Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CrisTheBro
Level 7

Re: ROKU screen flickering all of a sudden

I mean if we are all having this issue on 9.4 it must be a software issue.

They need to roll out an update soon to fix this, because it’s ridiculous.

0 Kudos
SonicMojo
Level 9

I am stunned by the amount of issues that are suddenly appearing. I purchased this Roku in 2017 and until 9.4.0 was released - I had never had any reason to ever come to this forum because my device had been so rock solid. 

It is baffling to me to see a vendor who logically controls both the hardware AND software environments for these devices - have so many problems? How can an update be so off the mark with so many users? It must come down to testing (or lack thereof) OR the Roku simply cannot properly interface with real world hardware any longer - which puts this platform in a real troublesome spot.

And the lack of any info on fixes is very frustrating. Can anyone comment on what 9.4.0 actually brings to the table (Outside of pointless Airplay support) that might justify this release. I do not see anything that is actually "better". My experience is getting progressively worse with this screen shudder and the ongoing issue of the Roku simply not appearing at all when paired with my Epson projector.

Sonic.

0 Kudos
tsunami231
Level 10

like wise I had mine since 2018 and had no issue till 9.3.0 which when the gamemode failing to work started that might be fixed in 9.4.0? I Think maybe I not sure.

but since 9.3.0 I have not want to "change" input on the tv cause that is what caused the gamemode issue, now 9.4.0  has that hdmi blackout flicker and it has picture setting "defaulting" that also breaks all those setting to the point nothing changes which require the system to restart to fix and re instate that setting, which happens random upon input change.

And so far all 3 the roku tv have these issues...

IF this how all "smart" tv are with there updates I want nothing to do with such TV's Windows 10 and it updates breaking thing is why I dread have update on window 10 I dont want that **bleep** on my tv too

0 Kudos
zenmamawannabe
Level 7

@RokuDanny-R 

My Roku is experiencing the same thing. 

here’s my info:
Device model: 3600X - Roku stick
Serial #: 5S56DE174462
software OS: 9.4.0 build 4190-24

This just happened tonight when I turned on my TV  Roku is directly connected to my HDMI port with no other items connected to the TV. I tried to get the tracker ID using the remote but was unsuccessful. 

Hope that this can be resolved soon. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Boysenberry
Level 8

Re: Roku screen flickering all of a sudden in OS 9.4

I had screen flickering as I was setting up my second Roku Premiere in my bedroom with an old (1 HDMI port) Toshiba tv a friend gave me.  Setup took forever because of the flickering input of account data; however, finally completed.  But NOT the flickering.  I tried powering out and reboot, still flickered.  Since I only had one HDMI port, switching ports was not an option.  As a last resort, I replaced the HDMI cable included with Roku Premiere which I had opened out-of-the box this morning, and, BINGO, no more flickering!  That totally surprised me as the cable was brand new, but defective I guess.  

0 Kudos
Maddog1
Level 7

Screen is flickering. Issue ID 

53-052-959

Model 7101X- Roku TV, SN YN00HT477553 (8L500H477553)

Have tried suggestions in community posts, they have not worked.

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@DougBak 

Thanks for providing us with your information.

Can you please provide us with a tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)?

Thanks,
Danny

53-052-959

0 Kudos
DougBak
Level 8

This issue is still occurring.  It's been months since I reported this, with no resolution.

Please tell me that this can be fixed.  
I've had this same device plugged into the same TV (and even tried on a different TV with the same result) 

0 Kudos
SonicMojo
Level 9

There is no help coming for this. It's been 6 months now. Roku simply could care less about this issue - especially for us with older boxes. I even bought a new one and it still happens.

0 Kudos
DougBak
Level 8

@SonicMojo wrote:

There is no help coming for this. It's been 6 months now. Roku simply could care less about this issue - especially for us with older boxes. I even bought a new one and it still happens.

Wow... The last message I received from RokuDanny was that the development team was looking into the issue.  I guess it's time to look at alternate products.

0 Kudos
SonicMojo
Level 9

@DougBak wrote:

@SonicMojo wrote:

Wow... The last message I received from RokuDanny was that the development team was looking into the issue.  I guess it's time to look at alternate products.

I think everyone on here gets a warm and fuzzy from RokuDanny now and then - just to make it look like Roku is working for us. I mean c'mon here guys n gals - 9.40 was released in September 2020.

My gut feel - especially since my 2016 Roku was hands down - the most stable piece of A/V gear I have used in a very long time - up to Roku OS 9.30 - is that 9.40 made some fundamental changes to the OS that Roku either did not know would have negative impacts (for older boxes) - OR they knew they were going to leave a bunch of us high and dry and pushed out those changes anyway.

It is clear by all the complaints both here (and on many other forums) that Roku devs have lost the plot and do not intend to "look into" anything regarding older existing hardware on their latest OS releases. It makes no good business sense to waste time on guys like me - who are very happy with their 2016/2017 Roku Premiere + - instead they forge on with low level changes that clearly abandon that segment (And cause all the oddball issues I am seeing) while supposedly making more forward progress for those who buy a new Roku box.

Let's remember the bottom line here - this company is not about keeping old hardware going - it's about selling new stuff. I know that's harsh - but I have seen nothing from Roku that indicates otherwise.

Sonic.

0 Kudos