Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulmuck
Level 8

Roku stops streaming and goes back to home screen

Hi all - I have a fitness center on my business property with 4 televisions.  I have 4 Roku's set up with Sling subscriptions to play different channels.  The TV's play 24/7.  The Roku's all return to the home screen within 24 hours.  I have tried different channels such as the Roku Channel and ABC News Live - same thing happens.  

I have turned off the Roku screen saver as well as the bandwidth saver.  I have turned off TV settings that conserve power.  I have deleted the Sling channel and reinstalled it.  None of these changes have worked.

Any thoughts?

11 REPLIES 11\
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: Roku stops streaming and goes back to home screen

What are the model #s and firmware versions? Settings/System/About

(Make sure you RESTART the Roku when reinstalling:  1) Remove app 2) RESTART Roku 3) Reinstall)

0 Kudos
paulmuck
Level 8

Roku Streaming Stick +

All units are on software version 10.0.0, build 4209-50

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

Make sure you have them powered with the included AC adapter, and not with the TVs USB ports.

Otherwise, sounds like a memory leak/wireless driver issue in more recent RokuOS versions/builds, or an overheating issue (which could be related to the memory leak/wireless driver).

0 Kudos
paulmuck
Level 8

I do have them powered by the TV USB, will switch that out and see what happens - will advise.

If that's not the issue, how would the driver issue get fixed?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

Roku issues occasional wireless driver updates with its firmware updates - so you'd have to wait for the next firmware update (which may or may not include a wireless driver update).

0 Kudos
tech49
Level 8

I'm experiencing this problem also. It happens mostly with Disney+ and Wondrium- video plays about 10 to 30 minutes,  then the app crashes and displays the home screen. It occurs on Roku devices and a TCL Roku TV. 

The TV is directly wired to the router, other Roku devices in the house are wireless. When checking the network through the Roku menu I'm getting 85Mbits of bandwidth. 

0 Kudos
HolidayJim
Level 7

I have Roku Ultra LT that goes back to home page too. Model 4600, direct LAN connection, high quality HDMI cable, most recent software. What's up? Is my Roku defective?

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

@tech49 @HolidayJim 

Your issues are likely unrelated to that of the OP.

Neither of you mentioned your firmware version(s), and "most recent software" is meaningless since Roku uses model-specific builds, staggered releases, limited releases, and location restricted releases, etc.

Known solutions/workarounds for apps not loading/closing to Home:

1) Check for updates: Settings/System/System updates/Check now - try again

2) Change your Theme to the Roku Default: Settings/Theme/Restore default theme - try again

3) Change your Screensaver to a Roku clock: Settings/Theme/Screensavers - try again

4) Remove SD card (if installed) - try again

5) Remove app, RESTART ROKU: Settings/System/System restart/Restart, Add app - try again

6) Network connection reset: Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Network connection reset - try again

7) Completely unplug power from Roku for 10-15 minutes - try again

8) Factory reset: Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Factory reset <--- last resort

NOTE for #5: Do not remove the YouTube TV or Spectrum app - you will not get the app back until the end of the dispute.

0 Kudos
StreamWeaver177
Level 7

I have the same problem with ABC going back to the home screen after about a half hour.  This interrupts viewing resulting in lost segments of video and audio.  All of the remedies seem to miss the real reason, I suspect.  I believe the broadcaster, Mediacom, or the ABC feed is purposely stopping the feed to check if anyone is watching.  Every time it happens I must go back in from the Home screen.  The Roku channel puts up a message asking if I'm still watching after about four hours.  If I don't respond, the feed is cut-off.  I believe these interruptions all come from the providers, and have nothing to do with software updates, power supply issues or changing the settings.

0 Kudos