Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jimmydonc
Level 7

Roku youtube in standard TV crops sides of video

So I have a Roku express hooked up to an old CRT tv. It works great with Netflix and other apps. But I just noticed something annoying with YouTube. I had converted some old vhs tapes to digital and uploaded them to YouTube. When I played those videos (which are standard definition 4:3 aspect ratio) on my standard definition TV (and yes the Roku is set to 4:3 in settings) the youtube app is cropping off about 1/8 of the video from the left and right leaving black bars on the right and left sides. It is not squishing the video. It’s actually cutting off part of the image. When I watch the same video on my iPhone the sides of the video are there. The odd thing is the youtube app menu fits the whole screen. Only the video playing is cropped.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Roku youtube in standard TV crops sides of video

"Jimmydonc" wrote:
So I have a Roku express hooked up to an old CRT tv. It works great with Netflix and other apps. But I just noticed something annoying with YouTube. I had converted some old vhs tapes to digital and uploaded them to YouTube. When I played those videos (which are standard definition 4:3 aspect ratio) on my standard definition TV (and yes the Roku is set to 4:3 in settings) the youtube app is cropping off about 1/8 of the video from the left and right leaving black bars on the right and left sides. It is not squishing the video. It’s actually cutting off part of the image. When I watch the same video on my iPhone the sides of the video are there. The odd thing is the youtube app menu fits the whole screen. Only the video playing is cropped.

The Roku Express is HDMI only. Either you actually have a Roku Express+, which has composite output, or you are using an adapter between the HDMI and the TV.

If you would provide the URL of one of the YouTube videos. If the video is set to Private then others can't see it, if it's Unlisted then others can see it but can't search for it, and of course if it's Public, anyone can see it or search for it.

Perhaps users with a Roku Express+ (assuming that's actually what you have) can see if the video appears that way to them, or if it's something about your device.

For example, here's a 4:3 video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJqVbhSjobY

Does it appear correct on your Roku Express+ device?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos