Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeFromMesa
Level 9

Re: Roku with Sony 4K TV

"fuzzy" wrote:
make sure your sony apps hdr adjustment is same as the roku input as they can be differant

How do you adjust HDR for the built-in apps? I did not see anything like that when I looked through the apps. I saw no adjustments other than things like closed captioning.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 10

When you are watching a built in app in HDR just check your picture settings on the tv. They should be the same settings you see when watching HDR on the Roku.

My Samsung TV uses the same picture settings for the built in apps as it does when watching them on the Roku and the built in apps appear to be slightly better in picture quality (color and sharpness)
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra 4640 (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
MikeFromMesa
Level 9

"rockou" wrote:
When you are watching a built in app in HDR just check your picture settings on the tv. They should be the same settings you see when watching HDR on the Roku.

My Samsung TV uses the same picture settings for the built in apps as it does when watching them on the Roku and the built in apps appear to be slightly better in picture quality (color and sharpness)

That is one of the issues I have with streaming on the TV rather than through the Roku. I can find no way to determine what the image settings and/or the streaming speed is. Some of the apps will tell me the speed if I press the "play" button, but others will tell me nothing, and there is no way that I can see to tell anything about the image when streaming on the TV that works for all built-in apps.

I can do that for all of the inputs I have attached - TiVo, dvd player and Roku, but I can find nothing that will tell me what the input stream is or how fast it is that works while streaming using the TV that works for all apps. Nothing, so I have no way to check the HDR settings.
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"MikeFromMesa" wrote:
This sort of thing makes me wonder why a company like Sony would set its "Enhanced" HDMI setting off on a high end 4K TV when I would think they should expect that users would want both the 4K UHD and the HDR functionality to work.

I do not know the answer as to why many TV manufacturers turn this feature (and others) off by default. It could be to keep the yellow engeryguide sticker lower and look better comparable to other TVs or maintaining the panel's standard lifespan.

Why does TVs have a retail mode for stores to use and no common users will never ever access it? Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

"Tajson" wrote:
"MikeFromMesa" wrote:
This sort of thing makes me wonder why a company like Sony would set its "Enhanced" HDMI setting off on a high end 4K TV when I would think they should expect that users would want both the 4K UHD and the HDR functionality to work.

I do not know the answer as to why many TV manufacturers turn this feature (and others) off by default. It could be to keep the yellow engeryguide sticker lower and look better comparable to other TVs or maintaining the panel's standard lifespan.

Why does TVs have a retail mode for stores to use and no common users will never ever access it? Smiley Happy

With Samsung sets, there have been reports of picture issues with the HDMI set to UHD color with HD only devices connected. I haven't noticed it, but that could be a reason for them to have the ports set to off by default.
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
MikeFromMesa
Level 9

"atc98092" wrote:

With Samsung sets, there have been reports of picture issues with the HDMI set to UHD color with HD only devices connected. I haven't noticed it, but that could be a reason for them to have the ports set to off by default.

Sounds right. I suppose the sales people might think that turning the functionality off is a better solution than fixing it.
0 Kudos
fuzzy
Level 8

"MikeFromMesa" wrote:
"fuzzy" wrote:
make sure your sony apps hdr adjustment is same as the roku input as they can be differant

How do you adjust HDR for the built-in apps? I did not see anything like that when I looked through the apps. I saw no adjustments other than things like closed captioning.

when watching apps on the sony tv go to action menu, picture adjustments in hdr setting make changes. sony has different settings for the apps, ota channels and others(roku)
sony xbr65a8g tv, TX-RZ810 ONKYO rec., HDMI to REC., roku ultra and roku3 both wired, 100mb fiber
0 Kudos
MikeFromMesa
Level 9

"fuzzy" wrote:

when watching apps on the sony tv go to action menu, picture adjustments in hdr setting make changes. sony has different settings for the apps, ota channels and others(roku)

Interesting. I did not know that. I assumed that when you made an adjustment in the Action Menu controls it was for all display formats on the TV.
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 10

My Samsung TV is the same way. You can set each input on different modes (movie/standard/ etc.) and you can also change the picture settings for each mode and it can be different for each input. For example, I could have the Roku on HDMI 1 set on movie mode with a brightness level of 45 and then have my Directv DVR on HDMI 2 set on movie mode with a brightness level of 50.
When HDR kicks in it gives an even different set of picture settings that I can change and save.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra 4640 (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos
sunilr
Level 7

I have an xbr85x850d with a ROKU 4 so no HDR. Iron Fist for example using the TV Netflix app is in HDR and the colours look great, but so much grain. Using the Roku app and the colours not so bright but a lot less grain for a better picture in my opinion. Though watching Planet Earth 2 in HDR is just absolutely awesome.
0 Kudos