Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jckinnick
Level 7

Roku returns to home screen after a certain amount of time

When I watch shows on the Amazon app I will stop them and leave them on the show description page so I can pick up where I left off from the last time I watched, but since the most recent Roku update when I return to Roku it is back on the home page and I have to go back in to the Amazon app and find the show I was watching last. Does anybody know how to fix this?
0 Kudos
86 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Roku returns to home screen after a certain amount of ti

From what I'm reading, that is intentional. In other words, a change in how it performs, not a bug.

I would suggest to Roku that changes like that be made optional via a menu setting. Users learn how the devices operate and establish behavior based upon that that best suits the user's particular wants and needs. When device behavior changes, that will upset the user's routine on a varying basis. Since I commonly return to the Home Page, it's not something I would have noticed. However, for you, it's a major change. And a menu setting to turn on/off such behavior would have been a better implementation.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Nebo1ss
Level 7

Agreed, i always return the ROKU to the home page by pressing the home key before leaving. I am under the impression that enables the ROKU to time out and go into standby mode.
0 Kudos
anode505
Level 8

+1 for getting rid of this 'feature' of going to home during screensaver.
(I'll have to make a 'jiggler' to keep it from screensaver mode until then)
23rdDjin
Level 7

"anode505" wrote:

(I'll have to make a 'jiggler' to keep it from screensaver mode until then)

on the other hand, you could simply choose "Disable Screensaver".

"if it itches, play it..." - David Bowie - 1999
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

It doesn't go to Home during the screen saver. It goes to Home after the app is idle for a period of time, whether or not the screen saver is running.

Some apps on some devices don't go to screensaver during idle time. Roku will, though, exit to Home after an extended period of time. Then, the screensaver will kick in after the Wait Time has passed.

If your app on your device doesn't hinder the screensaver, it appears as if Roku is exiting to Home during screensaver. But it's actually exiting to Home whether or not the screensaver is running.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
anode505
Level 8

jiggler it is
0 Kudos
w7ox
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
From what I'm reading, that is intentional. In other words, a change in how it performs, not a bug.

I would suggest to Roku that changes like that be made optional via a menu setting. Users learn how the devices operate and establish behavior based upon that that best suits the user's particular wants and needs. When device behavior changes, that will upset the user's routine on a varying basis. Since I commonly return to the Home Page, it's not something I would have noticed. However, for you, it's a major change. And a menu setting to turn on/off such behavior would have been a better implementation.

Yes! I use the USB port to watch movies on a hard drive. I'd like not to relocate where I was the next time I turn the TV on.
0 Kudos
Emissary35
Level 7

No need to force this feature that is unwanted by a lot of people, I too like to come back and resume whatever show I am watching on any app. There is no need to boot me to the home screen just because some designer made this change. I'm really sick and tired of things like this being forced and no option to disable, just check out all the nonsense on the Netflix app that you can't shut off, streaming is starting to develop a lot of annoyances. It seems as though just because some feature can be added it must be, and without choice.
0 Kudos
IKV1476
Level 7

I have been dealing with this for a week or so now.
I figured I would see how it goes, and I don't like it.
Please give us an option to disable this "feature".
0 Kudos