Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sweetness760
Level 7

Roku returns to home screen while streaming

Jump to solution
So earlier this week my modem needed to be reset and since then my TCL Roku TV has been irritating! It doesn't matter what app I'm watching... After 1 episode done being watched.. The next episode starts and then goes back to the home screen! I have tried unplugging the TV... Factory reset... Nothing is working!! When I go back into whichever app to continue watching... The loading is slower... The screen flashes green then starts playing! I've had this TV 4 or 5 months... I dont know what to do... I want to toss the whole TV out the window!! Somebody help me... What do I do?!
One of these things is not like the others...
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Roku returns to home screen while streaming

Jump to solution

In another thread about this same issue, Roku announced they believe they have solved the problem, and if you restart your Roku (suggest actually unplugging it and then powering it back up) they feel it will work correctly. Can't hurt to try. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
35 Replies
dgrace
Level 7

Jump to solution
Your first sentence is my guess where the problem is. Your modem reset was done, I assume, to fix some problem. Often a reset will push firmware/setting updates to your modem. You don't say, but is it also your router? If so, it may have also made changes that have affected your internet access.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
paddymcn
Level 7

Jump to solution
Similar problem here, Roku app streams for a few minutes then stops and returns to the home screen.

Stick is brand new and works perfectly in every other way, no issues with iplayer, youtube, both great in 4K
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution
"paddymcn" wrote:
Similar problem here, Roku app streams for a few minutes then stops and returns to the home screen.

Stick is brand new and works perfectly in every other way, no issues with iplayer, youtube, both great in 4K

Which Roku channel? Just saying Roku app doesn't help much. If per chance you are referring to the Roku Media Player channel, an update was released today that addresses a disconnect from the server. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
WRF
Level 7

Jump to solution
I see the same behavior while watching Discovery go app on my premiere and all three Roku express devices.  I also seem to get into an endless loop of commercials while watching discovery go app. The commercials start over and over. The only way to get back to the show I was watching is pressing the back arrow key on remote and then saying to resume watching.  I have been thinking that the discovery go channel has a problem but can't figure out why that would cause all my Roku's to jump back to my home screen
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 12

Jump to solution
Had this trouble with Acorn Tv, tried selecting Vera or George Gently, found myself back on Roku Home screen. When on for a week, fixed itself.
0 Kudos
Lgb0250
Level 7

Jump to solution
Been blown out of PS Vue a couple of times recently! Been streaming a show and the next thing I am back at the Roku Streaming Stick menu! I thought it was probably the app but now that I’ve read these posts it looks like it may be a Roku problem.
0 Kudos
M1Awesome
Level 7

Jump to solution
This started happening on my Roku 4 last week. It only does it on the PS Vue channel. Haven't seen this behavior on Netflix or Prime Video. Doesn't matter if I'm watching PS Vue live TV or the DVR function in PSVue. The return to homescreen is random and happens in the commercials or in the middle of the shows. It's driving me nuts. Tried deleting the channel, rebooting the Roku, and reloading with the same results. I've had the Roku 4 for 2 years and have never seen this behavior until now. Anyone have a solution? Thanks and Merry Christmas!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Butterfli3s
Level 7

Roku player stops streaming and goes to home screen

Jump to solution
The Roku player will suddenly stop streaming the show or movie I am watching and goes back to the homesceeen. Is there a fix for this problem? It does it on Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video. I have a Roku 1, is it just getting too old?
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Roku player stops streaming and goes to home screen

Jump to solution
Too old? Possible. I can say I haven't seen that behavior on my Ultra, Premiere or my Roku TV. And the last trip I took I used my Stick and it worked fine as well. But others have reported a similar situation, so there might be issues with some players. The Roku 1 was introduced in Sept 2013, so it is getting long in the tooth. 
Dan
0 Kudos