Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku returns to home screen after a certain amount of time

"DubTaylor" wrote:
It's not PMS (Plex Media Server) and it's not hidden. "Preview" is a Preview of the official Plex app you can load as a private channel:
https://forums.plex.tv/t/roku-previews-beta/386800

I was apparently confused by the terminology, specifically the word 'app'...  To me, the word "app" is shorthand for "application software" (as opposed to an O/S, for example). So in my mind, PMS and Plex App are synonymous.  But in reviewing the plex.tv site, I see they now refer to the Plex Channel as an "App", apparently distinguishing client application software (the Plex Channel in this case) from server side software (i.e., PMS). Right? I guess I'm showing my age (I learned Fortran, Assembly 360 & Cobol in college :shockSmiley Happy
0 Kudos
Level 18

"ginahoy" wrote:

I was apparently confused by the terminology, specifically the word 'app'...  

In the Roku world, they use the term "channel" where most other devices would say "app". Yes, PMS is an app (application) but it is quite different from the app/channel used on the Roku. Why Roku went with channel, I have no idea. I try to include both terms if I feel the person I'm addressing might not know the terminology. The Plex channel/app for Roku is solely for streaming your media. PMS of course is the full server application installed on a computer or NAS device that acts as the streaming source. The Preview channel that Dub mentions is simply a beta release of a new Plex channel for the Roku. Since I rarely use Plex unless I'm traveling with my Roku Stick, I wasn't even aware they offered a test version of the channel. The nice thing is that these test channels can be installed along side the official version, so you have access to both without issue. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

A kludge jiggler:

Just run twice from a commandline/cron job every 1/2 hour. (obviously use the IP of the roku)

curl -d '' http://<IP>:8060/keypress/info

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

So how do I fix it?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

There is no fix for a feature, just workarounds.

Highlighted
Level 7

So I just have to suffer? that doesn't seem right..I payed the same amount for my Roku as everyone else.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

You can suffer less with my above kludge workaround curl command

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for that work around.. I did that.. no errors on the script.. but I do not see anything on my screen (in the spectrum app.. )..   have yet to schedule jobs.. but wanted to make sure I'm not missing something 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

The script only presses the info button (twice). Run the line once, see if the info 'stuff' pops up; run again to exit info screen, if the app has one.  Might hear the beep too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks. I see that it did work. but the spectrum app still closes.. guessing that interface needs interaction..

I've looked and seen different things.. but if I can find a way to send the left arrow (which brings up the guide) and then right arrow to close it.. that might work.. is there a guide somewhere.. or know off hand.. what to send to get that to work?

0 Kudos