Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Doc_Corcoran
Channel Surfer

Roku won’t restart after update

Hey, so I have a roku HDMI with plug model, got it about a year ago. I go to update it, and it processes the update and gets to the restart screen. After a couple of moments the screen goes blank. And then proceeds straight to my TV’s “No signal” screen. Nothing happens for hours. The word Roku doesn’t show up. It’s as if the device shuts itself off. I have an older model Samsung smart tv and it worked on it before and now it won’t. Just a little peeved because I spent money on a device that no longer works and wouldn’t be able to get a refund a year out. It appears to just be the new update. 

27 REPLIES 27
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku won’t restart after update

Hi @Doc_Corcoran,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. Is there a light showing on your device? How are you powering the device? Is it plugged into the TV USB port, or is it plugged into the wall outlet with the provided cables? In addition, have you tried using another HDMI port on your TV as well as trying your device on another TV to see if you are seeing the same issue with no signal?

Please let us know and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Doc_Corcoran
Channel Surfer

@RokuMary-F So I have tried both of my only HDMI ports, and no change. There is a white light that stays on. It is a wall outlet model. So the cord is plugged securely into an outlet. I did check to see if that was the problem but it didn’t matter where I moved the tv and Roku, same result.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Try a factory reset.  With the power connected, find the reset button (could be behind a pinhole) and press and hold it for no less than 30 seconds.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Doc_Corcoran
Channel Surfer

@renojim I have done that one twice...it is frustrating me because factory reset should have taken care of it, at least that’s what I thought...

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I think "factory reset" is a misnomer since it obviously doesn't return it to the state it left with from the factory.  Try giving @RokuMary-F the information she requested and maybe she'll be able to help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the follow-up, @Doc_Corcoran.

Can you please provide the serial number of your Roku device from Settings>System>About? I'll be able to pass it along to our Support team who can assist you further.

Many thanks,
Mary

0 Kudos
brebg

Hello. I'm curious if you got this fixed yet? I have a Roku Ultra, and it sounds like the issue I've been having since yesterday is the same as yours: black screen with "no video signal".

I've tried both HDMI ports on my tv, and I've tried different HDMI cables. One of the cables is being used for a DVD player which displays picture on the screen fine so I know it works...didn't work with the Roku.

I also tried the factory reset. I held the button down WELL over 30 seconds, the light never started flashing. It almost seems like it's stuck. Even after unplugging it and letting it sit for a few minutes.

I don't have a second tv to test out.

0 Kudos
Vvshannonvv
Reel Rookie

I am having the same issue with my HD streaming player. It prompted for an update and then screen went blank after supposedly going to restart. The light doesn’t even come back on at all when I tried to unplug and replug it back into the power source. It’s almost like it’s totally bricked. Which if I knew this was going to happen I wouldn’t have done the update. I have tried the reset indentation on the back of the player and still nothing. It won’t restart. How do I fix this? The serial number of the unit is X00400M116F6

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Doc_Corcoran
Channel Surfer

@RokuMary-F the SN is on the device itself.

CU381HO727O5 

the device when turned on goes through everything and wants to automatically update. So, getting into settings now, would be difficult 

0 Kudos