Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gamul1
Level 7

Roku suddenly returns to home mid show

I've been having a problem watching shows today that's new. I've been watching some old TV shows on Amazon instant video. I'll be watching the show when suddenly it stops and backs up all the way to home. Its not instant home but it will go to the show menu, then the search menu, then home. I'll click through and restart the show, fast forward to where I was and start watching, only to have the problem repeat. Some tied I can only watch another 1 minute, some times maybe 10. But it keeps doing it.

I've rebooted the Roku box but it does it still. Any one seen this before? Any idea what's up?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
26 Replies
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: Roku suddenly returns to home mid show

Can you give us some titles so we can test those ourselves? Also, are you on the Roku 1 or the Roku 2?

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
ScorchLopez
Level 7

Same thing is going on with me and it's really starting to bug the hell out of me lol.
Watching Supernatural Season 1
Thing is it's not just doing it to TV shows, It did it to a movie aswell so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
I'm on Roku 1.
Was working just fine up until today.
I know it's not a internet issue, called them and they said that the internet is fine in my area and it's not a router issue either.
0 Kudos
gamul1
Level 7

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
Can you give us some titles so we can test those ourselves? Also, are you on the Roku 1 or the Roku 2?

Thanks,
C. Shawn Smith

Sure!

Roku 2.

Was watching Farscape. Season 2 episodes 12 & 13 were definitely doing it. These are free with Amazon Prime.

When loading the visor Roku reports the quality to usually be 4 dots and the play back is running beautifully - until it suddenly drops out.

This just started yesterday for me for the first time. Although I had not watched it for a couple days.
0 Kudos
gamul1
Level 7

OK - just got home and am trying it again. Things are definitely not good with this Roku box. I rebooted both the Roku and the cable box and tried again but it is worse today. I am not able to play any movies or shows at all. All of them just return back to home after starting to load the first time. I even replaced the batteries out of desperation.

For the most part this is using the Amazon channel. I tried the Netflix channel but nothing seems to even load on the menu of this channel for me to try. I'm in the middle of trying a show on the private HGTV channel but the episode I'm trying is still loading after 10 minutes.

The internet connection is fine for computers and devices that have tested it out.

This is the new $99 Roku 2. Do I need to return this as defective?
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Possibly. If you purchased it from Roku, then PM me your name, address, phone, email, and serial #, and I'll get you in contact with someone from CS to run through a few things. If it still doesn't work, then they'll be in a position to RMA the device.

If you didn't purchase from Roku, and you're still within the "return" window from where you bought it, it might be quicker and easier to just get it exchanged.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
XOPeiv
Level 7

I'm having the same problem with two different television series. I've used Amazon VOD before, but that's been several months. Haven't had any problems out of Netflix.
0 Kudos
refuuj
Level 7

has anything been figured out on this issue? I'm having the same problem watching Amazon Video. I watched a couple shows on Netflix as well that had to keep rebuffering but it never went to the home screen.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

"refuuj" wrote:
has anything been figured out on this issue? I'm having the same problem watching Amazon Video. I watched a couple shows on Netflix as well that had to keep rebuffering but it never went to the home screen.

Most likely this is a DNS issue with your ISP. Try Open or Google DNS, and see if that helps. Also, removing and re-adding the channels sometimes help, but like I said it is more likely a DNS issue.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
gamul1
Level 7

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
"refuuj" wrote:

Most likely this is a DNS issue with your ISP. Try Open or Google DNS, and see if that helps. Also, removing and re-adding the channels sometimes help, but like I said it is more likely a DNS issue.

C. Shawn Smith

Sorry for my ignorance but what does " Try Open or Google DNS" mean? I am happy to try anything but I don't know what that means.

On a side note to removing and readding channels - is there a way to reorder the channels as shown on the home screen? When I do this it will initially add Amazon to the end of a very long list of channels. I'd like it to be up front so i don't have to make so many clicks.
0 Kudos