  Also, I've searching the forum for my same issue, but did not find a match.

• Case Number:

• What is the issue being reported?
- During playback, the audio will cut-out for about 2-3 seconds. After a while, it will happen again. This behavior repeats every several minutes and happens with the following channels.

• Channel Names and Versions:
- Netflix: Version 4.2, Build 90018009
- Pandora: Version 4.1, Build 20171012
- Plex: Version 5, Build 7
- The Roku Channel: Version 1.30, Build 29
- YouTube: Version 1.0, Build 70500211

• What are the steps to reproduce?
- Play any audio or video from any of the above channels.

• Is it reproducible?
- Yes, it happens every time.

• Roku Make/Model:
- Roku Streaming Stick 3600R

• Roku Serial Number:
- [REDACTED]

• What software version is the box running?
- Version 8.0.0, Build 4128 (248.00E04128A, Build Date: 20171109 21:49)

• Is the box connected to the internet via wireless or a wired connection?
- Wi-Fi

• What signal strength is the box reporting if connected to the internet via Wifi?
- Excellent

• What type of internet service does the user have?
- Cable Modem
- Result of Internet Speed Test: 66.16 Mbps Download, 5.73 Mbps Upload, Latency: 33 ms

• How is the box connected to the TV?
- HDMI (I have two HDMI ports and the behavior happens with both.)

• What resolution is being used?
- 720p

• If it is a paid channel is the user a subscriber/member, and for how long?
- Netflix: I am a paying member and have been so for eight years.

• Television Make/Model
- Panasonic TC-32LX700

• Other components make/model that's in the mix
- No other audio/video equipment.
- Monster Power surge protector (Pre-Existing Gear)
- Cisco DPC3008 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem (Pre-Existing Gear)
- Netgear R6300v2 Wi-Fi Router Dual Band Gigabit (Pre-Existing Gear)

• Approximate time of last incident:
- Last night, when watching a movie on The Roku Channel

Thank you for reviewing this posting and for any comments or suggestions offered.
0 Kudos
11 Replies

Re: Roku Streaming Stick: Audio Cuts-Out for 2-3 Seconds, Repeats Every Several Minutes

This may be a silly question, but is there a way for me to revert to the previous software version, in order to see if that resolves the audio issue?

I only have one television and it only has two HDMI inputs.  The audio cutting-out happens no matter which HDMI port to which my Roku Streaming Stick is attached.  Also, when my DVD player is connected to either HDMI port, there is no loss of audio or video.

Many thanks.
0 Kudos
MrDifficult
Level 7

Re: Roku Streaming Stick: Audio Cuts-Out for 2-3 Seconds, Repeats Every Several Minutes

Try making sure that both the Roku audio settings AND the TV audio settings(for output, hdmi) are set to PCM.
0 Kudos

Thank you, MrDifficult.  I will definitely follow your advice.

What puzzles me is that I'd used the Streaming Stick for many months without issue.  All my gear (Roku, TV, Router, PC, Modem) is the same.  The only things I can think of that changed might have been my adding or deleting some channels.  But, several channels have remained constant, such as Netflix, Pandora, Plex, etc.  Otherwise, aside from the Roku player itself having software updates, I know some of the channels have also had software updates, too.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to respond and for the suggestion.

Regards,
Simon
0 Kudos

Re: [SOLVED] Roku Streaming Stick: Audio Cuts-Out for 2-3 Seconds, Repeats Every Several Minutes

I think this issue might be resolved, after performing a Factory Reset.

Admittedly, I was hesitant to do so, despite the suggestion of Roku Support (via e-mail), because I felt the suggestion was akin to calling the I.T. Help Desk and having them tell you "Reboot your computer."  But, of course, sometimes a reboot of Ye Olde PC is just what's needed.

So, I performed a Factory Reset, re-added/-linked my channels, streamed a video from my PC via Plex, and had no audio cut-outs during the 63 minute video.  I've not yet tested it with Netflix or Pandora, so I'm not 100% convinced.  But, I'll try to test both this weekend and update this post accordingly.
0 Kudos

Re: [SOLVED] Roku Streaming Stick: Audio Cuts-Out for 2-3 Seconds, Repeats Every Several Minutes

Fortunately, my Streaming Stick has continued to perform as expected with no audio cut-outs.

Last night, I noticed a new software update was available, so I upgraded to Version 8.0.0 Build 4143-24.  Thus far, I've only been streaming music via Pandora, but it's been playing for a few hours with no drops in audio.

Best regards,
Simon
0 Kudos

Re: [SOLVED - Sort of...] Roku Streaming Stick: Audio Cuts-Out for 2-3 Seconds, Repeats Every Several Minutes

Since my last post, my Roku Streaming Stick had no audio cut-outs.  Then, a software update was available.

After updating my Streaming Stick to the new version (Version 8.0.0 Build 4143-24), the audio cut-outs have returned.  Since a Factory Reset seems to have resolved the issue the last time, perhaps doing so again will restore proper functionality.  Of course, doing so is a hassle, since I have to add/link all my Channels again.

Since I haven't seen any others affected by this issue, it seems that perhaps my Streaming Stick is the problem.  I originally purchased it at Target, but am way past the period of time for an exchange.

For any Roku representatives that may see this post, would Roku consider replacing my Streaming Stick?

Thanks for the consideration.
0 Kudos
jbthorstad
Level 7

Re: [SOLVED, Sort of...] Roku Streaming Stick: Audio Cuts-Out for 2-3 Seconds, Repeats Every Several Minutes

Having the exact same problems on my Roku Premiere (Model 4640X). The latest Roku software build is v8.1.0, installed on 7/27; I just checked for an update today (8/17/18) but 8.1.0 is most current. I have restarted the box on a number of occasions, but continue to have this intermittent issue. Roku says my wifi connection is excellent.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Re: [SOLVED - Sort of...] Roku Streaming Stick: Audio Cuts-Out for 2-3 Seconds, Repeats Every Several Minutes

"Simon_Templar" wrote:

For any Roku representatives that may see this post, would Roku consider replacing my Streaming Stick?

You won't get that sort of support from this forum. You have to contact Roku customer support for that. This forum is mostly users helping users. Not saying Roku doesn't monitor here, but this isn't considered a customer support venue. PS: don't google for customer support. You'll only end up with spam sites that try to sell you something or ask to remote into your computer. All they'll so is install something on your computer you don't want. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

"atc98092" wrote:
"Simon_Templar" wrote:

You won't get that sort of support from this forum. You have to contact Roku customer support for that. This forum is mostly users helping users. Not saying Roku doesn't monitor here, but this isn't considered a customer support venue. PS: don't google for customer support. You'll only end up with spam sites that try to sell you something or ask to remote into your computer. All they'll so is install something on your computer you don't want. 

Thank you for the information.  You are exactly right that I was hoping for assistance from one of Roku's Support personnel that monitors this forum.  Unfortunately, the folks with whom I spoke, when calling Roku Support, were not helpful.  They would not replace my Roku Streaming Stick.  Then, shortly thereafter, my Enhanced Remote stopped working.  When calling Roku Support again, their solution was to sell me an upgraded remote.  That wasn't acceptable, so I'm still dealing with the audio cut-outs and managing the device with the iPad App -- which has its own annoyances.  I've been unemployed since the start of the year, so spending money on a new Roku player doesn't make sense.  Once I'm able to do so, I'll look into purchasing a wired Roku player with a regular IR remote.  I just hope the next one lasts longer than 18 months.  This one was just a dud, I guess.  Anyway, thanks again for the reply and the helpful suggestions and cautions.  Be well.
0 Kudos