Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Snecel
Level 7

Roku ultra: no video with audio splitter

I have a Roku ultra with a hdmi and optical audio connection in the back. I want to be able to take the hdmi feed and plug it into and AV splitter and have it output hdmi video and optical audio. Right now when I run thru the splitter I get no video signal and no audio.

I have a cable box I do the same with and it works perfect with the splitter. Over all I want to do this so I can install a hdmi switch for cable and Roku and avoid having to manually change cables everytime. The video goes to a projector and the audio goes to a stereo.

Roku works fine if I just plug it directly, but not when using the splitter. Please help. Thanks
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku ultra: no video with audio splitter

Hi there! 

Thanks for the note. Unfortunately, we don't support the use of splitters for audio/video output, as results can vary widely depending on a number of factors. 

We'd recommend looking into another option to route individual audio/video output from either the display source or audio receiver into the secondary device/source you are looking to use in this scenario. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Snecel
Level 7

I understand that you don’t offer support for Av splitters, but might another splitter work if I tried a different one? Or is it guaranteed not to work with any splitters?
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

I think what he is saying is that its hit or miss on splitters. One main reason is that digital signals will require an hdcp handshake with both devices and a splitter between them may prevent it from occurring. 
A basic AVR with a few hdmi inputs would be the best route.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
Snecel
Level 7

I’ve decided to go with a audio splitter for the cable and a hdmi switch for the video. If the new splitter works I can hook it up at the switch output for both and run one audio cable to my pre amp. If not I apply it only to the cable box before the switcher and run two audio cables to my preamp. Problem solved but a little annoying
0 Kudos