Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Roku returns to home screen after a certain amount of time

Yes, after about 9 months my Roku started going back to the home screen after 2 hours. This behavior started after a power outage. It started a couple weeks ago for me, and I kept hoping it would stop like it did before, but it's not. Booo.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I read, with dismay, many of the replies here (mainly due to the many apologists for this "feature").

I use Plex and it happens for Plex.  And Amazon.  And Netflix.  All of them that I've used.

It was implemented for ONE reason: ad money.

To the misguided person that claims Roku is a company... uh, dude, I paid for the 2 Roku's I have, thank you, and they didn't have this feature when I purchased them.

I think we should all inundate @Roku and roku.com/support with requests that this be optional.  I will.

Every single night I fall asleep in front of a playing Roku.  I managed to get Netflix and Amazon to stop auto-playing episodes, so I could pick up where I left off and watch the last part of any episode I fell asleep on.  Now, with the Roku on the Home screen, I have no idea sometime what I was watching.

Roku, shame on you for doing this to your users.  I can tell you, if you don't change this, I will switch to something else.  The Shield looks like a very nice device that is more highly rated than yours.  And I will not sell my Roku 3 on craig's list.  I will take a hammer to it so no one ever uses it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

"envoy510" wrote:
I read, with dismay, many of the replies here (mainly due to the many apologists for this "feature").

I use Plex and it happens for Plex.  And Amazon.  And Netflix.  All of them that I've used.

To the misguided person that claims Roku is a company... uh, dude, I paid for the 2 Roku's I have, thank you, and they didn't have this feature when I purchased them.

I think we should all inundate @Roku and roku.com/support with requests that this be optional.  I will.

Every single night I fall asleep in front of a playing Roku.  I managed to get Netflix and Amazon to stop auto-playing episodes, so I could pick up where I left off and watch the last part of any episode I fell asleep on.  Now, with the Roku on the Home screen, I have no idea sometime what I was watching.

Roku, shame on you for doing this to your users.  I can tell you, if you don't change this, I will switch to something else.  The Shield looks like a very nice device that is more highly rated than yours.  And I will not sell my Roku 3 on craig's list.  I will take a hammer to it so no one ever uses it.

I too use Plex and I have noticed that it does return to the home screen after two or three hours but it does not return to the home screen when playing anything or when Plex is in the post play screen.

I think this behavior, while not really ideal, is at least OK. I have many issues with Roku and the way they have begun, a few years back, to screw over their customers pretty thoroughly but, in this case, I do not see any real problem. 

However I REALLY think that threatening to smash your Roku is excessively extreme and totally ineffective.

As far as moving to the Shield or the Fire TV I would say, "Good luck." I have Rokus, a Shield TV and a Fore TV as well as a Raspberry PI that I use for Plex only. My experience with all the alternative devices is that, for Plex, they are all inferior to my Roku except for the Raspberry PI and the PI only can be used for Plex. 

I do not really use my Shield much as its only advantages are the superior number of codecs supported and te fact that the Phield Pro (which is the one I have) makes a pretty good Plex server which gives me a solid backup Plex server.

But do as you wish but it does seem a bit immature to make meaningless threats and rant like you have based on a feature that only returns you to the home screen after some time and never interrupts active playback.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
"envoy510" wrote:

I too use Plex and I have noticed that it does return to the home screen after two or three hours but it does not return to the home screen when playing anything or when Plex is in the post play screen.

Mine shoots back Home just fine from the Plex Post-Play screen.

I can attest to that condition because many 'The Cosmos' episodes are employed as cures to insomnia and while I wouldn't normally allow myself to even see the HATED Plex Post-Play Screen (for very long, at least) it ends up there when my Cosmos Sleeping Pill kicks in and I awake to LED Clock with Time and Weather - so I know it's gotten there from Plex's Hated Post-Play Screen.

I hate that Post Play Screen so much I'd like to request my Roku Blast me back Home the moment it sees the Plex Post Play Screen. It takes about as many clicks to resume Plex Operations either way - so it really wouldn't matter.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Roku returns to home screen after a certain amount of ti

"Emissary35" wrote:
No need to force this feature that is unwanted by a lot of people, I too like to come back and resume whatever show I am watching on any app. There is no need to boot me to the home screen just because some designer made this change. I'm really sick and tired of things like this being forced and no option to disable, just check out all the nonsense on the Netflix app that you can't shut off, streaming is starting to develop a lot of annoyances. It seems as though just because some feature can be added it must be, and without choice.

I want the feature! He's not the only one! After 3 hrs of watching a TV show marathon, why should I get back into Sling and find my channel again??!! How ignominious! There is not even a work around. By the way, if you do not survey all of the ROKU owners all over the world, regarding this feature, how can you express to us that the feature is "unwanted by allot of people?" Just like TV news telling me they show stories I want to see... They never asked, so they don't know what I want to see.

The word schmegegge comes to mind, when a company does not give it's consumers a choice on how to run their own device. There should be an option to disable "going to home screen" in any channel. I could also not find it in any "secret menu" or "secret screens."
Highlighted
Level 10

"junkboxx" wrote:
"Emissary35" wrote:
No need to force this feature that is unwanted by a lot of people, I too like to come back and resume whatever show I am watching on any app.  There is no need to boot me to the home screen just because some designer made this change.  I'm really sick and tired of things like this being forced and no option to disable, just check out all the nonsense on the Netflix app that you can't shut off, streaming is starting to develop a lot of annoyances.  It seems as though just because some feature can be added it must be, and without choice.

I want the feature! He's not the only one! After 3 hrs of watching a TV show marathon, why should I get back into Sling and find my channel again??!! How ignominious! There is not even a work around. By the way, if you do not survey all of the ROKU owners all over the world, regarding this feature, how can you express to us that the feature is "unwanted by allot of people?" Just like TV news telling me they show stories I want to see... They never asked, so they don't know what I want to see.

The word schmegegge comes to mind, when a company does not give it's consumers a choice on how to run their own device. There should be an option to disable "going to home screen" in any channel. I could also not find it in any "secret menu" or "secret screens."

Just fire up the new Plex Preview App.
It breaks Roku TV power saving features as well as 'Phone Home', 'cause it NEVER goes back home, at any time, for any reason.
Developers wanting to disable 'Phone Home' need only contact Plex... they've cracked the code.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"DubTaylor" wrote:
It breaks Roku TV power saving features as well as 'Phone Home', 'cause it NEVER goes back home, at any time, for any reason.
Developers wanting to disable 'Phone Home' need only contact Plex... they've cracked the code.

Interesting. I found a post in the Plex forum announcing the beta version with installation link, but I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this channel. The announcement doesn't really explain what this channel is for. Previews of what, exactly?  It says it replaces the Plex Pass Preview Channel, but oddly, I couldn't find a description of that that channel either. 

So are you saying that simply installing this channel will break the Roku power saving feature?  Otherwise how is this helpful to Junkboxx (Sling TV), the original poster (Amazon), or to others who binge on Netflix shows, etc?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

"ginahoy" wrote:
"DubTaylor" wrote:

Interesting. I found a post in the Plex forum announcing the beta version with installation link, but I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this channel. The announcement doesn't really explain what this channel is for. Previews of what, exactly?  It says it replaces the Plex Pass Preview Channel, but oddly, I couldn't find a description of that that channel either. 

So are you saying that simply installing this channel will break the Roku power saving feature?  Otherwise how is this helpful to Junkboxx (Sling TV), the original poster (Amazon), or to others who binge on Netflix shows, etc?

Plex is a home/personal media server.
https://support.plex.tv/articles/200288286-what-is-plex/
If you don't have a ton of DVD/BluRay rips/Recorded TV (out the yang) you're using VLC/Roku Media Player/Etc. to play you have no need for Plex.
If you do have, say, 25 TB (or so) of same - you really do need Plex (or Emby/Other), so much so that you don't need anything else on your Roku at all... lol

The Plex App for Roku comes in two flavors:
The Public app found in the channel store and the private 'Preview' Version which is a preview of the public app before it's released. The Public or Preview Plex apps do NOT go home after a period of inactivity. Never. I can open either one of those apps and spend weeks/months in them with no fear of EVER going home during inactivity. As soon as you leave the Plex app, however, you are no longer under it's influence.

Unfortunately, now that I'm looking for 9.2, if I want to have a chance to get it I have to manually exit the Plex app and manually check for an update. Ideally, if I'm inactive, nothing is playing and the app is just sleeping - I would want it to return home to check for updates and such as is the intent of the function in the first place and one that Plex has broken along with any power saving features Roku may have in mind. <--- for Roku TV units, for instance.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"DubTaylor" wrote:
(Plex Preview Channel)  ...is a preview of the public app before it's released. The Public or Preview Plex apps do NOT go home after a period of inactivity. Never. I can open either one of those apps and spend weeks/months in them with no fear of EVER going home during inactivity. As soon as you leave the Plex app, however, you are no longer under it's influence.

Unfortunately, now that I'm looking for 9.2, if I want to have a chance to get it I have to manually exit the Plex app and manually check for an update. Ideally, if I'm inactive, nothing is playing and the app is just sleeping - I would want it to return home to check for updates and such as is the intent of the function in the first place and one that Plex has broken along with any power saving features Roku may have in mind. <--- for Roku TV units, for instance.

I should have clarified... I've been using Plex Media Server since 2012.  Looking back, I see where we exchanged comments about PMS auto-exit early in this thread. I recall that PMS Classic did auto-exit, but I'm aware that newer versions don't auto-exit.  However, I rarely use the app any longer and thus haven't kept up with latest developments.
So Plex Preview Channel is simply a hidden beta version of the next PMS release?  That explains why I couldn't find it on plex.tv downloads page!  What an odd name they gave it :roll:
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

It's not PMS (Plex Media Server) and it's not hidden. "Preview" is a Preview of the official Plex app you can load as a private channel:
https://forums.plex.tv/t/roku-previews-beta/386800 

The 'Official' app hasn't been updated in a long while (or I haven't noticed, during a manual update check) - maybe because Roku stopped approving it for not meeting Roku specifications... who knows? The point is, the Official Plex App nor the Private Preview version go home at any time. The updates 'Preview' has been receiving have done nothing to address the 'No Phone Home' problem and I can't help but think (guess) until that changes in 'Preview' we'll never see a new 'Official'. At least it's a working theory and since no one 'Official' from either camp is talking about it it's as good a theory as any other. I also have a theory that one day (perhaps soon) the Plex apps for Roku will again go home. I can almost guarantee it.

For the purposes of this thread however, Roku Channel Apps are supposed to go home after a time of inactivity. That 'requirement' hasn't changed as far as I know, nor is it likely to, if my guess is correct. 
0 Kudos