Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lakerssuperman
Binge Watcher

Re: Rou 4800x Stuttering During Playback with DTS Audio

I'm happy to report that after more experimentation, I found that I am able to correct broken mkv files with DTS by remuxing them using Avidemux.  Avidemux will add back the missing tags and allow the 4800x to have smooth playback.  I tried this on 6 or so of my movies that were stuttering and all were fixed with this method.  The issue still lies with the newer Roku doing something different with file tags as the older model (4640x) doesn't have this issue, but at least this is fairly straightforward fix at the file/content level.

Dude1973
Reel Rookie

I am experiencing this same problem with DTS MKV files and video stutter. This thread has been very helpful in troubleshooting, especially your tips, @lakerssuperman. I've opened a support request with Roku support (Support Request # 5811779), so I will see where that goes. My troubleshooting appears to show that DTS MKV files created using the libEBML and libMatroska writing library (MKVToolNix format) have the stuttering problem in Roku Media Player. DTS MKV files created using the Lavf58 encoder (Libav format) work fine. Both Handbrake and Avidemux use the Lavf58 encoder, so those apps create working MKV files. All other media players I have used play all of my MKV files fine. It is only the Roku Media Player that has trouble with these DTS MKVs. I am streaming them from my DLNA server app, Mezzmo. And I am using a Roku Ultra 4800X with the latest software version, 11.0.0.4193.

I tried forcing the Roku to transcode the DTS into Dolby Digital by disabling DTS in the audio output settings, but I get no audio. I don't think the Roku Ultra can transcode audio, despite what is mentioned in this thread. The transcoding of the audio would have to be done by the DLNA server app (Mezzmo).

Hopefully Roku will solve this issue on the 4800X, because I shouldn't have to remux all of my MKVs using Avidemux. If other models of Roku players work fine with DTS MKV files, then Roku should be able to fix this issue with the 4800X.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@Dude1973 

Just an FYI, but this DTS stuttering issue (with MKVs depending on tagging/encoding library) has existed with the 4800 since launch (fall 2020) and impacts ALL new models using the Realtek RTD131x SoC family - this includes the Ultra LT/Ultra (4801/4800/4802), Express 4K/4K+ (3940/3941), and the Streaming Stick 4K/4K+ (3820/3821).

Roku have shown no real interest (beyond the obligatory request for details) in fixing/addressing this issue for nearly 2 years, and so it remains unfixed - not unlike other similar issues such as the x.265/HEVC +EAC3 color/contrast distortion issues, also impacted by tagging/encoding library.

To be fair, Roku's OS/firmware programming team is inept at best, and though it is clearly capable of coding SoC-specific fixes (based on past model-specific firmware development), obviously has not done so with these RTD131x issues, perhaps because Roku has utterly de-prioritized local/LAN playback (look at the abysmal state of RMP development/etc), otherwise this should/would have been easily addressed soon after the 4800's launch.

So the choice is to either re-encode/re-rip/re-mux one's library, or use another streaming device (such as an Android TV-based streamer with Kodi/Plex/VLC/Emby/etc, which one can get for $20-150) to handle local/LAN playback.

Dude1973
Reel Rookie

Thank you, @UserOfStreamers.  That's excellent insight on the Realtek RTD131x SoC family chipsets.  It's disappointing if Roku has de-prioritized local/LAN playback.  I think people buy a universal streaming box like Roku because it is advertised as a one-stop shop for all of your streaming needs.  That's why I bought mine.  I understand that Roku's bread and butter may be tied to the big streaming content providers and their needs/desires, but if Roku does not back up their "universal streamer" claims and provide continuous support for all features and functionality of their devices, like local/LAN playback via DLNA, they will undoubtedly lose market share over time.  I may end up looking into the Android TV-based streamers that you mentioned.  That's a good tip.

I am still holding out some hope, though, that Roku will address this issue for those of us who stream local content to our devices.  We'll see!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Dude1973 wrote:

It's disappointing if Roku has de-prioritized local/LAN playback. 

I don't think that's really accurate, as Roku has never had much priority on local/LAN playback. RMP was an afterthought, and created many years after Roku first began. 

I humbly suggest to Roku they consider adding a "crown jewel" player to their lineup. It would include Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0 ports (at least two), support additional containers/codecs, and decode image based captions. Sure, it would cost more than an Ultra, but it would be able to replace my Nvidia Shields. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
coolcough
Reel Rookie

@lakerssuperman wrote:

I'm happy to report that after more experimentation, I found that I am able to correct broken mkv files with DTS by remuxing them using Avidemux.  Avidemux will add back the missing tags and allow the 4800x to have smooth playback.  I tried this on 6 or so of my movies that were stuttering and all were fixed with this method.  The issue still lies with the newer Roku doing something different with file tags as the older model (4640x) doesn't have this issue, but at least this is fairly straightforward fix at the file/content level.

Wanted to comment that I am having this same issue. It is not ALL DTS MKV files for me, only certain files, so it seems that a file tag issue makes sense (it is not an issue with DTS itself). Remuxing with Avidemux corrected the test movie I tried. Frustrating for sure - I am not interested in remuxing tons of movies, but I am not sure I want to replace 2 Roku 4800x's over this either.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I've never looked at Avidemux, but it's possible they have a command line function, and/or the ability to script a batch conversion, so one doesn't need to do each file individually. Look at the documentation and see what might be available. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
lakerssuperman
Binge Watcher

https://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=tutorial:batch_processing

Seems it does support command line batch processing.

0 Kudos
Dude1973
Reel Rookie

I have a support case in with Roku on this, which has gone nowhere so far.  I'm still pushing for a real solution that allows all DTS movies to play in Roku Media Player.

In the meantime, my workaround has been to set up a Plex server and use the Plex client app on Roku.  From what I have seen, the Plex app on Roku will play all DTS movies with no issue.  How it does this is that it uses Direct Stream, which automatically remuxes the DTS and video stream into an HLS container, rather than an MKV container.  It does this for all DTS movies, regardless of whether they have the necessary tags included.  The remuxing is efficient and uses very little CPU on the Plex server computer.  This has been a good workaround for me, because Plex has a lot of nice functionality I didn't know about before, when I was using Mezzmo.

Hope this info helps anyone else struggling with this issue.

0 Kudos
coolcough
Reel Rookie

@Dude1973 wrote:

I have a support case in with Roku on this, which has gone nowhere so far.  I'm still pushing for a real solution that allows all DTS movies to play in Roku Media Player.

In the meantime, my workaround has been to set up a Plex server and use the Plex client app on Roku.  From what I have seen, the Plex app on Roku will play all DTS movies with no issue.  How it does this is that it uses Direct Stream, which automatically remuxes the DTS and video stream into an HLS container, rather than an MKV container.  It does this for all DTS movies, regardless of whether they have the necessary tags included.  The remuxing is efficient and uses very little CPU on the Plex server computer.  This has been a good workaround for me, because Plex has a lot of nice functionality I didn't know about before, when I was using Mezzmo.

Hope this info helps anyone else struggling with this issue.

My case is quite different. My 4800x has no issue with DTS. I am using Emby and for CERTAIN .mkv files that have DTS audio, the video playback stutters. The audio sounds fine (no stuttering). DTS passthrough works, etc. The issue, for me, certainly appears to be tied to the file tags because not ALL DTS .mkv files are having this issue for me. It is 100% a Roku issue, as I can play the same files without issue on a Chromecast with Google TV (via the Emby app, with DTS passthrough). Super irritating. 

0 Kudos