Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bronaghbop
Level 7

Roku won't turn on

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help me please. I've only just bought Roku express. I set it up yesterday and I've been happily binge watching Grey's anatomy ever since. This evening though, the screen suddenly started going snowy so I did what I always do in these situations and unplugged everything at the wall. Now it won't come on at all. I have a steady blue light. I've tried pressing the home and Netflix buttons on the remote and also used the tv remote and went to the HDMI channel but nothing. Ps I'm in my 60s so non techy language is much appreciated
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Roku won't turn on

"Bronaghbop" wrote:
Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help me please. I've only just bought Roku express. I set it up yesterday and I've been happily binge watching Grey's anatomy ever since. This evening though, the screen suddenly started going snowy so I did what I always do in these situations and unplugged everything at the wall. Now it won't come on at all. I have a steady blue light. I've tried pressing the home and Netflix buttons on the remote and also used the tv remote and went to the HDMI channel but nothing. Ps I'm in my 60s so non techy language is much appreciated

There are a few things that could be going on. That's when a process called troubleshooting happens. That's simply a process where things are tried, the results are examined, and based on the compilation of the data -- along the line of "what could cause this results plus this result plus this result?" -- a best guess can be reached. Sometimes, a single bit of information tells what it is, while sometimes it takes a lot of bits of information to figure it out. All that is part of troubleshooting.

One other thing: I'm also in my 60s. None of this is really beyond our ability. Passing the 60-year mark doesn't stop us from being able to deal with all this. It may be newer to you than to me, but we're all unfamiliar at the beginning.

So, let's look at what you've got, and suggest a few things to try.

Your TV may have more than one HDMI input. If your Roku indicates it has power (the light indicates exactly that) then it should be outputting something through the HDMI port, though the HDMI cable, to the HDMI input on the TV. Now, if your TV has more than one HDMI input (most do) then you'll want to be sure you have the TV set to the one your Roku is connected to. It obviously was at one time, but things happen. So, let's confirm this first.

Your TV remote should have a button to select the input. Some TVs will grey-out ports with nothing connected, while some will show everything that's available, whether or not anything's connected. If you know the HDMI port to which the Roku is connected (it's labeled, often HDMI1, HDMI2, etc), make sure the TV input is set to that port. If you have to resort to toggling through each one, be sure to let it sit on the different input for several second, and press the HOME button on the Roku remote, giving it several seconds to resolve before advancing to the next one.

Next, remember there are three parts to this: the Roku HDMI output, the HDMI cable, and the TV HDMI input. All three must work correctly. And, the cable must be correctly and properly seated in the port. That means it must be plugged in correctly.

To get an idea of what I'm talking about, let's take a quick detour. Think for a minute about a power cord on a lamp. You plug it into the wall socket to get power to the lamp. If you were to plug it in, but not quite all the way, as long as the plug (the two prongs, in this example) are making some contact inside the jack (the electrical outlet, in this example), you'll still get power. What may also happen is that the contact might fail, and the lamp will flicker or not turn on at all. That is because the plug isn't properly seated in the jack (the wall outlet). If you were to go over and push the plug in again, or unplug it and plug it back in, it might solve the problem. Well, the same thing can happen with HDMI or any other type of plug and jack situation. So, you'd want to unplug the HDMI from the Roku, and plug it back in. Push all the way to be sure. Then, same thing on the HDMI cable and the HDMI input on the TV.

If you still don't have a good picture, or don't have any picture, then you might want to try another HDMI cable, if you have one.

If still no joy, then try a different HDMI input on the TV. You'll need to remember to change the input on the TV to the new one.

If none of this does any good, let us know. If you get partial input briefly, be sure to mention that.

Good luck.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"Bronaghbop" wrote:
Hi,

Do you see the bouncing Roku logo when you first plug it in? Or is the screen completely blank and no audio (the bouncing logo has sound effects). If absolutely nothing, then either the power supply has failed or the Roku itself is having a problem. If you see the logo and then nothing, the next step is to do a factory reset. There's a small recessed button either on the back or bottom. Hold that button for a full 30 seconds while powered up. When you release it, it should reboot into the initial setup mode. If you still get nothing, then I suggest contacting Roku support (that's not what this forum does) and request a warranty replacement. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Bronaghbop
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
"Bronaghbop" wrote:
Hi,

Do you see the bouncing Roku logo when you first plug it in? Or is the screen completely blank and no audio (the bouncing logo has sound effects). If absolutely nothing, then either the power supply has failed or the Roku itself is having a problem. If you see the logo and then nothing, the next step is to do a factory reset. There's a small recessed button either on the back or bottom. Hold that button for a full 30 seconds while powered up. When you release it, it should reboot into the initial setup mode. If you still get nothing, then I suggest contacting Roku support (that's not what this forum does) and request a warranty replacement. 
0 Kudos
Bronaghbop
Level 7

Thank you I twiddled about with the connections and the USB had come out of the Roku slightly. The problem is the cable that came with it is a bit short and I've had to position the unit just so because of the distance between the USB port and the wall socket. A longer cable should stop it from happening again. Thank you very much for your response.
0 Kudos