Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Roku3 Screen stuck at bouncing logo

Jump to solution

I am still experiencing this in September 2019 with the Roku Ultra and my MicroSD.  Has anyone contacted roku with the issue?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

All,

I just spent way too much time chatting up a rep on this. You can read the transcript below.  Looks like they are going with the "it must be your SD card.  buy a new one" approach to customer service.  Hope this info helps you!

Chat started: 2019-09-28 02:55 PM UTC

(02:55:54 PM) UncleLeoTheDad: Whenever I put a microsd card in my roku ultra and reboot it, the roku gets hung up at the startup screen with the bouncing ROKU letters. It seems this is happening to many others and has been happening for a long time: https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/Roku3-Screen-stuck-at-bouncing-logo/... Are you aware of this issue and can you help us fix it? Thanks!
(02:56:02 PM) *** Jason joined the chat ***
(02:56:14 PM) Jason: Hi Leo!
(02:56:16 PM) Jason: Thank you for contacting Roku Support!
(02:56:40 PM) UncleLeoTheDad: Hi! Did my question make sense?
(02:58:33 PM) Jason: Hello.
(02:58:39 PM) UncleLeoTheDad: hi
(02:59:33 PM) Jason: I understand that you have some issue with the ultra device that is stuck on the bootlogo.
(02:59:42 PM) UncleLeoTheDad: Yes
(03:00:06 PM) UncleLeoTheDad: And that community thread describes how others are also experiencing it and it can be bypassed by removing the microsd
(03:00:15 PM) UncleLeoTheDad: but obviously that doesn't seem like a desirable requirement
(03:00:47 PM) Jason: Okay.
(03:01:00 PM) Jason: I will do my best to assist you today.
(03:02:20 PM) Jason: In order to proceed further may I have your email address linked to Roku to retrieve your account?
(03:02:33 PM) UncleLeoTheDad: *********
(03:05:15 PM) Jason: Thank you for that information, I was able to pull up your Roku account with that email address.
(03:05:27 PM) Jason: May I have your name and phone number linked with the Roku account for verification?
(03:05:40 PM) UncleLeoTheDad: UncleLeoTheDad *******
(03:06:58 PM) Jason: Thank you for verifying the details.
(03:07:11 PM) Jason: May I know what happened exactly?
(03:08:35 PM) UncleLeoTheDad: I have a roku ultra. If I do not have a microsd in it, it reboots normally. However, if I put a microsd in it so that I can minimize loading times, if I reboot the roku ultra, it hangs up at the bouncing logo screen. The only way to get past this is to remove the microsd and reboot again.
(03:08:58 PM) UncleLeoTheDad: The thread I sent suggests this happens across roku models and has been occurring for years
(03:09:06 PM) UncleLeoTheDad: 1. Are you aware of this issue?
(03:09:27 PM) UncleLeoTheDad: 2. How can we get it resolved either today or through an upcoming software/firmware release
(03:09:40 PM) UncleLeoTheDad: The problem seems to be easily reproducible.
(03:11:05 PM) Jason: Okay, Leo.
(03:11:26 PM) Jason: May I know if that happens everytime you restart the device?
(03:11:54 PM) UncleLeoTheDad: When the microsd is in, it just pauses at the bounciing roku logo and never fully starts
(03:11:57 PM) UncleLeoTheDad: Yes
(03:12:03 PM) UncleLeoTheDad: But if i remove the microsd
(03:12:08 PM) UncleLeoTheDad: it restarts every time fine
(03:12:45 PM) Jason: Okay.
(03:13:20 PM) Jason: Could you please try with the different SD card to isolate this issue.
(03:13:35 PM) UncleLeoTheDad: I don't have one
(03:13:43 PM) UncleLeoTheDad: Is there a recommended brand or model?
(03:14:01 PM) UncleLeoTheDad: again, if you look on that forum, it seems there are a number of people struggling with this
(03:14:31 PM) UncleLeoTheDad: I am using a Kingston 8GB MicroSD
(03:15:44 PM) Jason: Okay, Leo.
(03:17:34 PM) Jason: In order to isolate this issue on further, I suggest you to give a try with the different SD card.
(03:19:12 PM) UncleLeoTheDad: Ugh...ok. Not very helpful I'm afraid, particularly given how many times I had to restate the problem. Have a good day!
(03:19:48 PM) Jason: I apologize.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have had this issue since I packed my ROKU up when we moved last week. Only thing different is I switched internet providers. I plugged it in like normal and it will not get past the Loading screen. ROKU phone support was not helpful at all.

Level 21

Jump to solution

@BJA wrote:

I have had this issue since I packed my ROKU up when we moved last week. Only thing different is I switched internet providers. I plugged it in like normal and it will not get past the Loading screen. ROKU phone support was not helpful at all.

Does your player have an SD card slot, and if so do you have an SD card inserted? If so, eject it, then try booting again. If it still fails, you may need to do a factory reset. You do that by holding down the hidden, recessed reset button for a minimum of 30 seconds. Not 29, but 30 seconds or longer. Then release it and attempt a reboot. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

thank you , thank you. this issue has been driving me crazy for a week. it worked.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

mines doing the same thing [roku 3]. .  . aka stuck at the bouncing logo screen/booting INDEFINITLEY and will not load, at this point it appears to be bricked.  the most common solution was to remove the sd card BUT i do not have a sd card to remove, so i dont know what to do. . . i already tried the reset hole. . . my roku ran flawlessly before i updated the firmware just a couple days ago , and after doing so immeditatley i got this message stating " to improve loading times add sd card, but i never needed before and now they want me to get one????? sounds like they bloated out the software and want to me expand the memory to cover for there bloat ware SMH. But now the Dam thing wont even boot, call me a theorist but it worked fine before the update and fails after the update, sounds like OEM problem . . .so now what, they brick my out warranty device by and un-needed updated and who is to pay for it. . . . .I guess thats just there solution to get me to upgrade. . . NOT HAPPENING. . . 

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same thing just started happening to m Roku 4 today.. Stuck in the Roku bouncing logo as soon as it boots up. I have no SD card in mine so i don't know what the heck has happaned. It keeps rebooting and going back to the bouncing screen, even after holding the reset button down for 10,20,30 seconds - it just doesn't get out of this loop...UGHHHH!!!

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

my roku 3 that ive had for nine years suddenly started doing the same about two weeks ago where and how do you remove that card you are talking about

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@sa2 wrote:

my roku 3 that ive had for nine years suddenly started doing the same about two weeks ago where and how do you remove that card you are talking about

The SD card is in a small slot that's usually on the back of the player. But if you never put a card in there, it's likely there isn't one there. It's not required for operation. I've never put one in any of my Roku devices that has such a slot. 

To remove an inserted card, you press it in further, which unlocks the card and it will pop out enough to pull out. Since it's almost flush with the case when inserted, you might need to use a fingernail or something else to press it in. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I noticed the same.  I have had some luck reformatting the card on a pc and recmounting however the remount took some time if I recall to format/recognize ther chip.  Strange.

0 Kudos