Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ginahoy
Level 7

Re: Roku returns to home screen after a certain amount of ti

"dfgsrzwer" wrote:
I would guess it is more a "help" to avoid streaming for those that have data caps and inadvertantly leave an app running. But Roku should let users have a choice.

I would be happy to be given a choice to disable return-to-home, but are data caps really an issue here? The return-to-home feature doesn't help if the user leaves the content playing. Otherwise, if the content is stopped within the app (e.g., either by running to the end, or by the user navigating to the content description screen or the app's top level menu), is there really any significant amount of data transferred after that?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Emissary35
Level 10

The banner ad comment is a good one I never thought of, every time you go back to the home screen an ad loads and Roku gets paid. It's in Roku's best interests to boot you back to the home screen when inactive so they can achieve this. Nothing more than business and money taking charge and the user getting the middle finger.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
mikebdoss
Level 10

"Emissary35" wrote:
The banner ad comment is a good one I never thought of, every time you go back to the home screen an ad loads and Roku gets paid. It's in Roku's best interests to boot you back to the home screen when inactive so they can achieve this. Nothing more than business and money taking charge and the user getting the middle finger.

You know Roku is a company, right? And companies exist to make money?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Emissary35
Level 10

"mikebdoss" wrote:
"Emissary35" wrote:

You know Roku is a company, right? And companies exist to make money?

I'm sure Roku is a company out to make money just as sure as I am you are a troll ready to antagonize anyone voicing displeasure with Roku, Netflix, or Amazon as your past posts will reflect. These big companies don't need any apologists, they are doing just fine without you. Paying customers that buy a product and and pay for services have a right to complain however often they want.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Elijah_Baley
Level 9

I wonder why I do not see this behavior on either of my Roku 3s. I use Plex mostly and it is not unusual for me to forget to completely exit the channel.

ex. Last night I forgot to exit Plex before bedtime and I left my Roku on Plex's main screen. This AM I awoke and turned on the TV and my Roku was still on Plex's home screen. It remained untouched and not streaming on Plex's home screen for about 6 1/2 hours.

Also after I went to bed I started a movie on my Roku 3 in my bedroom. I fell asleep and the movie ended. I woke up about 5 hours later and my Roku was on the Plex movie browse screen. It had not returned to Roku's main menu.

So neither Roku 3 returned to the Roku home screen after a long period of inactivity.

I am running software ver 7.1.0 b 4062-04 which I think is the latest general release.

I do not think I have ever seen an exit to the home screen except when a channel crashed, I initiated it or the Roku rebooted.

I am just asking this because, since my Rokus do not return to the home screen after a long period of time there appears to be a way to avoid the issue.

BTW: I am connected wired and I do not have an SD card installed and I only have about 18 channels installed.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
DubTaylor
Level 10

^^ I have noticed that sometimes the 'New' Plex app won't exit - RARflix will. I think it must have something to do with herculean efforts Plex has gone through to keep the dam thing awake for music playback 'after' the screensaver kicks in... or something.

I don't exit the channel with purpose because I have more than a few titles that are the absolute cure for insomnia. I'm lucky if I can set the TV sleep timer, get them started and get the remote to the night stand before coma sets in. The Doc keeps wanting to give me drugs, but I tell him 'The Atomic Submarine (1959)', and on difficult nights 'It Came From Outer Space (1953)' are far more powerful sleep aids than any chemical could ever be. If I could find movies to cure high blood pressure and cholesterol I could save a lot of money on Doctor visits and legal dope.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jckinnick
Level 8

So disabling screen saver works or not? I guess I will try it and see if it works.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Elijah_Baley
Level 9

"jckinnick" wrote:
So disabling screen saver works or not? I guess I will try it and see if it works.

I have my screen saver turned on and I have not even once seen the behavior being discussed.

The channel I use 90% of the time is Plex and it has not exited back to the home screen at all but it does, after about 10 minutes, activate the Plex screen saver.

I do not think it is screen saver related at all.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Basil
Level 10

"jckinnick" wrote:

Disabling screen save has no impact on the behavior.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
ginahoy
Level 7

"DubTaylor" wrote:
^^ I have noticed that sometimes the 'New' Plex app won't exit... I think it must have something to do with herculean efforts Plex has gone through to keep the dam thing awake for music playback 'after' the screensaver kicks in.

I can confirm that Plex Classic is not immune to the new return-to-home-screen 'feature' and my computer (WinXP) won't run New Plex Smiley Sad

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
...since my Rokus do not return to the home screen after a long period of time there appears to be a way to avoid the issue.

I'm not holding my breath for Netflix to go through herculean efforts to to keep its app active on Roku.
0 Kudos