Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lewis3316

Roku ultra flickering screen

Ever since the update my roku has video flickering on 4k video. Now before you say it is TV or cables I have brought my other one from the bedroom and used the same cable no problem. It is a premier. I have run 4k from streaming services on apps on TV, also run from streaming off my computer. The only unit that doesn't work is this roku. I have changed settings that were listed on several post. ( auto detection disable, hdmi version and have tried several different cables) nothing works. It worked fine before the update so I did a factory reset ( no good). Please help. 

Labels (2)
20 REPLIES 20
Ski6266

Blinking playback

Just getting set up and the streaming blinks constantly. Outside of Roku everyhing works great.

How do I make it stop? Is it a bad box?

Poorjohnny
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku ultra flickering screen

I’m having a similar issue. It’s mostly when I’m streaming a show with ads. Every time it’s about to go to the ad, it flickers and shows my TV’s info at the top like it does when the hdmi first connects when powered on. I have a Roku ultra on version 9.2.9.4807. I’ve tried all the settings mentioned and tried resetting the hdmi handshake. Nothing is helping. 

Did you fix your issue? If so, what helped. 

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

@Poorjohnny Thanks for the note here. A few thoughts related to this that should help resolve these types of issues: 

- If you are using a 4K capable Roku device, you'll need to make sure you are using an HDCP 2.2 certified high-speed HDMI cable in order for video to play properly. Standard HDMI cables may not provide quick enough data transfer rates, and can cause video playback issues such as you described.

- We'd also recommend trying a different HDMI port on your TV to see if your results vary. 

- You might also make sure you've disabled 'Auto-adjust refresh rate' in Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Advanced display settings. 

Thanks,

Tanner

There is no Advanced Display settings option in Advanced system settings for the Roku TV I bought a few weeks ago. Any other way you would know to disable auto refresh rate?

0 Kudos
wolfaineer
Reel Rookie

hi there

I have a roku ultra also, bought in 2019. I have this flickering problem with my roku on 4k 60hz HDR. Where is this supposed advanced settings? I cant find it.

0 Kudos
Samsung5User
Reel Rookie

I had this issue with a Samsung Q8FN series TV. 'Auto adjust refresh rate' was already disabled. The only other parameter was changing HDR Subsampling from 4.2 to 4.2.2 and that seems to work. The issue seems somewhat temperature sensitive so I will have to see it it is still working after several hours but so far so good.

Samsung5User
Reel Rookie

On your Roku Ultra go to:

Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Advanced display settings. 

Change Auto Adjust Refresh Rate to Disable. And then on HDR Subsampling, try the other setting. In my case I went from 4.2 to 4.2.2. That did the trick.

wolfaineer
Reel Rookie

thanks for this, I forgot to reply this thread about the problem. 

I did what you stated above some weeks back, (I was just tinkering with the settings), and it does indeed work. I don't understand it, but it works.

0 Kudos
Samsung5User
Reel Rookie

Besides changing the HDR subsampling to 4.2.2, for best performance I used the highest quality HDMI cable and the best quality Cat8 Ethernet cable I could find.  Now the flickering and blinking occur only one about once an hour. Problem fixed!

0 Kudos