Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku stick + keeps shutting off

My roku stick + I just bought from Walmart yesterday keeps shutting off unexpectedly. I have it fully updated, plug into a dedicated power source. I do have an older roku stick in another bedroom but don’t see how that could be the issue. Please help,

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku stick + keeps shutting off

@Philerlandson 

Thanks for the note.

When you say that the device shuts off unexpectedly, what were you doing? Does this happen on a specific channel? How often does this happen and is it reproducible?

With more information we will be able to assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mgunr
Reel Rookie

Mine shuts off after display box stating idle time 

0 Kudos
mgunr
Reel Rookie

roku exptess

0 Kudos
jillburk71

My TV which is NOT a Roku TV (I have a stick) - shuts off on any channel, Disney, Netflix, Hulu

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@jillburk71

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? If you have a Roku device connected to your TV, is your TV completely being turned off? If this is the case, this is most likely an issue caused by our TV and not the Roku device? How is the Roku device being powered? Is it connected to the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I have a Roku + device that is plugged into a dedicated power source.  It is not a Roku TV.  After about an hour or so, the device shuts off.  The TV is still on and I get a "no signal" prompt on my TV screen.  Is the device defective or is there something I can do to stop is from randomly shutting down?

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@moraisedwardj 

The thread is about Roku Streaming Stick+ devices, but based on your post, you may have a different device.

Some Roku devices have a Power setting on the Settings menu. Look for that. Adjust if necessary so it doesn't go into a low power mode.

Note that low power mode will only start if the device isn't in use. While playing content, this won't come into play. If your device simply shuts off while playing content, this isn't the problem.

If you're on the main menu or screen saver, and it "shuts down" be aware that it's simply going into a low power mode, and can be reawakened via the Home button on the remote.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos

I called it by the wrong name.  It is a Roku Streaming Stick + device.  Thank you for suggesting I go the Power Setting in the settings menu.  There was a box checked next to "shut down after 20 minutes of inactivity."  It did shut down while I was using the Philo app and watching a regular tv show (not a video) but I suspect that won't be an issue any longer. 

Thanks so much for your help.

0 Kudos