Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ginahoy
Level 7

Re: Roku returns to home screen after a certain amount of ti

"remrem" wrote:
There is only 1 way to opt out - unsubscribe within the e-mail itself - which cancels all notifications.

Best I can tell, channel promos and other emails from Roku are completely separate from forum notifications. What I do know is that I receive notification emails to subscribed threads in this forum and I've received zero promotional emails from Roku since I clicked the unsubscribe link in a promo email back in 2013 (yes, I actually track unsubscribe attempts :shockSmiley Happy

BTW, thanks for posting your comment and opinion on this unfortunate change to Roku. I'm the one who suggested it may be to increase exposure to the banner ad on the home page, but your comment about channels paying for more home page views also seems plausible.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
junkmail
Level 8

This just ticks me right off. Is there some other competitors box that I can buy to not have it exit me out of what I was in the middle of each time?

Very annoying. I would gladly spend $100 to end this problem forever. I paused because I wanted to pause, not because I wanted to reboot to home screen. Duh. Who's bright idea was this? You're fired!

I joined the forum just to find if there is any alternative solution to this problem. I thought the Roku was broken or something. I rebooted my router, reinitialized Netflix, etc..

Anybody? Any solution? I am happy to throw this stupid box out the window.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
DubTaylor
Level 10

"junkmail" wrote:
Very annoying. I would gladly spend $100 to end this problem forever. I paused because I wanted to pause, not because I wanted to reboot to home screen. Duh. Who's bright idea was this? You're fired!

I joined the forum just to find if there is any alternative solution to this problem. I thought the Roku was broken or something. I rebooted my router, reinitialized Netflix, etc..

Anybody? Any solution? I am happy to throw this stupid box out the window.

No need to spend $100... Here's a certified refurbished Amazon Fire TV (Gen 2 4K capable) for the unbelievable low, low price of $94 dollars with free Prime 2 Day Shipping! (looks like it even comes with popcorn)

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Refurb ... efurbished

Never say you didn't find immediate help right here on the Roku Forums.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
junkmail
Level 8

Thanks for the reply. I was also looking at the Fire TV Stick with Google's Chromecast. They are pretty cheap. Anyone with any experience with them? Don't want to end up in the same boat. None of the reviews of the Roku mention the auto-un-pause feature I am now experiencing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Basil
Level 10

"junkmail" wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I was also looking at the Fire TV Stick with Google's Chromecast. They are pretty cheap. Anyone with any experience with them? Don't want to end up in the same boat. None of the reviews of the Roku mention the auto-un-pause feature I am now experiencing.

I have both those devices. Good devices, as is the Apple TV. I honestly don't know if the others do this it not, as I use my Roku the most, and by a wide margin.

Chromecast works way different. It uses your phone/tablet to operate, so unless you leave your phone on the app for a long period of time, there's no avoiding the same situation with that device.

Fire Stick? Don't recall. Some here on the Forum use it a lot and could better elaborate.

Keep in mind this is a recent change in the behavior of Roku. Just as, a couple of months ago, Roku didn't do this, they changed how it worked. There's no guarantee others won't do this, too.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
junkmail
Level 8

Thank you Basil, for the great information from actual real life experience. Great value to me. Smiley Very Happy

It would be perfect IMHO if Roku goes back to infinite pause capability. YMMV
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi there. I know this thread is a little old, but I was wondering if anyone has figured out how to stop the Roku from returning to the home screen? I understand it's not a big deal to many people, but I have tried to get used to it, and can't. And it's not just overnight that it goes back to the home screen. Sometimes it only takes an hour or two before kicking me back to the home screen.

I really hate it, but don't want to buy a different device just because of this one behavior. I have talked to someone who says his box doesn't return like mine... He has a different model than I do. I have the Roku 1, and I think he has a Roku 3.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
ginahoy
Level 7

"jabberwocky16" wrote:
I have talked to someone who says his box doesn't return like mine... He has a different model than I do. I have the Roku 1, and I think he has a Roku 3.

I have Roku HD (1) and Roku 2 XD, and both do it. Previous comments suggests this behavior also occurs with Roku 3, indeed all models.

The only way I can imagine your friends Roku isn't affected is if its being used mostly for Plex. As noted in previous comments, Plex implements a 'stay alive' script (for other reasons) that interferes with Roku's new return-to-home script.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Emissary35
Level 10

The last two times I watched movies on Netflix in about 30 to 60 seconds I was booted to the home screen. My Roku was not idle, it just ended the streaming and brought me back to the Netflix movie menu and without even being allowed to sit long enough to enter screensaver mode it kicks me back to the menu. It does not do this on Plex however as mentioned here because when watching that I don't have this problem. Whatever jerk programmer put this into the Roku updates deserves a boot to the face, why is Roku ignoring our complaints on this? Oh that's right, they wanted to do this for their own nefarious reasons. Roku is really starting to suck, leave my player in the app until I decide to back out!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
mikebdoss
Level 10

"Emissary35" wrote:
The last two times I watched movies on Netflix in about 30 to 60 seconds I was booted to the home screen. My Roku was not idle, it just ended the streaming and brought me back to the Netflix movie menu and without even being allowed to sit long enough to enter screensaver mode it kicks me back to the menu. It does not do this on Plex however as mentioned here because when watching that I don't have this problem. Whatever jerk programmer put this into the Roku updates deserves a boot to the face, why is Roku ignoring our complaints on this? Oh that's right, they wanted to do this for their own nefarious reasons. Roku is really starting to suck, leave my player in the app until I decide to back out!

That's a totally different issue. We're talking about being kicked back to the homescreen when idle; your problem usually happens when there's a streaming problem, and the app crashes.
0 Kudos