Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku will not stay on the correct channel after we use remote

Vizio TV HDR. Roku plugged into side port. If I use the remote it switches me back to cable.  I got it set up by quickly using TV remote and Roku remote.  Got it set up on the computer and thought that would solve.  The channel is live and has everything I programmed, but will not stay on Roku channel.  Any thoughts?  Can I call someone?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Roku will not stay on the correct channel after we use remote

@JennaB630 wrote:

Vizio TV HDR. Roku plugged into side port. If I use the remote it switches me back to cable.  I got it set up by quickly using TV remote and Roku remote.  Got it set up on the computer and thought that would solve.  The channel is live and has everything I programmed, but will not stay on Roku channel.  Any thoughts?  Can I call someone?

Roku uses the same IR codes as Vizio TVs. My Sharp Roku TV remote will change the Vizio I use as a computer monitor, and vice versa. What I do is block the Vizio's IR receiver window. But then I don't normally need to do anything with the Vizio TV. 

You didn't say what model Roku you are using. If it's a WiFi Direct remote, you could put tape over the IR emitter window on the remote so it won't be seen by the TV's sensor. You might also have to tape over the Roku's IR receiver, so the Vizio remote doesn't try to change it. If you need IR control of both devices, you're kind of stuck. Regardless of which Roku you have, you could use a phone app to control it, and again cover the IR receiver on the Roku so the TV remote won't change the Roku.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

@JennaB630 Another thought here—it sounds like you might have HDMI CEC enabled on your TV, which is causing your TV to switch inputs whenever activity is detected from a different source (cable box vs. Roku device) Try looking in your TV's settings and disable HDMI CEC to see if this helps stop the behavior you are seeing. If you need additional help adjusting those settings, I'd recommend reaching out to Vizio support.

Please keep us posted! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Highlighted
Level 7

It's a Roku premiere; I've read that for Vizio, the CEC can be an issue - now just have to try to figure that out.  The strange this is that my son uses the same port for his Nintendo Switch without issue.  I'm (obviously) not tech savvy, so I'm not sure if it's a fair comparison.

0 Kudos