Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdbelknap
Reel Rookie

Roku streaming channel freezes at commerials

When viewing tv programs on the Roku channel and the program starts to go to commercial it freezes and no controls, rew, ff, play, will affect the freeze.  The preview panels appear on rewind, etc. and shows segments with one panel black where the commercial should be playing.  The only resolution is to back out to home and start over however it still freezes at commercials.  This problem is not present with other streaming channels such as Pluto.  Any help would be appreciated.

18 REPLIES 18
theZeys
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku streaming channel freezes at commerials

I have seen issues on my new 3820X, specifically watching the series "Coach" on the Roku channel. It sometimes stalls completely during playback (probably where an ad SHOULD load, but doesn't). To resolve the issue I have to back out of the episode and then resume. Doing so causes issues between episodes such that watching multiple episodes, causes the subtitles of the previous episode to be displayed with the subsequent episode. Backing out of the Roku channel, selecting a different channel, then going back to the Roku channel resolves all issues until another stall occurs. 

I have also had minor issues with video stalling and episode continuity while watching Futurama in the Hulu channel on the same system. 

EDIT: I think what I perceived to be continuity issues with the Hulu channel, was in fact episodes that I/we had watched on another device, resuming part-way through the episode. Stalling issues ARE still present in the Hulu channel though and probably related to ad-loading.

My 3600X in another room, on the same wireless network has no such issues in either service channel. 

Both systems are fully updated.

0 Kudos
jdbelknap
Reel Rookie

It appears that this is occurring on certain streaming tv programs as movies have no problem.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@jdbelknap @theZeys

Thanks for the posts.

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate the issue further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
theZeys
Reel Rookie

UNRESOLVED
Model: 3820X
Serial: X0170066IN5T
Device ID: S08Y41861N5T
Software version 10.5.1 : build 4066-CU
Channel: Roku Channel v6.0.15, GC 6.4
Steps to reproduce:
-Enable closed captions
-Watch "Coach" S2E2: "Dauber's Got a Girl"
-when it stalls. press "back" then resume.
-Watch "Coach" S2E3 "Bring Me the Head of Stuart Rosebrock"

After THAT stalls you'll end up with CCs from the previous episode as seen in the image below.

20220205_042600.jpg.20

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@theZeys

Thanks for the post.

I have passed along your concerns and information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Rushhour2

Has there been any updates on this issue? I have the same issue and have run out of ideas on how to get past it. It’s very irritating to say the least.

RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @Rushhour2

Thanks for posting here in the Community.

We do not have enough details from your original message to make an effective suggestion. Could you tell us more about your concern? Please let us know as well the troubleshooting you've tried so we know what steps we should take next.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Tracy11

Hi.

This is still happening. What is going on? Can this be addressed?

Thank you.

Segadean

Ok ..its June 20th 2022... and My Movies Freeze with the commercial image but continues to play the movie. This is extremely frustrating & it happens with separate Roku devices.

Evidently this has been an issue for quite a while ...yet I see zero response to it having been fixed or how we can fix this. I have 3 Rokus. I can easily swap out with a Fire stick or the new free XFINITY ones they offer. Uhmmm...Roku--- you are making mucho $$ from these commercials... please fix this or we will go else where. Thank you.