Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamingNewbie
Level 7

Roku stopped working while watching TV

Jump to solution

While watching TV, I pressed the back button and the TV went black.  I'm using Roku Premiere and have only had it hooked up about a month.  I unplugged it at the A/C source for a couple of minutes, and it came back on when I plugged it back in.

Is this going to be a consistent problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Strega
Level 12

Re: Roku stopped working while watching TV

Jump to solution

What channel/app were you in?

Just from my observation, it seems like the Home button is a "global" or "OS level" button that takes you to the home screen all the time.  However the back button is handled by the app/channel itself.  For example, some will ask if you really want to exit when you press it.  So, I'm wondering if whatever channel you were watching has a bug in its back-button handler.

So far, I have seen one "Roku crash" in the time I've used it and it was a on a fairly obscure channel.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Strega
Level 12

Jump to solution

What channel/app were you in?

Just from my observation, it seems like the Home button is a "global" or "OS level" button that takes you to the home screen all the time.  However the back button is handled by the app/channel itself.  For example, some will ask if you really want to exit when you press it.  So, I'm wondering if whatever channel you were watching has a bug in its back-button handler.

So far, I have seen one "Roku crash" in the time I've used it and it was a on a fairly obscure channel.

View solution in original post

kristyyoung
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the same one and 3 of them have done the same thing, except mine will not power back on. I am not going to continue to purchase Roku. 3 in the matter of months. The first two happened within a day or so of each other so we thought maybe it was an electrical issue that zapped them. They were on different Tvs but a shared wall. The 3rd one went out after 2 months of use. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@kristyyoung

Thanks for the post.

I have responded to the PM that you sent me and will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos