Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gamul1
Level 7

Re: Roku suddenly returns to home mid show

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
Possibly. If you purchased it from Roku, then PM me your name, address, phone, email, and serial #, and I'll get you in contact with someone from CS to run through a few things. If it still doesn't work, then they'll be in a position to RMA the device.

If you didn't purchase from Roku, and you're still within the "return" window from where you bought it, it might be quicker and easier to just get it exchanged.

C. Shawn Smith

Yes - I bought it from Roku direct. I'll PM you the number. Is the fact that I just threw out the original box though going to be a problem?
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

OpenDNS or Google DNS refers to a setting in your router. If you post the model of your router someone here will be able to help you.

To reorder your channels, press the * button on your remote when you're at the main/home screen and on the channel you'd like to move and a menu of options will appear.

-JT
0 Kudos
gamul1
Level 7

My router is the Actiontec. MI424-WR rev C. As a point of note: if changing this involves getting into the admin of the router, we can skip those steps as I know how to enter admin mode from a web page. I don't know where in there this setting might be though.

Of course - one thing I would want to know would be what possible impact would changing this setting have?

And - if this is a viable solution - why was this working fine before 2 days ago?
0 Kudos
gamul1
Level 7

I'm not saying its fixed but I was able to watch a show tonight. I did two things leading up to watching the show. First, I deleted and re-added the Amazon channel. Next I switched my connection from wifi to a hard wired connection. Whether or not these had any effect on the issue I have no idea. But one show worked for now.

For now I'll keep an eye on the issue and hope for the best.
0 Kudos
Tbit
Level 7

While on this forum searching for solutions to similar issue I have found at the very least 3 other Topic lines (i.e., see: Roku back to homepage, Roku constant stream problems...) within the forum's first two pages that express the exact same or similar concern with the Roku suddenly stopping somewhere in the play of a movie or other programming.

I currently have the same issue/ concern with the Roku 2 XS, and it does not appear to matter what programs/ movies I am watching. The movies/ shows stream flawlessly (no jumping or skipping) but suddenly "stop" and return me to the home screen of whichever program I am watching the movie through.

Just to test the provider I attempted to watch a movie through Crackle on my home computer, for example, to see if there was a concern with the website and the movie played fine with no stop interruptions. The movies did not play fine through the Roku.

I have the updates for the Roku and a fast internet connection so the concern is not with that. The Roku simply has stream issues or loses "contact" somehow with the program.
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"Tbit" wrote:

Just to test the provider I attempted to watch a movie through Crackle on my home computer, for example, to see if there was a concern with the website and the movie played fine with no stop interruptions. The movies did not play fine through the Roku.

I have the updates for the Roku and a fast internet connection so the concern is not with that. The Roku simply has stream issues or loses "contact" somehow with the program.

The test you did is not a good diagnostic to do. The computer and Roku use different methods of streaming, and could have completely different servers. The culprit is most likely a network issue, however. Your service provider's DNS servers may not be hitting the nearest available servers, and instead hitting one clear across the country. And if it's hitting one that has high latency (even if it's close to you), then that may cause the disconnection/interruption.

Likewise, a momentary spike in traffic, or a router setting, can also cause a momentary lag spike, which could be causing the Roku to lose the connection.

There are a dozen variables that could all cause this exact behavior. It's the process of ruling them out that we need to do before we can conclusively say "it's the box."
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
billeuph
Level 7

I'm having the same problem with the Roku 1 HD and Amazon. I have NO problem with Netflix or YouTube on the Roku, so it seems unlikely that networking is at fault. What is really bad about this is behavior of the Roku/Amazon app when a a problem occurs. We've streamed Netflix on our Roku for months. Occasionally, especially on busy Friday and Saturday nights, the app has to pause the video and buffer, possibly reducing video quality, but playback always resumes where it was interrupted. I can even pull the Ethernet cable to simulate a network cut, and the Netflix App will resume playing in the spot where it was interrupted when the connection is restored.

With Amazon/Roku, the behavior is much less forgiving. I am dumped back to the home screen, and I'm forced to search to find the show again, then it doesn't resume play where it was interrupted but rather from the start. We were watching the BBC show Midsomer Murders last night, and it repeated this dump-back-to-home-screen seven times during the 90 minute show. If we watch Amazon on our Macs or PC through a browser, we don't have this problem. We have NO networking issues on any of our other computers/boxes using our Verizon FIOS service, so I'm not willing to diddle with DNS settings to fix Roku/Amazon and possibly break something else in the process.

What needs to be fixed here isn't the network, but the behavior of the Roku/Amazon App when there is a glitch. For now, we've dropped our Netflix streaming service and are trying Amazon, so the Roku won't be used until either Roku or Amazon fix this problem with the App. We're back to watching on our Mac plugged in to the HDMI port of the TV. It's not as convenient as the Roku, but it is very stable.

Bill Anderson
0 Kudos
jclark
Level 7

This is happening to me too. It definatley is a problem with the Roku. Roku better get their Sh*t together and get this fixed. If there was a slow down in the stream the old Roku would buffer again at a different speed, but at least you could continue your show. Not so now. It makes it almost impossible to watch a show. This is HUGE flaw with Roku 2, and they better get it fixed. If you stream from Amazon...DO NOT BUY ROKU 2.
0 Kudos
stratcat96
Level 7

I have Roku 2 XS and stream from Amazon without any problems... There's something in your set up causing the issue, not the Roku 2
0 Kudos
__5
Level 7

removed!
0 Kudos