Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku's Roku app stops playing approx 30-60 minutes into the video

This does not happen with any other of the 50 apps I have on my Home Screen it only happens on the Roku app.  For instance all of my Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and Youtube videos play without any problem.  When this occurs the app is hung I can't back out of the problem. I must go to Roku Home screen and select the Roku app all over again.  This has happened ever since I first tried to use the Roku app.  I have only been able to view an entire video about two times  -- all other times I get the lock up.  I am using a 2720X on a 5 MB bandpass.

BTW I attempted to report this properly twice earlier today but somehow was unable to enter any descripton.  Those can be closed/deleted

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku's Roku app stops playing approx 30-60 minutes into the video

Hi there, 

Thanks for the note. Try disconnecting power to your device for a minute, then plug it back in and try once more. 

If that still isn't clearing up the issue, try removing the channel from the Roku home screen, restart your device, then add the channel back once more. This should resolve the issue for you. 

Please keep us posted! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos

In frustration I uninstalled the Roku app about a month ago.  In response to your suggestion I 1) did a power off, wait 3 minutes, power on.  2) I then reinstalled the Roku app. 

3) I clicked the Roku app  4)  I selected the first video on the home screen (Terminator).  The video began playing.  5) After about 65 minute the screen froze.  6)  I pressed the back arrow. 7) I was returned to a screen that asked if I wished to resume or start over. 8) I clicked resume 9) I was neither resumed nor started over but instead returned to the Roku app Home menu.

This ONLY occurs on the Roku app.  I never have this problem on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, or Youtube to mention a few.

If the problem was corruption of the code in the Roku device, the power of/wait/power on should have cleared it.  I the problem was corruption of the Roku app code the reinstall should have cured that.  I can only conclude that the problem lies in a bug in the app code.

I am using a 2720X roku device on a 5 MB bandpass.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for following up. How many channels do you currently have installed on your device? 

Please send me a private message with your Roku's serial number from Settings>System>About and I'll help take a closer look. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos