Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LoDiamond

Re: Roku won’t restart after update

When the update reaches 100% and the roku informs you it is getting ready to restart, quickly disconnect the device's HDMI cord from the port (TV side only) while leaving the power connected. Wait about 20 seconds then reconnect your device. This should solve any and all problems. Hope i was of help! God bless.

Roberty
Channel Surfer

Having the same problem with a brand new Roku Ultra. On the initial setup it asked for my wifi info and after that it downloaded an update and after it restarted it won't get past the bouncing Roku. It displays the bouncing Roku for a few seconds and then loses video output to the TV and just stays that way with no lights on the Roku on.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @Roberty

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Roberty
Channel Surfer

It's plugged into the wall adapter that it came with. I guess it bricked itself during the original setup update from the looks of things. I own several Roku's and have updated them more times than I can count but never though one would brick itself during the first setup....

0 Kudos
Roberty
Channel Surfer

OK, finally got it to work. I left the new Roku completely unhooked for two days and then it started up and finished up the setup just fine. Weird.....

0 Kudos
Honeycutt1

Exact same issue for me. Brand new….

0 Kudos
Roberty
Channel Surfer

Leave it completely unhooked for a couple of days and then try it again. That worked for me.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @Honeycutt1

Thanks for the post.

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. Could you tell us more about your concern?

With more information, we can assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos