Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ginahoy
Level 7

Re: Roku returns to home screen after a certain amount of ti

"Emissary35" wrote:
The last two times I watched movies on Netflix in about 30 to 60 seconds I was booted to the home screen....
I agree with Mike. I think all of us have experienced this type of crash from the beginning. In many cases, I have to cycle the Roku power supply. Although not specifically related to this thread, I'll add that I only have the problem on Netflix. Never on PBS or any other Roku channel, So it seems to me this is a Netflix issue, or at least an issue with the Netflix-Roku interface, not the Roku platform per se.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

"ginahoy" wrote:

I have Roku HD (1) and Roku 2 XD, and both do it. Previous comments suggests this behavior also occurs with Roku 3, indeed all models.

The only way I can imagine your friends Roku isn't affected is if its being used mostly for Plex. As noted in previous comments, Plex implements a 'stay alive' script (for other reasons) that interferes with Roku's new return-to-home script.

Bummer. I did read the comments, I hoped something had changed since I just talked to my friend a day ago. I have no idea why I can't seem to get used to this. If only a few other people don't like it, it will definitely stay for good. Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Emissary35
Level 10

"mikebdoss" wrote:
"Emissary35" wrote:
The last two times I watched movies on Netflix in about 30 to 60 seconds I was booted to the home screen. My Roku was not idle, it just ended the streaming and brought me back to the Netflix movie menu and without even being allowed to sit long enough to enter screensaver mode it kicks me back to the menu. It does not do this on Plex however as mentioned here because when watching that I don't have this problem. Whatever jerk programmer put this into the Roku updates deserves a boot to the face, why is Roku ignoring our complaints on this? Oh that's right, they wanted to do this for their own nefarious reasons. Roku is really starting to suck, leave my player in the app until I decide to back out!

That's a totally different issue. We're talking about being kicked back to the homescreen when idle; your problem usually happens when there's a streaming problem, and the app crashes.

It's not a totally different issue, being booted back to the homes screen is the problem here, the app did not crash it simply finishes my movie then kicks me out to the home screen, it did this twice after watching movies that were over 2 1/2 hours. Roku is deliberately changing the code to do this for their own reasons and it's majorly annoying.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
mikebdoss
Level 10

"Emissary35" wrote:
It's not a totally different issue, being booted back to the homes screen is the problem here, the app did not crash it simply finishes my movie then kicks me out to the home screen, it did this twice after watching movies that were over 2 1/2 hours. Roku is deliberately changing the code to do this for their own reasons and it's majorly annoying.

Kicking you back to the home screen when idle is a "feature" (there on purpose). If you're getting immediately kicked back to the home screen during or immediately after a movie in a channel, that's a bug (not there on purpose). They MAY be related, but given that the bug behavior has been around for years, there's a good chance they're not.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Emissary35
Level 10

"mikebdoss" wrote:
"Emissary35" wrote:

Kicking you back to the home screen when idle is a "feature" (there on purpose). If you're getting immediately kicked back to the home screen during or immediately after a movie in a channel, that's a bug (not there on purpose). They MAY be related, but given that the bug behavior has been around for years, there's a good chance they're not.

You may have a good point there, however I've never experienced this 'bug' before of immediately getting kicked out of Netflix right after a movie ends, it has always allowed me to stay in the app until the screensaver came on. So to me this was odd behavior and I think it could be linked to the idle boot out problem, whether on purpose or not this activity of kicking us out of our apps needs to stop, it serves no purpose to the user and I don't care what Roku has to gain out of it.
0 Kudos
ginahoy
Level 7

Well, it looks like those of us who expressed displeasure with this latest change have been heard. Since yesterday, neither of my Rokus (Roku HD and Roku 2 XD) have returned to the home screen. Thank you!
0 Kudos
Highlighted

"ginahoy" wrote:
Well, it looks like those of us who expressed displeasure with this latest change have been heard. Since yesterday, neither of my Rokus (Roku HD and Roku 2 XD) have returned to the home screen. Thank you!

Today was the third day I turned on my tv and found myself on the same episode as the night before. Pretty happy about this, yay Roku. Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Basil
Level 10

But here's the thing...

It still returns to Home Screen after idle time (approximately 2 hours) in certain channels. Amazon doesn't return, for instance, but Shout Factory TV does. I haven't done a lot of testing on this, since my normal process is to exit to Home Screen when I'm done (meaning this issue doesn't impact me to any great degree). However, I did an overnight test on Amazon, and it remained in the app. A test of Shout Factory TV this morning exited after two hours. I may check other apps later, but that's enough to let me know it's an app by app thing.

I suspect a change in 7.2 makes the default behavior to exit after two hours, but certain functions in the app can prevent it. Plex, of course, being one (from what I read) that was determined early on to not exist. Amazon, too.

So, for those that say it's "fixed," you might want to ensure you are checking on the same app as you were when you previously experienced it. The issue never impacted all apps, so a valid test/confirmation would be on individual apps.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
ginahoy
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
for those that say it's "fixed," you might want to ensure you are checking on the same app as you were when you previously experienced it.

My previous comment was specific to Netflix. I just checked and my Roku's are all still on v7.1, which was push out last April. So clearly this welcome change isn't related to a Roku update but rather it would seem that Netflix modified its app so it will stay alive. Good for them.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
remrem
Level 7

Re: Roku returns to home screen after a certain amount of time

I'm restarting this thread because I started having the problem again of Roku returning to the Home screen once it's been on idle for a while or when I turn the TV off. I lost power for a few hours and when I rebooted the Roku the problem was back. I've rebooted the box again and I've deleted and re-added Netflix which is the channel I want it to stay on. Nothing works. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos