Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cm34arl
Reel Rookie

Roku returns to home screen while streaming

My Roku streaming stick keeps force closing back to the home screen. I can’t watch anything because within minutes it’s going to back to the home screen, I go back just for it to do it again. I checked updates, shut off bandwidth saver, restarted it, deleted and added the channel nothing has helped. I’m am super frustrated. I even looked up this topic and tried to fix it myself and yet nothing has worked. I was going to go buy a new on but scared to waste my money again. I have the unit plugged into a wall outlet. I know other people have this issue and I've tried to solve it but can't? Please help

22 REPLIES 22
gus327

Re: Roku returns to home screen while streaming

My Roku Ultra is doing the same thing and I'm surprised there are no reply's on this site.

panair

Yup, mine too. It also runs quite hot (into the yellow area on the diagnostic screen).  Love the Rokus but this is the third one (of 6) that runs hot.

0 Kudos
TrekChickAlicia
Channel Surfer

I own two Roku Express, and one Roku Express plus.

Both of my Roku Express models are rebooting every few minutes. The message that pops up on one of the TVs says, "Check the cable connections on your source device". I have tried multiple televisions. I have swapped out HDMI cables. I have tried multiple HDMI ports on the television. I have swapped out micro USB power cables. I have tried plugging the power into the wall as opposed to the television. I am so frustrated I don't know what to do.

I have factory reset them as well as everything else listed above.

TrekChickAlicia
Channel Surfer

mine is doing the same **bleep** thing and I am so frustrated, I don't know what to do. I have two different rokus that are doing it, on two different televisions. I've tried new HDMI cords, new power cords, new HDMI ports. Nothing is helping I have factory reset. I have made sure all of the software is up to date. and when you call Roku they tell you they don't have any phone service available due to Covid. I honestly don't know what to do. I am at my wit's end.

I'm about to say screw it and go back to a fire stick. I hate the fire stick, but at least it doesn't shut down in the middle of streaming.

0 Kudos
TrekChickAlicia
Channel Surfer

So today just for shiggles I decided to record how often this Roku rebootS. In the span of 9 minutes it rebooted four times. Each time it only played for approximately a minute and a half before it rebooted. The last time it was a whopping two and a half minutes. I do not understand why Roku is not addressing this.

installed an update today for version 9.4 or something, hoping that that would fix it.

NOPE

0 Kudos
TrekChickAlicia
Channel Surfer

So fingers crossed I think I might have fixed mine. If you go to the secret menu and factory reset from there, it seems to fix the issue. I have been streaming something for almost 20 minutes now and it hasn't rebooted. Fingers crossed!

I might be premature and telling you this, but if it reboots I will let you know immediately.

0 Kudos
TrekChickAlicia
Channel Surfer

Welp...

I spoke too soon.

Just rebooted.

I did tweet to Roku and someone responded asking me what the problem was. Maybe that's what we all need to do to get some assistance?

0 Kudos
cm34arl
Reel Rookie

I hope that's what it takes good luck and please update if they offer a solution.

0 Kudos

I have tried all the workarounds that I have seen posted and have yet to solve this problem with my roku express. It happens with failarmy, YouTube and Vudu. I would like to watch my vudu movies without having to go back into vudu. It is rather frustrating as I have tried restarting, unplugging and resetting to factory. I bought this device November 23 and am quite close to requesting a refund!