Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schley26
Channel Surfer

Roku shuts off, screen goes black.

While watching, Roku shuts off, goes to black screen. I press HOME button and Roku screen comes on but I then have to run thru the whole selection process again. I have 2 tv's, each with Roku device and its happening on both. I have Spectrum as a provider. Any help would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
DieselTech
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku shuts off, screen goes black.

Roku devices don’t shut off. There is no on or off button. You did not mention which Roku model you own? By chance do you have the power for the Roku plugged into the TV? If so be sure you plug the Roku straight into the wall

0 Kudos
SharonH
Channel Surfer

I’m interested in the responses you get.  Our Spectrum App just started going to black every 30 minutes on the dot. It happens with the streaming stick, but not the ultra. TV stays on, App appears to be active (if I hit the back arrow button the guide appears) but sound is off and picture is black, like it’s in sleep mode. 

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

@SharonH  If your having issues with the Spectrum app then reach out to them

0 Kudos
schley26
Channel Surfer

Our problem seems identical except ours isnt every 30 min. Could be 5, 25, 45, anything. Spectrum tried to fix with the usual shutdown/restart and said if that didnt work, contact Roku. When I did, I got a company that wanted me to pay $74 per month to be my fixit service. I'm ready to throw it thru the window.

0 Kudos
schley26
Channel Surfer

Dont know which unit we have, it was a gift and set up for us. I'm sure it is a basic model. Its been in use for 2ish years and just started doing this. You are right, it doesnt shut off but it does "go to sleep". 

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

@schley26  There is no real phone number for Roku. Whatever you found on Google was a scam. Spectrum makes the Spectrum Channel for Roku. If your having issues with the Spectrum channel then reach out to them. Do you have any other channel issues? Netflix? Hulu? Prime? YouTube? Disney+?

0 Kudos
schley26
Channel Surfer

I called Spectrum to fix the problem and they gave me two Roku website addresses. Spectrum said that if their  fix didnt work, I needed to contact Roku. Thanks for your reply. I'm calling Spectrum back..

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to look further into.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
schley26
Channel Surfer

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? 

0 Kudos