Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DA123
Level 8

Roku ultra 2020 SD mkv playback aspect ratio issues

The problem.  480 p & I mpeg2 mkv files which are anamorphic/widescreen, but playback is at a 480 width.  The effect is that the picture is squeezed and out of proportion.

I run both Plex and Emby.   Both player clients, and many files, all exhibit the problem behavior.   Because of this, I believe this is a Roku software issue.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: Roku ultra 2020 SD mkv playback aspect ratio issues

Try testing out RMP as well.

Regardless, you need to contact Roku directly about this:

chat or email:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options     (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help?)

and/or contact @RokuDanny-R  and/or @RokuChris (Roku Media Player)

0 Kudos
JRSmith
Level 7

Same problem here and it has not been addressed as of 3/21/21. The older three Roku units I have do not have this problem; only the Ultra 2020 unit. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

Since there hasnt been a firmware update since early February (9.4.1-4236), and thats the only one since the OP (not that the issue couldnt have or didnt predate the OP), you'll probably have to wait another build or 2 before this is likely to be fixed (6-12 months or never are not uncommon fix times for Roku).

Its also likely OS 9.5/OS10 will drop before another 9.4.1 build does at this point (should be announced at the end of March/early April), and that will likely add to the fix time.

JRSmith
Level 7

Thanks for the response. I guess we'll have to wait. I do have a workaround by using my Nvidia Shield TV Pro for the SD stuff.

-Jack

0 Kudos