Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
RockYou
Level 7

Re: Roku returns to home screen after a certain amount of ti

Roku seems to keep finding ways to convince me to never buy another one of their boxes... like I really needed any more convincing. Of course, now I might just decide to not wait any longer but go ahead and replace what I have with something else that actually works properly.

Resume is the #1 reason why I still prefer DVD to Blu-ray; it's built-in to the player, whereas only some Blu-ray discs provide it. A box that won't let you resume where you stopped, regardless of how long it's been since stopping (let alone only a few hours), isn't worth having.

Roku has become just plain stupid.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Elijah_Baley
Level 9

"RockYou" wrote:
Resume is the #1 reason why I still prefer DVD to Blu-ray; it's built-in to the player, whereas only some Blu-ray discs provide it. A box that won't let you resume where you stopped, regardless of how long it's been since stopping (let alone only a few hours), isn't worth having.

You do not know what you are talking about.

Roku has its shortcomings but failing to be able to resume is not one of them. It is up to the channel developer if the "resume" function is implemented and even then sometimes the source does not allow it. Roku, mostly, does not write or control the channels and they do not force developers to implement features.

As far as I know all the major channels have resume and many of the minor. In fact no channel I use does not have that ability except WatchESPN and I have inquired there and ESPN/ABC says there are no plans to implement resume as they do not see a demand. (Their words, not mine.)
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
mikebdoss
Level 10

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
"RockYou" wrote:

You do not know what you are talking about.

Roku has its shortcomings but failing to be able to resume is not one of them. It is up to the channel developer if the "resume" function is implemented and even then sometimes the source does not allow it. Roku, mostly, does not write or control the channels and they do not force developers to implement features.

As far as I know all the major channels have resume and many of the minor. In fact no channel I use does not have that ability except WatchESPN and I have inquired there and ESPN/ABC says there are no plans to implement resume as they do not see a demand. (Their words, not mine.)

You said it before I could.

It's kinda weird that the Roku returns to the home screen after a pre-set amount of time, but I think that provides a cleaner experience - most people who leave the Roku in a channel probably did it because they were done, or because they forgot to hit "home" - starting the Roku on the home screen the next day isn't a bad idea for most people.

Ultimately, it's up to the channel designer to implement a resume function. My ideal is to have one of the first options upon loading a channel be to resume the last thing watched (like Plex does), but that's not up to Roku.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
RockYou
Level 7

I know exactly what I'm talking about, but you apparently do not.

I'm saying that I expect the Roku to be where I left it, when I left it the last time I watched whatever channel I was watching. It used to do that; now it doesn't. I'm not talking about a channel UI feature for Resume, which is in fact present on any and all of the ones I use. There's nothing "clean" about abnormally terminating a channel after a few hours of being idle. It's just Roku saying "Forget you!"

You need to pay better attention to what's actually being said.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Basil
Level 10

"RockYou" wrote:
I know exactly what I'm talking about, but you apparently do not.

I'm saying that I expect the Roku to be where I left it, when I left it the last time I watched whatever channel I was watching. It used to do that; now it doesn't. I'm not talking about a channel UI feature for Resume, which is in fact present on any and all of the ones I use. There's nothing "clean" about abnormally terminating a channel after a few hours of being idle. It's just Roku saying "Forget you!"

You need to pay better attention to what's actually being said.

I think he picked up where you said:
"RockYou" wrote:
...A box that won't let you resume where you stopped, regardless of how long it's been since stopping (let alone only a few hours), isn't worth having.

That can easily be read to say that you think Roku is preventing you from resuming, say, Netflix (or Amazon or whatever). It's not stopping that. It's making you go back into the app, find the content (though some do have a "continue watching" option). But it's not stopping that or losing the bookmark. You weren't saying that, but it could easily be read that way.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
RockYou
Level 7

Yes, things can easily be mis-read when one is not paying attention, ignoring the obvious--typically for reasons of one's own.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
belltown
Level 7

The other day I was browsing through various channels trying to find something to watch, and came upon a documentary that interested me. It was over an hour long, and I was getting tired, so I paused the channel half-way through and went to bed. The next evening, when I wanted to continue watching the video, my Roku had returned to the Home screen. I couldn't even remember which of the several channels I'd been perusing was the one I'd been watching, never mind which menus and sub-menus I'd have to navigate to get back there. I gave up trying to find it. Very annoying!

I'm also in the habit of watching TV episodes sequentially on Netflix and Amazon, and like to leave the next episode cued up ready to play. With this new "improvement", to get to the next episode on Netflix I have to launch the channel again, wait 10 seconds for it to load and finish "retrieving", navigate to the 3rd row down (past My List and Search to get to Continue Watching), then navigate two places further left to get to the #1 slot on the grid row, then re-launch the episode, and only then am I back where I left it. Annoying! It's not much better on Amazon. Many channels, e.g. NowhereTV, even though they will bookmark the position within individual videos, have no "take me back to the last video I was watching" function.

Every channel I've watched in the past has made it easy for me continue where I left off; they just did nothing, and when I turned my TV back on, everything was as I left it. Now Roku has decided for unknown, undisclosed reasons to reset my device back to the Home screen. I don't remember seeing users clamoring for such a feature in these forums. It's not the end of the world, but it does seem very unnecessary -- and annoying! If I wanted to return to the Home screen when I was done using my Roku for the day, I'd just press the Home key before going to bed.

Anyway, I have an old legacy Roku 2000C lying around doing nothing useful, so I programmed it to continually ping my Rokus to keep them from going back to the Home screen. The paused video-player will still exit, but at least the channel and the respective details screen are still displayed.
https://github.com/belltown/
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Basil
Level 10

"RockYou" wrote:
Yes, things can easily be mis-read when one is not paying attention, ignoring the obvious--typically for reasons of one's own.

One can also write in an unclear manner. Communication requires clarity from both parties.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
ginahoy
Level 7

This new 'feature' is really annoying. It would seem Roku is trying to get more views of its home page banner ad.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
dfgsrzwer
Level 8

"ginahoy" wrote:
This new 'feature' is really annoying. It would seem Roku is trying to get more views of its home page banner ad.

I would guess it is more a "help" to avoid streaming for those that have data caps and inadvertantly leave an app running. But Roku should let users have a choice.

I don't have a dog in this fight, as I never leave an app running intentionaly and do not have a data cap.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos