Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HypnoAngel
Level 7

Re: ROKU screen flickering all of a sudden

RE: @DougBak wrote:
@SonicMojo wrote:

There is no help coming for this. It's been 6 months now. Roku simply could care less about this issue - especially for us with older boxes. I even bought a new one and it still happens.

Wow... The last message I received from RokuDanny was that the development team was looking into the issue.  I guess it's time to look at alternate products.

I think everyone on here gets a warm and fuzzy from RokuDanny now and then - just to make it look like Roku is working for us. I mean c'mon here guys n gals - 9.40 was released in September 2020.

My gut feel - especially since my 2016 Roku was hands down - the most stable piece of A/V gear I have used in a very long time - up to Roku OS 9.30 - is that 9.40 made some fundamental changes to the OS that Roku either did not know would have negative impacts (for older boxes) - OR they knew they were going to leave a bunch of us high and dry and pushed out those changes anyway.

It is clear by all the complaints both here (and on many other forums) that Roku devs have lost the plot and do not intend to "look into" anything regarding older existing hardware on their latest OS releases. It makes no good business sense to waste time on guys like me - who are very happy with their 2016/2017 Roku Premiere + - instead they forge on with low level changes that clearly abandon that segment (And cause all the oddball issues I am seeing) while supposedly making more forward progress for those who buy a new Roku box.

Let's remember the bottom line here - this company is not about keeping old hardware going - it's about selling new stuff. I know that's harsh - but I have seen nothing from Roku that indicates otherwise.

Sonic.

I bought my first TCL Roku at Christmas 2018. No problems with it. It's a 32", but we wanted something bigger, so went up to a 43" in 2020. It was great for a while, but it has lost its mind. There is no Advanced Display Settings on this model, so I can't do anything there. I have unplugged it for over an hour at a time, unplugged everything from it, except the antenna, and it is still bouncing. I even did a factory reset, and had to sit through it setting up all my net channels and air channels. Still, nothing. It was fine this morning, but as I was watching GMA, is started this, and just gotten worse. I have read all the threads, done everything listed I am able to, and it isn't working. Stupid thing did an update today, and now it is on acid.

Frustrated, 

Hypnoangel

0 Kudos
SonicMojo
Level 9

All

Here is something very interesting. As soon as Hyperangel responded to this thread - about a minute or two later I received an update (Automated or otherwise) saying this:

Your request #(xxxxxxxx) has been marked as solved. If you feel the issue was not resolved and needs further attention, simply reply back to this email and let us know. Thank you!

Now - my request was logged back on Dec 23, 2020 and this response offers NO proof or anything to indicate what was done to "solve" this issue.

Was there a new firmware update that I suddenly missed for my 2016/2017 Roku Premiere that suddenly makes it work again?

UPDATE: see this thread: "Watch TCM Problem with 10.0.0 Update"

Looks like there is a 10.0.0 update in the pipeline....

Sonic.

0 Kudos
cfsavant
Level 7

I didn’t get this problem until yesterday, April 20.  I tried everything, including replacing the hdmi cable.  Nothing works.  It’s definitely the software update of 10.0.0

My Roku Ultra is new, 6-8 months old only because  the other one just died.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@cfsavant

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
SonicMojo
Level 9

Danny

I find these types of requests to be hilarious.

When I had this problem with 9.40 - the Roku tech asked me the same thing but in my case I was staring at a black screen when the flickering was going on with no Roku interface, channel or anything at all.

Not exactly sure how pressing a series of keys while pointing at a device that is not even onscreen is going to help. I could not even see if the Roku was actually on or not.

It was even worse with my Epson projector - the system would fire up and immediate go black screen - never mind any "flickering" - and just stayed black - like forever. Not possible to get any tech data like that.

Sonic.

0 Kudos
cfsavant
Level 7

ROKU

Roku Ultra 4800x

Serial Number: X01000NS3PKT

DEVICE ID: S02A208S3PKT

MODEL 7104X

Serial

Issue ID: 62-160-769

Please save this ticket number 4277631 for future reference.

My tv is video is 720P; and my Roku has the  display type set to 720, not auto detect; however, neither work.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@cfsavant

Thanks for the post.

It looks like you were recently in contact with our Support team. We would recommend continuing to work with them as they would best be able to assist you moving forward.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos