Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
noelman
Reel Rookie

Roku ultra- no signal after sitting idle for more than a few minutes

Jump to solution

I purchased 2 Roku Ultra's approximately 6 months ago.  They both were working great until about a month ago.  Now the Roku in the living room is constantly giving me a "no signal" message".  The Roku is plugged into a brand new LG OLED tv.  I've tried using every hdmi port, I've swapped the hdmi cables (including using one of my own), I've tried swapping the power cables, and I've tried both Roku Ultra's on my living room tv.  Both Roku's have the same problem.  Both Roku's work on different tv's in the house. 

Here's the really weird thing- if I unplug and plug the Roku back in, and immediately go to whatever I want to watch, I have no problems.  But if a wait 5-10 minutes after I unplug/plug the Roku in, I'll get the "no signal" message again.  My best guess is this is an issue with an update that occurred on either my TV or the Roku, but I'm not sure how to fix the issue.  Hence this post.  It's getting rather annoying to have to power cycle the Roku every time I want to use it!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku ultra- no signal after sitting idle for more than a few minutes

Jump to solution

Roku operating system version 10.5 added a new "Power" item in the "Settings > System" menu for some of the latest Roku models. In my estimation, these power management options weren't very well thought out. If this is the cause of your problem, it has been reported that pressing the Roku remote's Home key should bring it back to life without having to power it down.

If you have a "Settings > System > Power" menu item, under "Auto power savings" see if deactivating "After 20 minutes of no interaction" keeps the Roku from shutting down.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Roku operating system version 10.5 added a new "Power" item in the "Settings > System" menu for some of the latest Roku models. In my estimation, these power management options weren't very well thought out. If this is the cause of your problem, it has been reported that pressing the Roku remote's Home key should bring it back to life without having to power it down.

If you have a "Settings > System > Power" menu item, under "Auto power savings" see if deactivating "After 20 minutes of no interaction" keeps the Roku from shutting down.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
noelman
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That solved the problem.  Thank you!

0 Kudos
milchuck
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I'm having a similar problem where I get "no signal" intermittently, usually when I'm watching a series and there's a slight delay between episodes it loses the signal.  I've got the latest software, am hardwired to 1G internet, swapped out HDMI cables, etc and nothing seems to work.  I looked for this "power" option in the menu and it doesn't seem to be there and I've got a Roku Ultra (4640X).  Pressing "Home" button does nothing and the white light on the front of the Roku doesn't flash as it usually does when it's receiving a signal from the remote.  The only fix is cycling power to the Roku but that gets annoying after a while.

0 Kudos
noelman
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Double check that you don't have the power option (setting, system, power).  You need that option to do the solution that I did. 

I'm guessing that you probably can run your Roku to get the latest updates.  This is a shot in the dark, but settings -> system -> system update looks like a solid candidate.  Maybe run that and see if you have a power option?

0 Kudos
milchuck
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I've had the latest update for a while and there's no power option.  I've had this Roku for a couple years now and this same problem, which has been experienced by numerous other people based to online forums, has persisted.  Roku has software issues they either can't or won't fix.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @milchuck,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community. I'm sorry to hear about the experience, that's not what we aim for.

I understand that you are receiving an error of "No signal" on your Roku Ultra, is that correct?

In addition to the details you have provided,  can we ask how are powering the device?

Can also you please provide the serial number/device ID on your Roku device? I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
milchuck
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

My issues are actually twofold and have been happening for at least a year now:  I intermittently lose the Roku signal and the screen defaults back to the TV screensaver and says "No Signal" on the bottom of the screen.  This typically happens when I'm watching a series and during the pause going from one episode to the next.  Sometimes I can hit the Home button on the remote and it reestablishes the Roku signal but often I have to cycle power to the Roku to get it to work correctly again.  Additionally, the Roku will intermittently drop sound while watching for just a second or so.  It's almost like a "skip" if you were watching a DVD.  It can go hours and be fine but when it starts it seems to occur every minute or so and can be quite annoying.  The Roku is plugged into a wall outlet and is direct connected to a 1G internet connection that is powering multiple devices, all which work fine.  I've tried swapping out high end HDMI cables, have tried wireless instead of ethernet, and have had the Roku connected to two different LG TVs (currently LG 65" OLED65CXPUA) and the same problem persists so it's pretty clear the problem lies in the unit itself or the Roku software, especially considering a ton of other folks online are having the same issues.  If the serial number is the long sequence on the back of the unit it is 7LC737872900 and the FCC ID is TC2-R1013.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
noelman
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

FWIW, my Roku ultra is plugged into the same make/model of TV (65 inch LG OLED), and my issue was the Roku.

0 Kudos
milchuck
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Did you find a solution?

0 Kudos